Kegworth Show Information

The information for this year's show is now live at www.thehifishow.com or by clicking on the show banner below.

NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS NOW OPEN - Special Offer....Stay Saturday, join in all the build up excitement on Sat night and then gain FREE access to the show on Sunday

ONLY 4 EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT - BIG SYSTEM SPACES SOLD OUT - ONLY 2 NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT

mr neds

Arcam cds 27- half price yes or no?

12 hours ago, BeeRay said:

I don't believe the WHF reviews, I think a lot of it is bs. Launch a new version almost the same as last year's so they can pick an award. Yes they may put on a few new features. If you go by WHF reviews then todays hifi  is miles better than 10 years ago, 20 years ago that stuff must be complete rubbish because every year things improve so much. You don't honestly believe all that nonsense do you?

I don't... not totally. However, having been invited to WHFI towers many years ago and tested different speakers with various amps from the period, there is an improvement, albeit very tiny.

There is one big caveat: Their testing rooms are totally and utterly sound proofed, and therefore IMHO doesn't reflect the real world experience we have on a day-to-day basis. Playing devil's advocate a little, you could also factor in a placebo effect: They only reviewed and recommended new gear, and so I can only conclude that comparison's with older models from the same stable (2 or 3 generations back) is, in their eyes, impossible to compare old with new.

Reviews, regardless who they're from, should only be used as a rough guide, as opposed to a sonic peacock effect.

There is a new ‘budget’ Rotel CD player in the shops soon ...

http://www.rotel.com/en-gb/node/5663

... the Rotel CD11 for £429 (I think) with Texas Instruments DAC (Burr Brown).

Thanks Chebby. I'm looking to spend less than £400! Let a Rotel 1520 go on ebay yesterday - went for £160. Probably a good deal, but a stab in the dark. At least I've got the Oppo if the Marantz fails completely, so I'll just keep looking for the right deal

Actually, what's surprising is that I was under the impression that most people were ditching cd's, so I'd have loads of great deals to choose from. Evidently not!

5 hours ago, mr neds said:

Actually, what's surprising is that I was under the impression that most people were ditching cd's, so I'd have loads of great deals to choose from. Evidently not!

There are some good deals, saw a clean Rotel 965 for £40 recently on the bay, it did not sell so could be still available. The well known brands such as Marantz I think are overpriced. Used cd prices have gone up recently, a few years ago you could buy loads at 1p plus postage now they are over £1. Pioneer PD-S703 Legato Link CD Player for £70? Here is something about it: http://www.lampizator.eu/lampizator/REFERENCES/Pioneer_703/pioneer703.html

Edited by BeeRay

28 minutes ago, mr neds said:

Nice Rotel find, but 27 years old!! Yes, Mr Lampizator is a classic fiddler/tweaker/upgrader, but I lack his knowledge and ability, sadly

Rotel CDPs are a bloody good match with Arcam amplifiers. This I have from years of experience between the two. But given your budget I would go with nopiano and my recommendations.... new budget Marantz, or more recent Marantz CDPs. Again they are a good match with Arcam.

I liked the idea of the Rega, until I read about its picky way with discs, partly due to its buffering system. I don’t want an old Rotel, as its life will be limited. I also don’t think that the bottom of the range Marantz will compete with my cd 17 ki in terms of sound quality. Modern Rotel used prices seem to be wildly optimistic in some cases?

7 hours ago, mr neds said:

Thanks Chebby. I'm looking to spend less than £400! Let a Rotel 1520 go on ebay yesterday - went for £160. Probably a good deal, but a stab in the dark. At least I've got the Oppo if the Marantz fails completely, so I'll just keep looking for the right deal

Sorry, I forgot I was in your thread and thought it was PP’s CD player thread (hence the Rotel CD11 suggestion).

4 hours ago, chebby said:

Sorry, I forgot I was in your thread and thought it was PP’s CD player thread (hence the Rotel CD11 suggestion).

Pay attention, 001.5.