Kegworth Show Information

The information for this year's show is now live at www.thehifishow.com or by clicking on the show banner below.

NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS NOW OPEN - Special Offer....Stay Saturday, join in all the build up excitement on Sat night and then gain FREE access to the show on Sunday

ONLY 4 EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT - BIG SYSTEM SPACES SOLD OUT - ONLY 2 NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT

mr neds

Arcam cds 27- half price yes or no?

Super Wammer

Sounds a good option , do you upgrade them yourself ? I don't have those skills

Super Wammer

The d10 seems only to have usb option but if you are to use with a CD as transport needs co ax in  

10 minutes ago, hifinutt said:

Sounds a good option , do you upgrade them yourself ? I don't have those skills

I bought it second hand with the socket upgrades (don't remember detailed is) I just had to use a hex driver or similar to take out around 4-8 hex screws and pull out a chip and replace it. Took a few mins at most. I guess the seller didn't check the details. OpAmp was about £4 for the upgrade. 

LME49720NA DIP LME 49720NA Dual OpAmp

Edited by Millennium

Super Wammer

Ah I have just fitted a loft hatch catch but could not manage that 

Getting back on topic, I've got a Marantz CD17ki sig, but it won't let me choose individual tracks on cdr's or sometimes even commercial cd's.  I'm looking for something used around the £200 mark, that won't be horrific to listen to, so if anyone's selling, please let me know! Cheers all

14 hours ago, bencat said:

If I am honest the below will sound much better than the Arcam for CD replay . It would also be a very high quality Transport which you could add the DAC of your choice to and produce real high end quality sounds from .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boxed-Pioneer-PD-S501-stable-platter-CD-player-in-great-condition-FREE-P-P/303050902595?hash=item468f3dcc43:g:o4EAAOSwohFcWIGQ:rk:2:pf:0

Yes it will but how long is the lazer going to last and are replacements still available from Pioneer? there may be other chinese units but they are very hit and miss (so Meridian told me when I asked about repairing a 506 some years back now).   

3 hours ago, mr neds said:

Waited too long- It was in the window this morning, before the shop opened, now gone from the website! Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrgggghhhhhh...........................

As the Arcam has sold, personally I'd be looking at this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marantz-CD6005-CD-Player-/323663522410?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

3 hours ago, hifinutt said:

That would be a good dac to try  , at 179 on Amazon.  Recently got one of their little t class amps and it's not bad at all 

I've only just been resisting getting one for myself at that price.

(Edit: note the price excludes a power supply.)

@mr neds do you have a DVD/Blu-ray player you could use as a transport with a DAC?

Edited by MartinC

42 minutes ago, plasticpenguin said:

Yep, or brand spanking new and guaranteed, the previous model for £199...

https://www.richersounds.com/hi-fi/cd-players/marantz-cd-player.html

The 5005 can be had for £119 from Hyperfi- I don't think its previous; just bottom of the range! They also have the 6006 UK for £250. Yes Martin, I've got an Oppo 93EU, which I could add a DAC to, but every time i turn it on, the TV comes on too, due to the hdmi connection and, as someone replied on my last thread, don't ask for recommended DACs on here- the list will be endless!

26 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

Yep, or brand spanking new and guaranteed, the previous model for £199...

https://www.richersounds.com/hi-fi/cd-players/marantz-cd-player.html

Good call. Either one comes with the safety net of a returns. Win, win...

48 minutes ago, mr neds said:

The 5005 can be had for £119 from Hyperfi- I don't think its previous; just bottom of the range! They also have the 6006 UK for £250. Yes Martin, I've got an Oppo 93EU, which I could add a DAC to, but every time i turn it on, the TV comes on too, due to the hdmi connection and, as someone replied on my last thread, don't ask for recommended DACs on here- the list will be endless!

FWIW it's probably possible to stop the TV switching on (I can with my TV and OPPO combo) but it's fair enough if you don't want to go the DAC route, although personally I do thing you'd be very likely be getting better sound quality with a Topping than any of the CD players you can get for similar money. But then I do come from the perspective of their being pretty modest difference between digital front ends across the board, with amps and much more so speakers being the more critical components.

1 hour ago, mr neds said:

Oh yes, apologies, it’s the 6004 that preceded the 6005.  The 500x was simpler, without usb input I recall now. 

And, indeed the latest 6006uk was around £250-270 in the January sales, though Richer’s have just upped the price again!  Amazing value though.