mr neds

Arcam cds 27- half price yes or no?

Looking for a new CD player and this is local for £200, but the reviews seem mixed. Not so bothered about the streaming, but what’s cd replay like? I gather that slow loading is an issue.Any help much appreciated as usual. Cheers!

Super Wammer

If I am honest the below will sound much better than the Arcam for CD replay . It would also be a very high quality Transport which you could add the DAC of your choice to and produce real high end quality sounds from .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boxed-Pioneer-PD-S501-stable-platter-CD-player-in-great-condition-FREE-P-P/303050902595?hash=item468f3dcc43:g:o4EAAOSwohFcWIGQ:rk:2:pf:0

Edited by bencat

Having recently heard the CDS 50 I would say it's typical Arcam. If you like the house sound you tend to get then go for it, especially at the price. Make sure it plays okay before parting with your cash.

1 hour ago, bencat said:

If I am honest the below will sound much better than the Arcam for CD replay . It would also be a very high quality Transport which you could add the DAC of your choice to and produce real high end quality sounds from .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boxed-Pioneer-PD-S501-stable-platter-CD-player-in-great-condition-FREE-P-P/303050902595?hash=item468f3dcc43:g:o4EAAOSwohFcWIGQ:rk:2:pf:0

This has absolutely no upgrade potential because it has no digital output so no good as a transport 

i cant see it competing with the Arcam either. The Arcam was an £800 player.

back to the Arcam... I think at £200 it’s a no brainier. On this you CAN add a DAC later if you wish to upgrade the sound and a streamer to boot when the time is right for you and all the media .. CD SACD and Streamer will be boosted by an off board DAC.

Thanks chaps! It’s from my local dealer, so it’ll have a warranty. Bencat, I’ve had a pioneer stable platter before and found the legato link processing to be too random and intrusive, so as a standalone player, not for me. I saw the Arcam yesterday, so it’s odds on that it’s gone, but I can hope! 

8 minutes ago, mr neds said:

Thanks chaps! It’s from my local dealer, so it’ll have a warranty. Bencat, I’ve had a pioneer stable platter before and found the legato link processing to be too random and intrusive, so as a standalone player, not for me. I saw the Arcam yesterday, so it’s odds on that it’s gone, but I can hope! 

Go for it!

For that price yes - I have newer CDS50 which has better DAC - it plays / streams in my smaller lounge and in all honesty although a slightly darker presentation is only a bit less enjoyable than my LINN Klimax streamer.  I would try use as streamer though this is where the quality will change a lot - you just need a NAS drive and go Ethernet looped into hub and modem.

i ripped about 4000cd 8 years ago when I first got into streaming and also make side A/B recordings in 24bit when I get new vinyl (I can play using fiio player when on the move)

but £200 is a bargain in..... CD player pretty fine too but Arcam sound (less so with streaming)

CDS50 is £700 I think so NAS Ethernet hub and CDS27 will still be cheaper - not often a days wage will bring so much joy

Waited too long- It was in the window this morning, before the shop opened, now gone from the website! Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrgggghhhhhh...........................

Do you have a currently working CD player with a digital output? If so I'd be considering an external DAC like the Topping models that look like they should perform extremely well going by the measurements on Audio Science Review. The top D50 model is still under £200.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-topping-d50-dac.2403/

(I haven't heard one though.)

11 hours ago, bencat said:

That's a 25 year old player and I very much doubt mechanisms are still available. Not a bad mid range player in its day, nothing special about it at all. The Arcam CDS27 will be an improvement on it. £200 for a CDS27 from a dealer? Don't even think about it, just buy it! For that price, you could probably sell on at a profit if you don't like it. Plus, this model was only deleted from the range around a year ago; it remains servicable. Plus you can play with streaming at no extra cost.

Super Wammer
53 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Do you have a currently working CD player with a digital output? If so I'd be considering an external DAC like the Topping models that look like they should perform extremely well going by the measurements on Audio Science Review. The top D50 model is still under £200.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-topping-d50-dac.2403/

(I haven't heard one though.)

That would be a good dac to try  , at 179 on Amazon.  Recently got one of their little t class amps and it's not bad at all 

• Like 1

Listening to a D10 now with a cheap OPAMP upgrade. It had some socket upgrades already. Topping CH//HK.

I don't think it is any worse that my other DACs. It may be my best DAC, even with the £400 remote one coming up (see previous posts). Looked at the higher models no need I feel

Super Wammer

Interesting,  been playing with an old chord 64 recently and comparing it with my old bel canto 3.5vbs. The chord softens the top end in one system and the 3.5 is much more transparent and of course is vol controlled. However the bods at bc have decided to stop making the psu,s which is a real pain. My old only sacd c5vl is quite good as a transport and looking for a modest dac to go with it   

2 minutes ago, hifinutt said:

Interesting,  been playing with an old chord 64 recently and comparing it with my old bel canto 3.5vbs. The chord softens the top end in one system and the 3.5 is much more transparent and of course is vol controlled. However the bods at bc have decided to stop making the psu,s which is a real pain. My old only sacd c5vl is quite good as a transport and looking for a modest dac to go with it   

You might as well get a D10, opamp upgrade it and get a decent PSU for 5v > ? v if you wish. It's worth more than 4x it's price I'd say. It beat a good Teac DAC.

Edited by Millennium