Sign in to follow this  
MGTOW

MGTOW

Hi,

Just signed up, feeling my way around and trying to set things up.

I have ideas and views that do not, in general, coincide with mainstream hifi 'perceived wisdom'. My musical tastes (and habits) are somewhat weird too.

Thought The Wam might be an interesting place, been lurking for a while.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MGTOW said:

I have ideas and views that do not, in general, coincide with mainstream hifi 'perceived wisdom'. My musical tastes (and habits) are somewhat weird too..

Don't worry that sounds like half the forum members, you'll fit right in!

There are no absolute answers to this hobby, just what works for you.

Edited by J Macquarrie

That's ok a friendly mod will probably move it for you at some point.

So what sort of unorthodox music tastes do you have?

33 minutes ago, MGTOW said:

I have ideas and views that do not, in general, coincide with mainstream hifi 'perceived wisdom'.

I'm intrigued - Such as...?

I have a system that, apparently, also does not coincide with mainstream Wam perceived wisdom! :D;)

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, J Macquarrie said:

That's ok a friendly mod will probably move it for you at some point.

So what sort of unorthodox music tastes do you have?

It isn't that I have unorthodox taste in music as such, more that I am pretty unorthodox in the way that I select and listen to my music.

My problem is that I really do not have 'favourites' that I listen to a lot, sure I have a few 'pop' playlists to sing along to whilst in the gym or pottering around the house but generally speaking I hate the repetition. Hearing the same piece played in exactly the same way, time after time, simply drives me nuts.

So in that respect I am a butterfly, I respond to things that I hear or read about, one track might set me off investigating an artist or a whole musical genre. For example, after listening to 'Texas red dirt' for a few weeks a band in my local pub played a song called 'She's about a mover' which I liked, so I started playing stuff by the Sir Douglas Quintet, then more things from Doug Sahm including The Texas Tornados, which in turn took me back to cajun and zydeco music that I knew about from the novels of James Lee Burke.

So what is it that's unusual about your views on hifi? Sounds like an interesting point of view.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, JD68 said:

So what is it that's unusual about your views on hifi? Sounds like an interesting point of view.

Probably not that much by the standards of this forum.

Primarily I simply can not stand what passes for 'mainstream' hi-fi. Even fairly expensive setups from 'respected' manufacturers leave me pretty cold, I prefer somewhat off the wall solutions. I would love to be able to build my own setups, as many on here do, you learn an awful lot that way.

I would start off quite simple, 6 or 8 inch full range drivers in compact horns, valve amplification and work from there....

or maybe some nice 2 way actives using vintage JBL or similar drivers, or maybe some more up to date 'equivalents'.

If I could get a reasonably well isolated and treated room, then some serious studio type speakers for some high level playback would be fun, not going to happen sadly 

• Upvote 1

Primarily I simply can not stand what passes for 'mainstream' hi-fi. Even fairly expensive setups from 'respected' manufacturers leave me pretty cold, I prefer somewhat off the wall solutions. I would love to be able to build my own setups, as many on here do, you learn an awful lot that way.
I would start off quite simple, 6 or 8 inch full range drivers in compact horns, valve amplification and work from there....
or maybe some nice 2 way actives using vintage JBL or similar drivers, or maybe some more up to date 'equivalents'.
If I could get a reasonably well isolated and treated room, then some serious studio type speakers for some high level playback would be fun, not going to happen sadly 
You're right, there are plenty of Wammers with non-mainstream solutions (WGTOWs?) . When I first joined I started to realise there is a whole world outside of What HiFi.

2 hours ago, MGTOW said:

Welcome! take some time here it's wierd just now. Should be ok in a few hour

Super Wammer

Hi, and welcome Dave, you  should fit in just fine. Try to make the time to come to our Kegworth show, lots of DIY, and different implementations on getting a good sound.

• Like 1

Super Wammer

double post :doh:

Edited by greybeard

Super Wammer
On 04/02/2019 at 17:46, MGTOW said:

It isn't that I have unorthodox taste in music as such, more that I am pretty unorthodox in the way that I select and listen to my music.

My problem is that I really do not have 'favourites' that I listen to a lot, sure I have a few 'pop' playlists to sing along to whilst in the gym or pottering around the house but generally speaking I hate the repetition. Hearing the same piece played in exactly the same way, time after time, simply drives me nuts.

So in that respect I am a butterfly, I respond to things that I hear or read about, one track might set me off investigating an artist or a whole musical genre. For example, after listening to 'Texas red dirt' for a few weeks a band in my local pub played a song called 'She's about a mover' which I liked, so I started playing stuff by the Sir Douglas Quintet, then more things from Doug Sahm including The Texas Tornados, which in turn took me back to cajun and zydeco music that I knew about from the novels of James Lee Burke.

This is how I listen to music, Rob always told me I was wierd, maybe he was right. ;)

Super Wammer
On 04/02/2019 at 21:18, greybeard said:

double post :doh:

Well that's age for you. After our conversation in John's kitchen I have had craving for real  Cornish pasties, it's bloody torture. So I sinned and bought the pasties by a certain large brand

• Sad 1