Bertiebee

Where can I get an earth tag for my tonearm cable?

I bought a turntable today, heard it playing and it sounded lovely.

Got it home, started cleaning it and looked at the tonearm cable. The cable doesn’t have the usual earth tag on the end (it has some Heath Robinson connector that looks like a cartridge tag).

Does anyone know where I can get a single earth tag (to attach to the ground on my amplifier) that I’ll need to solder or crimp on to the bare wire?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Super Wammer

It’s quite ok just to put the bare wire under the earth tag.  Will that not work with your setup?

9 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

It’s quite ok just to put the bare wire under the earth tag.  Will that not work with your setup?

This. Simple and effective. Now that Maplins have gone, there's nowhere really for small packs of odd things like that. You could look for the cheapest possible speaker spade connectors, but you'll end up with a pack of four.

Thanks for the replies.

Bare wire is the way to go in the short term (obviously what it has at the moment must work but it just isn’t tight).

I think I’ve got some speaker spade connectors (didn’t think of that) lying around so I could always try one of those.

It may be that a re-wire is in order as the cable is original from when Townshend made the first Excalibur tonearms.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The bare wire will work just fine .  It may of course get a little frayed and tatty  with time.

Why not just form a fresh bared end into a suitably shaped hook for the your terminal and tin it up with  solder . ? 

[We shouldn't really tin connections which are then going to be secured mechanically ...but for this purpose  its just not an issue .]

15 hours ago, rabski said:

This. Simple and effective. Now that Maplins have gone, there's nowhere really for small packs of odd things like that. You could look for the cheapest possible speaker spade connectors, but you'll end up with a pack of four.

all is not lost ... the reason why Maplins and so many others have bitten the dust   

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l2632.R2.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xspade+connectors.TRS0&_nkw=spade+connectors&_sacat=92074