will777888

FS: Octave V70SE tube amplifier (integrated) + black box, immaculate condition

Has this got phono card installed?

1 hour ago, Richdirector said:

Has this got phono card installed?

I'm sorry, I don't know. It does have phono on the source selector and a named pair of sockets on the back. I don't have a record deck to try it, and have never tried using that input. Is the phono card an option when new ?

I'll dig the manual out in a bit and see if that sheds any light.

OK, so I have the V70SE manual in English and the V70 manual in German. The V70SE manual talks of optional phono cards. The V70 manual (I can't translate expertly) says the phono inputs are for use with an external phono pre-amplifier and makes no mention of an optional phono card so far as I can see. Also, the original invoice and SE upgrade invoice do not show an optional phono card as included. 

All that leads me to think no, you can't plug a turntable directly in to this amp, you would need a phono preamp inbetween.

LOvely amp avabump

• Like 1

Surprised it's still here seems a good deal considering the RRP you quote.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

Interested in the Octave , but a bit confused over the se upgrade .The 70se looks nothing like yours , from the front or back ?

Only 2 driver tubes instead of 3 , no balanced inputs ?

Could you explain what the upgrade actually was please

Thanks Gaz 

Hi Gaz,

I keep getting asked this question ! I don't know the technical details of the work carried out at the factory SE upgrade, only that they issued a new warranty of three years. Clearly you are correct, the V70 with SE upgrade is not identical to the V70SE. As I have been asked so many times, I have emailed Octave to find out (see below). I'll post the answer when I get one.

----- Forwarded message -----
To: hofmann@octave.de <hofmann@octave.de>
Sent: Monday, 24 June 2019, 12:12:44 UTC
Subject: V70 with SE upgrade

Dear Octave,

I have an Octave amplifier which I am trying to sell (it is on your forum and other sites). It is a V70 amplifier (serial number 1033492). The amp received an upgrade at the factory to SE specification in 2011. One question which keeps being asked by interested buyers is exactly what was done, technically, in the SE upgrade. The amp is clearly not identical to a V70SE even though it received the SE upgrade (e.g. two small tubes versus three on the SE). Could you please detail the work which was performed at the upgrade and any differences which remain between the SE upgraded V70 and the V70SE models ?

Thanks and best regards,

Will Newman.

Super Wammer

If it’s of interest, I have the Octave V40 se entry-level model, which looks closer to the original V70 with two rather than three pre-amp valves as with this V70 se. I’ve found it superb - drives my Harbeth 30.1 speakers with great ease, never needed volume more than at 9 o’clock (i.e. barely quarter way round) to produce a very room-filling sound (and it’s a big room).  The Black Box is a real bonus, enhances soundstage, texture, bass etc.  There’s some very good reviews of the V40 se and the V70 / se if you google them.  I went from a high-quality pre and monos to this, and no regrets - if anything to my ears an improvement in SQ overall.  I would imagine that this V70 would be at least as good as the current V40 se, plus it’s had the factory se upgrade which will be a very high quality one knowing Octave a bit.  At this price it’s a a bargain in my view - especially with the Black Box. Oh - and build quality is second to none.

• Like 1