flaxton

Leaving amp on

Should have said normally isn't an issue. :O) SMTs are shit. You can't even see the bloody things, let alone replace them. Throwaway junk. Electrolytic capacitors fail more frequently when used in a continuously hot environment, so whenever possible switch the mains off.

When I forgot to turn my amp off overnight, I did’nt worry about it but my electric bill. It sounds good from just on but even better after about an hour or so.

If I, given the fragility of precise audio memory, could discern a difference between switch on and a half an hour later it would have to be a very pronounced difference. In which case the equipment wouldn't be fit for purpose.

In any case I am not in the habit of listening to the same music I played at switch on half an hour later to monitor any possible change.

13 minutes ago, Camverton said:

If I, given the fragility of precise audio memory, could discern a difference between switch on and a half an hour later it would have to be a very pronounced difference. In which case the equipment wouldn't be fit for purpose.

In any case I am not in the habit of listening to the same music I played at switch on half an hour later to monitor any possible change.

With Mission 760i SE I used to have to warm them up for quite some time (with bass tones) to get the best sound. They sounded amazing anyway for their size, marvels.

With my current Triangle Comete EX they don't seem to need warming up the sound seems to react to the temperature of the air more. They do still warm up in about 25-41 minutes though. I don't really notice.

Edited by Millennium

Ah, I was really referring to electronic pieces of equipment such as amps. I agree that there is an argument for loudspeakers changing their sound as the physical drivers flex more freely with use although I would argue that it should be minimal. One thought, if the loudspeaker changes the degree to which the suspension flexes as it is used, how can anyone differentiate if it is their amp or speakers that is "warming up" by listening.

Edited by Camverton

Super Wammer
10 hours ago, flaxton said:

Why did the amp cool down after a certain time. When it’s in use it gets hot. But this morning when I felt it is was just warm, not hot. Is it because it was not playing music.

There will be no electricity consumed to create heat when off.  When on but unused, it should idle at its lowest consumption.  When working hard, it may get warmer still.  (Not unlike a car, in fact.)

There are brands such as Naim where you have a on/off switch. You then just a remote control to fire it up, like on a TV. I would suggest, like the others, it won't cause any long term harm. However, if it was the height of summer I might switch the whole down for the evening.

Edited by plasticpenguin

7 hours ago, Camverton said:

Ah, I was really referring to electronic pieces of equipment such as amps. I agree that there is an argument for loudspeakers changing their sound as the physical drivers flex more freely with use although I would argue that it should be minimal. One thought, if the loudspeaker changes the degree to which the suspension flexes as it is used, how can anyone differentiate if it is their amp or speakers that is "warming up" by listening.

It's a driver quality equation, Radio 4 is apparently trying to solve it into world peace or something. Anyhow, driver quality is a good measure of this. A week or 2 ago my drivers were sounding wierd, today they sounded a little tinny for about half an hour our and now they are normal.

The flex question apart, I think it's the coils that warm up, rather than the cone materialz

14 hours ago, flaxton said:

Good morning. I left my Sugden a21 se amplifier on all night. When I spotted it it was warm but not hot. I have turned it off now. Will it have done anything to the amplifier leaving it on that long. Thanks.

When I saw one at the local Hifi Show (which is London W6, so it's a BIG ONE) I thought it was too warm too. I don't think warmth in AMPS is a good thing.

I'm happy with my Primare A30.1 MK I . I am considering a valve amp for the other room. It's further 

Edited by Millennium
OPi

19 hours ago, flaxton said:

Why did the amp cool down after a certain time. When it’s in use it gets hot. But this morning when I felt it is was just warm, not hot. Is it because it was not playing music.

All is ok - the Sugden's Class A bias will make it run hot when playing music & keep it very warm when on but idling.:)
The Class A MF amps I used to own would often get too hot to touch in warm weather.