flaxton

Leaving amp on

Good morning. I left my Sugden a21 se amplifier on all night. When I spotted it it was warm but not hot. I have turned it off now. Will it have done anything to the amplifier leaving it on that long. Thanks.

It means apologies... :zip:

Oh, I see what you mean... I was going to take the pith...

I'm sure it's fine leaving an amplifier on for an extended period of time. If it wasn't I'd be worried about build quality but yours is well regarded and I leave my Class A amp on for listening sessions stretching well in to 15 hours sometimes with no ill effects.

Here's the blurb from Sugden's website.

A21 Signature Line and Integrated Amplifier

The Sugden pure class A design provides affordable high-end performance from a beautifully engineered single box integrated amplifier.  Compact in size with a simple but stylish design, the A21 is possibly the only amplifier you will ever need. With many of the original A21’s still in daily use after fifty years, it could also last a life time. Providing a large soundstage and depth to all types of music, the A21 is an amplifier you can listen to for hours without fatigue.  The single ended circuit provides impressive dynamics and incredible bass.

You'll be fine unless it sounds nasty!

Super Wammer

Firstly I doubt very much if there has been any damage or issues with your Sugden . They are well engineered and good products that are designed to work in class A so heat is always an issue when idling less so when playing hard. I would have no worries on that side at all . I would say though that leaving a class A amplifier on all the time is not a great idea as they produce more heat when idling then when working and over time this will reduce the working life of the amplifier. I am talking about extended periods of weeks (months) not the occasional overnight such as you refer to .

Some users of amplifiers believe the equipment should be left on all the time so that it does not need any warm up time to as they come on song and is ready to play straight when you want to . This view has some support but hs to tempered with a little consideration of the equipment being used as noted the issues for Class A units and the other issue of the amount of electricity they will use .

Super Wammer

Its no different than an an extended listening session, so I'd say nothing to worry about :)

Overnight is a really short period of time so you have no worries at all .

My amps are on 24/7 /365 and used every day for quite a few hours, the only time they are switched off is during thunder storms or when I go away for more that a day .

It might a couple of hundred or so extra to my lekie bill each year but it it well worth the extra money for the enhanced and immediate sound quality.

Good quality amps have adequate heat sinking for all eventualities.

30 minutes ago, bencat said:

Some users of amplifiers believe the equipment should be left on all the time so that it does not need any warm up time to as they come on song and is ready to play straight when you want to .

The other reason for doing this is that you aren't constantly temperature cycling the components, which can contribute towards component failure. However, I prefer to switch stuff off.

1 hour ago, Electro said:

Overnight is a really short period of time so you have no worries at all .

My amps are on 24/7 /365 and used every day for quite a few hours, the only time they are switched off is during thunder storms or when I go away for more that a day .

It might a couple of hundred or so extra to my lekie bill each year but it it well worth the extra money for the enhanced and immediate sound quality.

Good quality amps have adequate heat sinking for all eventualities.

If you want them to last it's far better to turn them off when not in use, even without taking the electricity saving into account. The enhanced sound quality argument is pish, any quality SS amp will achieve full sound quality from the moment it's turned on. I don't know where these silly myths originate.

1 hour ago, Tony_J said:

The other reason for doing this is that you aren't constantly temperature cycling the components, which can contribute towards component failure. However, I prefer to switch stuff off.

Temperature cycling the components isn't an issue.

Most amps only need half an hour or so to arrive at optimum temp to give of their best.

It is IMHO important that they are not left unattended when on. My power amp had a failure whilst warming up and fried a transformer, only my house RCD saved the day

38 minutes ago, Muckplaster said:

Temperature cycling the components isn't an issue.

https://www.smta.org/knowledge/proceedings_abstract.cfm?PROC_ID=4041