Azim

Meridian DSP 5000 Slave - no sound

Setup is a pair of Meridian DSP 5000 24/96 speakers with a Meridian 508 24bit CD player.

The issue is that I have no sound out of the Slave speaker.  The master speaker is fine.  Both speakers are responding to the comms fine .. when I adjust the volume, it clearly is in synch on both M & S speakers.   So I assumed, the comms part of the S-cable is obviously fine but perhaps the actual input into the slave is not?  I swapped the cable around but it did not change anything.  The firmware is the latest as indicated by Meridian's download site.  Any suggestions before I have to find a Meridian legacy repair company? 

Thanks

19 hours ago, Azim said:

Setup is a pair of Meridian DSP 5000 24/96 speakers with a Meridian 508 24bit CD player.

The issue is that I have no sound out of the Slave speaker.  The master speaker is fine.  Both speakers are responding to the comms fine .. when I adjust the volume, it clearly is in synch on both M & S speakers.   So I assumed, the comms part of the S-cable is obviously fine but perhaps the actual input into the slave is not?  I swapped the cable around but it did not change anything.  The firmware is the latest as indicated by Meridian's download site.  Any suggestions before I have to find a Meridian legacy repair company? 

Thanks

Haven't a clue - other than to check the balance setting (you may have inadvertantly set it so one speaker is not working) and second to do a factory reset (if you mislaid the instructions they are here https://www.meridian-audio.com/media/6991/dsp5000-digital-active-loudspeaker-user-guide.pdf)

Other than that try some different cables as they may have developed a fault.

Good luck

Thanks Uzzy.

I got the answer from Edd at Avanit Systems Ltd (The Tech Guy). 

He suggested I use the digital input directly from the CD source into the slave to determine if the Slave speaker was working or not.  It did work.  So the fault was with the S-cable and specifically the sound input as opposed to the comms which worked fine.

As Meridian no longer support what they call "Historical Products", I would happily recommend  Avanit Systems Ltd (The Tech Guy).  I intend to take them my DSP 6000 / 861 setup for a calibration checkup.

Their details are ... Avanit Systems Limited - Mr Tech Guy - Gault Hill Farm, Cooks Lane, Sawtry Cambridgshire PE28 5XQ - 01223 631340

Thanks again and I hope my post helps others out there who own "Historical Products" from Meridian.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 03/02/2019 at 22:21, Azim said:

Thanks Uzzy.

I got the answer from Edd at Avanit Systems Ltd (The Tech Guy). 

He suggested I use the digital input directly from the CD source into the slave to determine if the Slave speaker was working or not.  It did work.  So the fault was with the S-cable and specifically the sound input as opposed to the comms which worked fine.

As Meridian no longer support what they call "Historical Products", I would happily recommend  Avanit Systems Ltd (The Tech Guy).  I intend to take them my DSP 6000 / 861 setup for a calibration checkup.

Their details are ... Avanit Systems Limited - Mr Tech Guy - Gault Hill Farm, Cooks Lane, Sawtry Cambridgshire PE28 5XQ - 01223 631340

Thanks again and I hope my post helps others out there who own "Historical Products" from Meridian.

I used to be a real Meridian fan .. I met Bob Stewart on a few occasions at Guildford HiFi in the 70s.  My view changed when the laser packed up on my 506 and they just said cannot get replacement mechanisms.  The great companies support older products (Ok if they do not make cd laser mechanisms then it gets a bit tough) but Meridian is definitely not the company it used to be and that is sad.

As for CD players I wish someone would take the bull by the horns and make a cd player with a slot in CD drive (as used in computers or lap tops) so when the laser goes you just slot in a new one (now my offboard dvd/cd writer for my pc cost all of £20 .. I guess if they did that then their may not be much market for new ones).

On 03/02/2019 at 22:21, Azim said:

I intend to take them my DSP 6000 / 861 setup for a calibration checkup.

That's no small undertaking (physically). Not sure there's much calibrating to be done with 6ks? The tweeters can get a little tired, do you have the black domed versions in there? Nice speakers.