Kegworth Show Information

The information for this year's show is now live at www.thehifishow.com or by clicking on the show banner below.

NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS NOW OPEN - Special Offer....Stay Saturday, join in all the build up excitement on Sat night and then gain FREE access to the show on Sunday

ONLY 4 EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT - BIG SYSTEM SPACES SOLD OUT - ONLY 2 NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT

Sign in to follow this  
Bigwig07

Marantz Premium Products Anyone ?

Recommended Posts

I have a lot of affection for this brand, due my much loved vintage units - Marantz cd52ii cd player, and Marantz PM 8200 amp. The  brand has a reputation for a warm sound, which i like.

I wondered what Wammers thought of their premium / high end kit ? Current line up is the PM10 / SA10 and the KI-Ruby series. And their predecessors the PM11/ SA11; PM14s1se/SA14s1se.

I think they all get good reviews. Any highly rated units / future classics here ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are all highly rated, aren’t they?  For once, I don’t think even those who believe all reviews are ‘bought’, or influenced heavily by advertising and freebies, could deny the history, quality, and significance of the brand. 

There’s rarely a poor Marantz product.  I too still use a CD-52 mark 2 SE that I bought in 1993, along with a PM40se amplifier and Mission speakers for an apartment I used to live in (for a work secondment).  That player actually works far better, ergonomically, than my newer model, as I’ve mentioned in previous threads.  Neither has ever been serviced!

I toyed with the amplifier matching my 14-series CD player, but I’d always liked the Primare so snapped one up at a great price before they were superseded.  I’d certainly be very happy with the new 10-series, which are pretty pricy, or the latest limited run Ruby models at £3,500 a piece.   However, for under £2,000 each in most places, I think the 14s are a terrific buy.

Several older KI models seem to retain a high value on eBay, and I’m guessing the Ruby range might still be cool in a decade.  Meanwhile the 10-series is already on sale at nearer £5,000 as ex-dem, etc., deprecating quickly as lots of costly gear does. 

Edited by Nopiano

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

They are all highly rated, aren’t they?  For once, I don’t think even those who believe all reviews are ‘bought’, or influenced heavily by advertising and freebies, could deny the history, quality, and significance of the brand. 

There’s rarely a poor Marantz product.  I too still use a CD-52 mark 2 SE that I bought in 1993, along with a PM40se amplifier and Mission speakers for an apartment I used to live in (for a work secondment).  That player actually works far better, ergonomically, than my newer model, as I’ve mentioned in previous threads.  Neither has ever been serviced!

I toyed with the amplifier matching my 14-series CD player, but I’d always liked the Primare so snapped one up at a great price before they were superseded.  I’d certainly be very happy with the new 10-series, which are pretty pricy, or the latest limited run Ruby models at £3,500 a piece.   However, for under £2,000 each in most places, I think the 14s are a terrific buy.

Several older KI models seem to retain a high value on eBay, and I’m guessing the Ruby range might still be cool in a decade.  Meanwhile the 10-series is already on sale at nearer £5,000 as ex-dem, etc., deprecating quickly as lots of costly gear does. 

Yes well actually I have just bought the Marantz 14s combo on eBay, and I must say that I am very impressed - very enjoyable listen !

BUT my PM 14 S1 is the SE model, whereas the SA14S1 is the standard version. Any idea if it is worth trying to get the SA14S1 in the upgraded SE spec ? Would there be much of an improvement ? 

I’d sell on or trade in the standard version

Edited by Bigwig07
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats on your purchase - cannot fault them and doubt if the se version is worth the hassle of exchange. The new Ki Rubys copy the SA&PM 10s in embracing very different technology.

The SAs up-convert everything to high speed DSD which negates the need for a conventional DAC.(PS audio was first!)

The PMs are class D Nord hypex 500s - a big departure from our A/Bs.The PM10 uses 2 modules per channel and the KIs one. I briefly heard the 10s with some Sopras - huge soundstage and very detailed, but in the immortal words of Kenny Everitt - I suspect too mucking fuch for my room!

Edited by nomore landings

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nomore landings said:

Congrats on your purchase - cannot fault them and doubt if the se version is worth the hassle of exchange. The new Ki Rubys copy the SA&PM 10s in embracing very different technology.

The SAs up-convert everything to high speed DSD which negates the need for a conventional DAC.(PS audio was first!)

The PMs are class D Nord hypex 500s - a big departure from our A/Bs.The PM10 uses 2 modules per channel and the KIs one. I briefly heard the 10s with some Sopras - huge soundstage and very detailed, but in the immortal words of Kenny Everitt - I suspect too mucking fuch for my room!

Yes I think the Roksan Oxygene uses the same class D design, but the PM10's only use it for the power amp stage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i'm a very happy owner of both the Pm14s1se and sa14s1se. i bought the amp first as i was very happy with my moon cd player, i then bought the sacd player, and was blown away by the difference in performance. worth every penny. even the front usb port playing mp3 at 320 sounds fantastic.

as a pairing, they make all the right noises, and look beautiful to boot!

apparently, the sa41s1se version has been improved to play hi res files via the rear usb, so if that is of interest, i'd go for it no question.

it took me a long time to finally try marantz,  i genuinely wish i'd done it a lot sooner. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, bigfish786 said:

i'm a very happy owner of both the Pm14s1se and sa14s1se. i bought the amp first as i was very happy with my moon cd player, i then bought the sacd player, and was blown away by the difference in performance. worth every penny. even the front usb port playing mp3 at 320 sounds fantastic.

as a pairing, they make all the right noises, and look beautiful to boot!

apparently, the sa41s1se version has been improved to play hi res files via the rear usb, so if that is of interest, i'd go for it no question.

it took me a long time to finally try marantz,  i genuinely wish i'd done it a lot sooner. 

Thanks - yes I've seen your other forum entries (and I think in the past on the WHF forum). Glad you're getting on well with it - they are chunky solid bits of kit aren't they ? which is very reassuring.

I've been streaming 24 bit hi res files from Qobuz to the rear usb port with some success, except there is an annoying on/off to the music and a loud clicking sound from the cd electronics (not through the speakers) - I think when the music is 'buffering' and loading which is very annoying. Have you ever had this experience ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bigwig07 said:

Thanks - yes I've seen your other forum entries (and I think in the past on the WHF forum). Glad you're getting on well with it - they are chunky solid bits of kit aren't they ? which is very reassuring.

I've been streaming 24 bit hi res files from Qobuz to the rear usb port with some success, except there is an annoying on/off to the music and a loud clicking sound from the cd electronics (not through the speakers) - I think when the music is 'buffering' and loading which is very annoying. Have you ever had this experience ?

the only noise i have noticed is when cycling through the disc/input menu. it clicks as it gets to the CD selection. 

i have still not tried the rear usb connection, or any hi res files. but i'm more than happy with the disc playback and the front usb. i've loaded 450 albums onto the memory stick so i've got practically the whole of my cd collection on tap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bigfish786 said:

the only noise i have noticed is when cycling through the disc/input menu. it clicks as it gets to the CD selection. 

yes I think its the same sound - like the dac input is clicking on and off. Doesn't happen all the time though - I think Qobuz is quite buggy so it could be that

3 minutes ago, bigfish786 said:

i have still not tried the rear usb connection, or any hi res files. but i'm more than happy with the disc playback and the front usb. i've loaded 450 albums onto the memory stick so i've got practically the whole of my cd collection on tap.

I recommend connecting a laptop to the rear usb, download the drivers, and try the free sampler from HD Tracks or the 1 month free trial at Qobuz. Also streaming via a Chromecast audio streamer (c£30) to the digital optical input is good if you've not tried that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve no idea whether you can upgrade to SE, but there’s not much amiss with any of them.  I see them as borderline high-end designs.  

It‘s interesting that Marantz went for a Class D approach for the 10 and Ruby range, as I made a similar choice a year earlier with my Primare!  The tests of them in HiFi News reveal they are way more powerful than the published spec - for example, the Ruby offers 280 watts into 4 ohms versus the claimed 200.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

I’ve no idea whether you can upgrade to SE, but there’s not much amiss with any of them.  I see them as borderline high-end designs.  

It‘s interesting that Marantz went for a Class D approach for the 10 and Ruby range, as I made a similar choice a year earlier with my Primare!  The tests of them in HiFi News reveal they are way more powerful than the published spec - for example, the Ruby offers 280 watts into 4 ohms versus the claimed 200.  

On the class D Roksan Oxygene I think they had to reign in the electronics for some reason and it produces a stated 150w into 8 ohms, but at 4 ohms its 75w 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bigwig07 said:

On the class D Roksan Oxygene I think they had to reign in the electronics for some reason and it produces a stated 150w into 8 ohms, but at 4 ohms its 75w 

That might be why it didn’t last long.  Not good with today’s typical 4 to 6 ohm speakers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎03‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 21:05, Nopiano said:

That might be why it didn’t last long.  Not good with today’s typical 4 to 6 ohm speakers!

Actually I got that the wrong way round of course - its 75w into 8 ohms, and 150w into 4 ohms. But 150w into 4 ohms is pretty good and I've just dug out the old Hi Fi News review from August 2013 which indicates an actual output on test of 110w into 8 ohms.

Interestingly, the Roksan Oxygene amp was tested at £2800, and got a sound quality rating of 85% - exactly the same as the PM KI Ruby. Which makes the used Oxygenes on sale on ebay for £600ish a rock solid bargain ! 

Oxygene is pure class D, KI Ruby is half class D

Edited by Bigwig07
stupid mistake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bigwig07 said:

Actually I got that the wrong way round of course - its 75w into 8 ohms, and 150w into 4 ohms. But 150w into 4 ohms is pretty good and I've just dug out the old Hi Fi News review from August 2013 which indicates an actual output on test of 110w into 8 ohms.

Interestingly, the Roksan Oxygene amp was tested at £2800, and got a sound quality rating of 85% - exactly the same as the PM KI Ruby. Which makes the used Oxygenes on sale on ebay for £600ish a rock solid bargain ! 

Oxygene is pure class D, KI Ruby is half class D

Ah, that makes more sense!  They were being sold off by Richer Sounds at about £900 a piece I recall.  Never quite understood what the reason for discontinuing them was.  Maybe some components were no longer available? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nopiano said:

Ah, that makes more sense!  They were being sold off by Richer Sounds at about £900 a piece I recall.  Never quite understood what the reason for discontinuing them was.  Maybe some components were no longer available? 

I think it was from when Roksan was being taken over

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.