newlash09

Suspended, direct drive, belt driven TT, what's the difference

23 minutes ago, uzzy said:

regardless of type of turntable IMO a shelf mount system (with the shelf directly attached to the wall) is the ideal.  Even if you have solid floors a tall unit will have movement if nudged .. whereas a wall shelf takes one hell of a bang to get any movement at all.  

I would generally agree but depends what the walls are made of, it just plasterboard a concrete floor stand maybe better. You can easily make a cheap isolation board for it, just 2 sheets of plyboard, bicycle innertube and few other items as recommended by Barry Diament: http://www.barrydiamentaudio.com/vibration.htm

• Like 1

On 02/02/2019 at 14:34, newlash09 said:

Thanks radiant...

It will be placed on hard floor directly. And will be using a Devialet with it, as it has a inbuilt phono preamp too. I guess the Devialet accommodates both MM & MC as well. But I will be going for a MM mostly as it is likely to be cheaper. And since vinyl will never be my primary source, don't want to spend too much on it :)

Vinyl is always the area you can quite easily blow your budget.

think order of priorities 

Deck... greatest cost, then arm then cartridge 

not sure what your budget is? Were you thinking new or used? Btw, vinyl is addictive 😜

2 hours ago, BeeRay said:

I would generally agree but depends what the walls are made of, it just plasterboard a concrete floor stand maybe better. You can easily make a cheap isolation board for it, just 2 sheets of plyboard, bicycle innertube and few other items as recommended by Barry Diament: http://www.barrydiamentaudio.com/vibration.htm

I agree to an extent, other than it is easier to do a prettier job with a wall shelf and if the wall is an internal one with plasterboard then ideally you need to locate the batons and then spread the shelf fittings across two batons for a secure fixing ..  then some sorbothane feet is all you need for a knockproof wobble proof and isolated turntable.   The problem with furniture and stands on the floor is if you knock them they move (I have a heavy stack on spikes and I speak from my experience) by knock that can be as little as a small nudge flicking a switch or moving the volume control.   I have been thinking of mounting a block behind my stack so that can butt the rack up to it or even better clamp it.

3 minutes ago, uzzy said:

I agree to an extent, other than it is easier to do a prettier job with a wall shelf and if the wall is an internal one with plasterboard then ideally you need to locate the batons and then spread the shelf fittings across two batons for a secure fixing ..  then some sorbothane feet is all you need for a knockproof wobble proof and isolated turntable.   The problem with furniture and stands on the floor is if you knock them they move (I have a heavy stack on spikes and I speak from my experience) by knock that can be as little as a small nudge flicking a switch or moving the volume control.   I have been thinking of mounting a block behind my stack so that can butt the rack up to it or even better clamp it.

But how do you find the batons? The wall will still be vibrating, I would only mount a wall shelf on a solid wall. 

9 minutes ago, radiant red said:

Vinyl is always the area you can quite easily blow your budget.

think order of priorities 

Deck... greatest cost, then arm then cartridge 

not sure what your budget is? Were you thinking new or used? Btw, vinyl is addictive 😜

This is the way to go if you are intending spending a lot on the arm and cartridge.   If you are going to keep all to a budget then turntables like Thorens, Systemdek, Goldring GL75 and others can turn in a superlative performance with the right arm and cartridge for the former and cartridge for the Goldrings.  For example a Rega with an ortofon black or similar MM or a decent Moving Coil will IMO easily outperform a deck costing ten times as much with say an ortofon Red or Blue or similar.

The thing is with turntables I am convinced there is the placebo affect where because something is pure eye candy you think it sounds better (because you want it to sound better).  However, nice as a Girodeck looks IMO in outright performance it does not exceed that of a second hand LP12 or Systemdek Heavyweight purchased for less than half that you will pay for the Girdodeck ... then of course their are Rock turntables that can be had for a very good price second hand etc etc

1 minute ago, BeeRay said:

But how do you find the batons? The wall will still be vibrating, I would only mount a wall shelf on a solid wall. 

There are gizmos you can buy to find batons as well as wiring and pipes.  Yes the wall can vibrate but the batons are rigid and vibrate far less (and that is where the fixings need to go for the shelf).  As I said IMO having experienced most - I would prefer a wall mount but each to their own I guess :) (I should add my brick walls vibrate when my missus is listening to Led Zep at 100 db plus) 

Super Wammer
On 02/02/2019 at 14:34, newlash09 said:

It will be placed on hard floor directly. And will be using a Devialet with it, as it has a inbuilt phono preamp too. I guess the Devialet accommodates both MM & MC as well. But I will be going for a MM mostly as it is likely to be cheaper. And since vinyl will never be my primary source, don't want to spend too much on it :)

A Gyrodec is a very appealing device.  As you know, I’m delighted with mine which is its non-sprung, cheaper little brother.  Very loosely speaking, I’d say a Gyrodec is smoother and less exciting than a good direct drive, but with a more spacious sound.  That makes it your ‘cup of tea’, I suspect!

I would caution against putting it on the floor. You’d need to be very flexible indeed to cue up a record, and it would surely be much more susceptible to unwanted dust. 

3 minutes ago, uzzy said:

There are gizmos you can buy to find batons as well as wiring and pipes.  Yes the wall can vibrate but the batons are rigid and vibrate far less (and that is where the fixings need to go for the shelf).  As I said IMO having experienced most - I would prefer a wall mount but each to their own I guess :) (I should add my brick walls vibrate when my missus is listening to Led Zep at 100 db plus) 

It's ok if the battens line up with the wall shelf mounting holes. Even so they will vibrate far more than brick or concrete, my internal walls are very flimsy I would not want to mount anything of any weight on them.  

3 minutes ago, BeeRay said:

It's ok if the battens line up with the wall shelf mounting holes. Even so they will vibrate far more than brick or concrete, my internal walls are very flimsy I would not want to mount anything of any weight on them.  

aye well it is horses for courses .. I would prefer a wall mount but the missus thinks it is too ugly (i have a brick wall) but as you say if the wall is very flimsy then you are stuck with a stand mount :( 

1 hour ago, BeeRay said:

Modern timber frame houses don't make life easy for a turntable owner -  bouncy chipboard floors & flimsy plasterboard walls¬¬
The  HiFiRacks Podium wall shelf I use has two vertical lines of mounting holes  - one line of four holes takes woodscrews into the stud of a plasterboard wall -
once you find it, which isn't too hard. The other 4 vertical holes can be fixed with heavy duty plasterboard fixings.
It's a solid enough arrangement & gives no trouble with footfall, unlike a floor mounted stand in this type of building.

• Upvote 1

"...And since vinyl will never be my primary source, don't want to spend too much on it."

An important point, though your opinion may change over time! In your position, I'd just buy the Gyro and not worry. It's more than a decent turntable and if looks matter, it ticks all the boxes. It's sensibly upgradable for the future as well.

Position and mounting is a separate issue. I'd always advise a wall shelf as the ideal. If your floor is really solid (concrete) then using a small table won't do any harm. I'd be vary wary about putting a turntable on the floor, but mainly because of the possibility of accidental damage.

I've had my Gyro for nearly 8 years now and IMHO, it's FABULOUS!

For me vinyl is partly about being able to 'see' the music being made and the Gyro SE does it with bells on. That's why I'd never upgrade to the Orbe platter.

IMHO, the only other tables that look as good are monsters like the Basis or Oracle Delphi, but they are mega bucks.

It'll also take cartridge upgrades well, so lots of options for experimentation! :D

PS. I've got concrete floors and mine's on an Alphason table that sits on flat feet on the carpet/underlay.

Edited by v1nn1e
  • Like 1

If you really like the look of the Gyro and really want one, just go for it.

It is a very competent TT and the pride of ownership for you will far outweigh any miniscule performance gains you might get from other decks.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Idlewithnodrive said:

If you really like the look of the Gyro and really want one, just go for it.

It is a very competent TT and the pride of ownership for you will far outweigh any miniscule performance gains you might get from other decks.

If you do the way of The Gyro, do try to get it on a wall shelf as this helps the sound of it a truck load.:geek:

Oh and the Gyro is endlessly upgradeable, this vinyl thing can be addictive done right.:geek:

Edited by Tarzan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

. And since vinyl will never be my primary source, don't want to spend too much on it

Don't count on it! 11 years ago I bought a cheapie as I was curious about vinyl. I liked it. A lot. I spent an awful amount of time and money in firstly upgrading the cheapie, then replacing it and then in upgrading its replacement. 99% of my listening is now on vinyl!

Enjoy the journey!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1