Sign in to follow this  
Ian

Leben CS300SX vs Croft with Harbeth P3ESR

Hi All, I haven't really started many topics in a while as I've had nothing to say, my system being constant for the last 5 years or so, Croft 25R/7 being the amplification.

I've hankered after a Leben in my system for a long time, Gregs' (Nagraboy) fault ;-) , he's brought his over a couple of times. It does sound rather sublime, though I've only listened for fairly brief periods. So....... I'm picking one up this afternoon and can only keep either it of the Crofts. I am pretty lucky in that I won't need to move anything on for a month or so, so time is my friend here. 

My main concern before hearing one was that 15w per side simply would not be enough for the Harbs. In a 12 x 12 foot room, it's plenty, trust me. And I have a witness !

This won't be about which is best, simply which I prefer. I have to say I feel very loyal to the Crofts, I've been extremely happy with them over the last 5 years.

Why am I doing it ? Well, it would seem I I finally weakened and got wantitis, I hang my head in shame for such indulgence, I thought I was cured !

really looking forward to your thoughts , from what i read the leben certainly seems to satisfy . we shall see in your room what you prefer . they are marvellous speakers and i could live with them in a main system becuase they are so big .    finding that right amp is a very personal thing . you will lose the remote function though with the leben i guess and some can`t cope with that 

Super Wammer

No need for shame, I think many off us get the grass is greener syndrome from time to time. 

I'm the same with my MasterSound/MB845SE combo, I still rember the glorious sound produced by a MasterSound 845 Reference integrated at the 2017 Scalford show. Whenever one comes up (one in the classifieds at the mo) I think about changing.

However I can't as would need to sell my amps before getting, as a quick 1 or 2 hour listen wouldn't be enough to confirm the decision to buy. 

Ohh to have lots of pennies for hifi, NO, scratch that, I'd soon be skint, to many things out there to buy and try. 

• Like 1

ah i mistakenly thought the R in 25 stood for remote 

51 minutes ago, Ian said:

My main concern before hearing one was that 15w per side simply would not be enough for the Harbs. In a 12 x 12 foot room, it's plenty, trust me. 

Don't know about the Croft but the Leben will be producing high levels of distortion in those conditions. But it may be euphonic and pleasing to some people.

Leben CS300XS wasnt enough for my 30.1 (i know it's harder to drive )

They and the Tannoy Ardens which replaced the 30.1 are great with the Croft 25r and a ATC P1 power amp - my room a lot bigger though 7m x 5m and 3.5m tall - and the Leben sounded 'fine' but couldnt really compare.

My guess is that the Croft 25r/7 will win the day

Leben however superb with Falcon LS3/5A 15ohm

Power is no issue, the volume is at 10 o'clock and there's plenty of noise, a 4 x 4m room really doesn't require a lot of filling. The Leben is as beautiful as I recall, perhaps a tad more luxurious sounding and a bit airier than the Croft,  where the Croft goes for tonal accuracy. Right here and now I feel a bit daft, I've basically got two sources of amplification that differ a little in presentation but both sound utterly wonderful.

The Leben definitely smells better, I'm not joking !

• Like 1

After listening yesterday pm/last night the Leben is tipping the balance. I've decided to choose which within three weeks so I can offer what's being sold for Kegworth collection.

Might treat it to some Mullard EL84s.