fried

Thorens td125 Sme 3009 wiring stuff

I've settled in happily to listening to my turntable after a bit of DIY. I made the decision to have the arm wired straight through to rca connectors directly, this meant I had to drill a large hole in the back of the plinth to accomodate the thicker wires. 

Everything works fine, the suspension bounces beautifully after about 3000 attempts to set it up and replacement gaskets fitted. 

But...I have this dislike of the wires just coming out of the turntable without being clipped to something, I mean if the wires get pulled there's nothing to stop the fragile soldering from getting damaged. On the other hand I don't want to add damping to my suspension and deaden the table. Any thoughts? Or is that clear as mud?

At some point I'll change to a nicer plinth, so just thinking ahead. 

Thanks 

Super Wammer

What plinth is it?  

The typical arrangement, as you probably know, is to pass the arm cable through a P clip, with a suitable bend in the cable so as not to impede the bounce or chassis movement. 

• Upvote 1

Have been running a TD125 with a rewired SME 2009 improved arm for a few years now myself really happy with how its sounding.

For strain relief on your cable maybe have a look at a cable compression gland. I'm thinking leave a small amount of slack within the base and then tighten the gland so it grips the cable which would add some decent strain relief.

You can find plastic and metal stainless ones which I think have better aesthetics  they are only a couple of pound.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless-Steel-PG9-4-8mm-Waterproof-Connector-Cable-Gland-3-Pcs/362279721111?hash=item54598dd897:g:FKwAAOSw07lbl6h5:rk:29:pf:0

Edit would need the right size for your cable obviously.

Edited by JamieMcC

Standard plinth. I have no idea what the standard layout is, so feel free to treat me as stupid.

Where is the p-clip connected? I found something ages ago but can't seem to find it again that shows putting an entire loop inside the turntable.

3 minutes ago, JamieMcC said:

Have been running a TD125 with a rewired SME 2009 improved arm for a few years now myself really happy with how its sounding.

For strain relief on your cable maybe have a look at a cable compression gland. I'm thinking leave a small amount of slack within the base and then tighten the gland so it grips the cable which would add some decent strain relief.

You can find plastic and metal stainless ones which I think have better aesthetics  they are only a couple of pound.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless-Steel-PG9-4-8mm-Waterproof-Connector-Cable-Gland-3-Pcs/362279721111?hash=item54598dd897:g:FKwAAOSw07lbl6h5:rk:29:pf:0

Looks like an elegant solution....but how to they fit onto the wires, looks too narrow to get the rca plugs though, unless I'm missing something....

Super Wammer
25 minutes ago, fried said:

Standard plinth. I have no idea what the standard layout is, so feel free to treat me as stupid.

Where is the p-clip connected? I found something ages ago but can't seem to find it again that shows putting an entire loop inside the turntable.

I’m only partly familiar with the Linn plinth, so in principle I’d be looking for something like this underneath your Thorens - see Figure 71 on page 12 (and onwards) of this guide...

https://www.cymbiosis.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Setting-up-your-LP12-Volume-III-PDF.pdf

It may be completely different in which case I’m sorry I cannot help.  

Edited by Nopiano
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fried said:

Looks like an elegant solution....but how to they fit onto the wires, looks too narrow to get the rca plugs though, unless I'm missing something....

Probably find something down the local B&Q or hardware store for a closer look to see if it might work. I have seen some with a rubber grommet inside which I think could be rolled over the plug part have to find one big enough to get the plug body through of course. Looking at them they normally have a size range they can be used with like 8-12mm or 10-14mm.   

Searching for "cable management clips" on ebay or amazon turns up a few different options as well

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=cable+management+clips

Edited by JamieMcC
  • Like 1

Thanks for all your help. This is going to be invaluable when I finally pluck up the courage to take the back off again.

53 minutes ago, fried said:

when I finally pluck up the courage to take the back off again.

lol I know that feeling.....

Have fun the TD125 + SME is a classic combination.

Super Wammer

Pm me your address and I will send you a few zip tie saddles, these have 3M sticky foam pads on the back, and should sort your problem. 

Also easy to cut down with scissors to reduce the base plate from 19x19mm down too 12x12. 

1549016192453-1866649452.jpg

Edited by Lurch
  • Like 1

I really appreciate the offer, but as I'm i France I cannot accept you sending me this, as the postage will cost more than the items. It's given me plenty of ideas and that's help enough. I think I'll leave this thread and come back later with some photos, it's not so obvious (at least for me) as there really isn't a great deal of room to attach clips inside the turntable. I really like the compression gland idea for this reason.....I'll be back.

On 01/02/2019 at 09:15, fried said:

Thanks for all your help. This is going to be invaluable when I finally pluck up the courage to take the back off again.

If you use a P clip it screws on the outside at the back if you want (or on the inside you make the choice) - simples :)