chris_bates1974

Piano sounds odd

11 hours ago, Von Krolock said:

Piano will sound very odd on any record with a slightly off-centre spindle hole  - too many records have em. 

Yup - the worst one I have is ELOs Wild West Hero. on 7" it sounds dreadful but on the album...

Super Wammer

Piano is one of the hardest instruments to replay on Vinyl. 

Apart from the physical media having defects , the turntable can introduce speed variations unless the platter is very heavy and has a motor system capable of driving it well. A friend of mine who is a Beethoven fan (lots of piano) has given up with vinyl due to speed/stability issues. 

Do you have a test record with a constant tone on it, and does the note sound pure. 

You could also try a record clamp to ensure the disc is not slipping on the platter. Although the Rega is good, you may have to look at electronic speed control or direct drive decks or give up piano music.

Alan

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

There’s also a possibility the drive belt is past its best, or the bearing is drying out. Depends how old this Rega is. 

However, I agree that slightly off centre pressing are the most likely cause if the sound is ‘shaky’ or unstable.  

I have a piano record (digital recording as it happens) with a lot of subsonic traffic noise recorded from the venue. Took a while to track down the strangely unsettling audible problem and was quite alarmed to see how much the arm was wobbling. Got rid of that deck, Luxman PD264. A Townsend rock or similar would not have that problem.

18 hours ago, Radioham said:

Piano is one of the hardest instruments to replay on Vinyl. 

Apart from the physical media having defects , the turntable can introduce speed variations unless the platter is very heavy and has a motor system capable of driving it well. A friend of mine who is a Beethoven fan (lots of piano) has given up with vinyl due to speed/stability issues. 

Do you have a test record with a constant tone on it, and does the note sound pure. 

You could also try a record clamp to ensure the disc is not slipping on the platter. Although the Rega is good, you may have to look at electronic speed control or direct drive decks or give up piano music.

Alan

This, absolutely.

If you have a local hifi friend that has a top notch vinyl rig, ask very nicely if you could hear it in your system.