Kegworth Show Information

The information for this year's show is now live at www.thehifishow.com or by clicking on the show banner below.

NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS NOW OPEN - Special Offer....Stay Saturday, join in all the build up excitement on Sat night and then gain FREE access to the show on Sunday

ONLY 4 EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT - BIG SYSTEM SPACES SOLD OUT - ONLY 2 NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT

chris_bates1974

Piano sounds odd

I’m using a Rega Planar 3, Ortofon 2M Red, Rega Fono MM MkII, Primare I22, and KEF Q700.

Whenever I play records that feature live piano, such as Placebo Unplugged, or a couple of tracks off the Loud Like Love LP for instance, the piano sounds odd. At first I thought it might be the TT was running a little slow. It’s not. I thought it might be a dodgy pressing. It’s not. Nothing else ever sounds off like this. Currently spinning Nirvanas Unplugged set and it’s sounding great....

Any ideas please as to what might be causing the issue?

Thanks.....

If your Rega has a felt mat, make sure it’s not slipping on the glass platter as it spins. This can give rise to pitch variations.

11 minutes ago, insider9 said:

Is it because you prefer the sound of guitar to a piano? :)

On a serious note... What's your budget? :D

Ha ha... at this point, no budget....

as for the mat, I use a rubber mat. And there are zero issues with any other instruments, or with voices. Even on the same track.

Piano will sound very odd on any record with a slightly off-centre spindle hole  - too many records have em. 

10 minutes ago, mr.me said:

Buy the CD versions :P

Actually, it would be quite interesting to compare the CD version 💭

Anyway, I wouldn’t use a rubber mat on a Rega, static disaster !

felt or cork but I’ve found felt that the Rega was intended for is best

1 hour ago, mr.me said:

I don’t actually own a CD player since I sold my Cyrus 6 to friend with my Cyrus 5 Amp.... don’t miss it, and I have the safety net if a decent NAD unit my daughter has in her room!

2 hours ago, Von Krolock said:

Piano will sound very odd on any record with a slightly off-centre spindle hole  - too many records have em. 

This is true. Side 2 of my copy of Kacey Musgraves' 'Golden Hour' LP is off-centre, but you only notice it on the last track, which is just the lady herself, backed by a piano.

You could try laying the offending LPs on top of a 'good one' to see if the holes align. Probably best done on the turntable platter if the spindle is long enough, then if the record edges don't align perfectly you'll have your answer.  However I've always felt that piano music has the ability to highlight problems that other music will not (probably down to pitch). Are you sure all aspects of your turntable your are set up as well as they can be, in particular is the belt ok and the platter running to speed. 

You should also be able to see the headshell waving from side to side on an off-centre record :).

5 hours ago, chris_bates1974 said:

Whenever I play records that feature live piano, such as Placebo Unplugged, or a couple of tracks off the Loud Like Love LP for instance, the piano sounds odd. At first I thought it might be the TT was running a little slow.

So by odd do you mean notes "waver" or sound flat or sharp when they shouldn't?  It is very hard to cast any comment without actually identifying the problem.  Are there records with piano pieces that do not sound odd?   Have you tried a classical Piano LP to see if the Piano sounds odd on that in the same way?

If it does not occur on other records with piano it suggests either a problem with the actual LPs or more likely it was a fault in the recording perhaps

4 hours ago, mr.me said:

is that to ensure everything sounds odd :sofa:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Thanks everyone, will check out the hole placement on the discs I hear it on, and report back! 

5 hours ago, wHIZZY said:

You could try laying the offending LPs on top of a 'good one' to see if the holes align. Probably best done on the turntable platter if the spindle is long enough, then if the record edges don't align perfectly you'll have your answer.  However I've always felt that piano music has the ability to highlight problems that other music will not (probably down to pitch). Are you sure all aspects of your turntable your are set up as well as they can be, in particular is the belt ok and the platter running to speed. 

You can just play it, look down or from the front facing the arm and see how the arm/cartridge is moving, it is usually pretty obvious, have seen it on youtube videos.