PuritéAudio

Do digital audio players sound different?

Super Dealer

Super Wammer

Haha, click bait from you again.

Having read through the description though there is a fundamental flaw in the methodology of the download test proposed so I will not be wasting any time downloading the file.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

This is interesting before even listening, Keith.  (Ignoring the click bait survey, from elsewhere, which reflects exactly what I’d expect if CD players are included.  Nobody thinks they sound the same!)

The four devices don’t even reproduce the volume levels the same.  Despite the author’s attempt to equalise them he cannot. So something ‘different’ is happening before we even worry about traditional sound quality concepts like tonality and resolution. 

Super Wammer

For me the flaw in this is the conversion of the original 44.1 / 16 bit file to supposed Hi Res . Why not just keep things simple and as per the original and compare the CD quality files ? I think it would have been much easier to fully equalize the volumes for each file in its native code as no dithered additional bits would be involved.

This is addiction to  arguments. Most things are not even about the subject matter. I'm beginning to think some get a rush from arguing for the sake of it. 9_99_9 Cables for example is a God sent for those addicted to arguments and confrontation. B|

Edited by Nativebon
Info

Totally irrelevant - yes DACs sound different and sources may sound different if they are presenting data at a higher bit rate.  We all know they sound different the thing is, I have yet to hear one that provides the same musical satisfaction I get from vinyl pre digital :)

• Like 1

Super Wammer

When I decided I wanted to try high res at home a few years ago I looked for a DAC to replace my 20 year old model. I tried 4 normally and well engineered models at home.

The most expensive was a Linn Klimax DS then a Resolution Audio Cantata "music centre", a Weiss 202 and the DAC side of a Metric Halo recorder.

The sound quality was so close I certainly could not discern one from the others blind on the sort of music I listen to. I could perhaps - just- detect a bit more detail on the Cantata, which is what I bought because of its versatility and styling rather than any impressive SQ.

I hear big differences between microphones, various tape recorders, speakers and speaker location. DACs, if there is a difference it is so minimal as to be negligible to me.

Edited by f1eng
  • Like 1