Kegworth Show Information

The information for this year's show is now live at www.thehifishow.com or by clicking on the show banner below.

NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS NOW OPEN - Special Offer....Stay Saturday, join in all the build up excitement on Sat night and then gain FREE access to the show on Sunday

LAST MINUTE WAM HIFI SHOW AVAILABILITY - ONLY A FEW EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 5 SLEEP ONLY ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 3 BIG SYSTEM SPACES LEFT

terryg1

Quad ll power amps

Super Wammer

Looking for advice just found out that my technics A8080 pre amp stage out put is not enough to drive my power amps appretly nead 1.5 v to get the best out of them ? Any help to track down a pre amp would be good 4/5 line in and a tape out please not to bothered about a T T input admin move if not in the right place thank you 

Edited by terryg1

It seems to have an input sensitivity of 1.4 volts versus the 775mV of later transistor Quads.  Would you use a Quad 22, or does it lack the versatility?

Super Wammer

Would use the 22 control unit but can't bleleve. How much there selling for just wounded if any one could recommend alternative pre amps that I could use or will have to save up for a good 22 

Super Wammer

👍

Here it says 1 volt, but I agree you’ve not told us what you’ve actually tried. 

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/technics/su-8080.shtml

Please complete your profile with your system, as that helps too.  What budget have you for a preamp?

1 minute ago, toprepairman said:

According to the service manual for the SU8080, the rated output for the pre out is 1v, but the max output is 9V, so should do comfortably.

That makes sense, doesn’t it. Especially with a CD input, rather than a cartridge. 

It does make sense, so next is to actually test it.

Another consideration are the QII's.

There are many moans about flabby bass and other performance claims of these fine amps.

The factory setting for these is 15 Ohms, when people are driving modern speakers closer to 4 Ohms.

Do make sure they are set for 8 or 4 ohms, whichever is appropriate.

Good point , I think the alternative  'strapping' for the output transformer sections is 7 ohm. Also,  confirm that the EF86 valves are in good health.

Super Wammer
19 minutes ago, toprepairman said:

It does make sense, so next is to actually test it.

Another consideration are the QII's.

There are many moans about flabby bass and other performance claims of these fine amps.

The factory setting for these is 15 Ohms, when people are driving modern speakers closer to 4 Ohms.

Do make sure they are set for 8 or 4 ohms, whichever is appropriate.

+ 1 on making sure the speaker settings are correct for the speakers you use . trying to drive a modern 8/4 OHM speaker from the 15 OHM taps (meant for Quad ESL Speakers) will greatly reduce the drive and control of your speakers . Note that the connection is a soldered one so if in doubt about your won soldering skills (like me) then get someone experienced to do it for you .