robbie010

DIY Record Flattening??

Super Wammer

Has anyone had any particular success with DIY vinyl flattening techniques that they could recommend?

Historically I have been lucky with vinyl and have very few records that are warped so much so to be of concern. However, I have just picked up a great copy of a Whitney Houston record for no money and it has a terrible warp in it, on the outer edge of the record the vertical travel of the cartridge must be 15mm easilly!!

I would never attempt DIY flattening with some of my more prized and costly records but I'm willing to give it a go on this one and maybe feed back the results if anyone is interested.

• Upvote 1

in my experience keeping all your records tightly packed avoids warping and for those records with a war,p after years of being tight in a rack they seem less pronounced.  I have not tried to flatten any records but if I was of a mind to - I would warm the record (in its sleeve) with the wife's hairdryer until the outer picture sleeve was feeling very nicely warm and then stuff it tight in the rack with the LPs ... 

I can vouch for the glass sandwich in warm [NOT HOT !]  oven method.

It won't always flatten a warped record 100% due to the raised label area in the middle but they'll end up flat enough.

I'd also  echo uzzy's comments.  You don't  want them wedged in too tight but I've known warps to all but disappear on their own over a period of time .

[ I also  think there may sometimes be stresses in the vinyl which relax over time without any additional help]  

Yes I have done it.  I cleaned the record thoroughly and then placed it between two sheets of glass.  A couple of books were added for weight.  I did this in an unfrequented corner of the house.  About a month later I returned to find partial success.  It was still slightly warped but playable.  The remainder of the warp was ameliorated by the Michel clamp.