bonzo

Tannoy Owners

Hi, Who are the Tannoy owners here, and what drivers do you have? Anyone with Black, Silver, Reds?

15 inch Monitor Golds?

HPD 385 and 315?

etc

I have tried searching but too many threads and cannot make out drivers

Well I know you heard my GRF Corner Horns with 15" Reds in them, and I think you also may have heard them when they had their original Golds fitted. The Golds are now back in and the Reds up for sale.

The difference between them is clear but impossible to say one is better than the other,  they just present the music differently.

Super Wammer

I still have Tannoy Cheviots (HPD 315) although I do not use them at present, and am not sure what to do with them. The cabinets are a little shabby, and as I am a fan of active crossovers, I have thought of new cabs and going in that direction with them. I started off with Ardens (HPD 385) but they were far too large for my small 2 up 2 down house.

I have used both, with a range of valve amplification, ranging from a 4 watt SET, a Croft OTL3 and a Unison research simply 4, all to good effect, but I really enjoyed them with a Luxkit Z504, 200wpc into 8ohms!

Edited by greybeard

1 hour ago, greybeard said:

I still have Tannoy Cheviots (HPD 315) although I do not use them at present, and am not sure what to do with them. The cabinets are a little shabby, and as I am a fan of active crossovers, I have thought of new cabs and going in that direction with them. I started off with Ardens (HPD 385) but they were far too large for my small 2 up 2 down house.

I have used both, with a range of valve amplification, ranging from a 4 watt SET, a Croft OTL3 and a Unison research simply 4, all to good effect, but I really enjoyed them with a Luxkit Z504, 200wpc into 8ohms!

Would be fascinating to hear what they can do in an active configuration.

I have a pair of 8" DC drivers that came from one of Tannoy's "in-wall" speaker products - they sound half decent in a ported 25 Litre box with an active crossover :D 

Mind you, they really need a  sub or to be built into a 3-way configuration - the bass is decent enough, but runs out of steam way before the mids/highs when you crank up the volume.

• Like 1

Wouldn't it make sense for this thread to be under Owner's clubs and Forums?   

Super Wammer

yes needs to be here kedar 

Super Wammer

incidentally the summits have now been replaced with eaton legacy and got some big rfc modded impulse too in another room . they are not dissimilar to the summit x in terms of dynamics . not nearly so much bass slam as the summit x , but image and live sound in buckets 

• Like 2