Sgt Pepper

Cassette Deck Thread

12 hours ago, orbscure said:

Thanks chaps... it'd be replay only so I have a DR-3 on the radar :) 

Ignorer all the Buy It Nows on eBay wanting stupid amounts. You can get them under £100 if you ignore all these and are prepared to wait. Because eBay chooses not to charge sellers for unsold items, eBay now is just an open season for dreamers wanting stupid Buy It Nows in the hope they'll find that one gullible / rich buyer.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Personally I'd be looking at a Yamaha cassette deck. Really impressed with the reproduction, and they are selling at good prices if you shop around.

I would suggest that 2 head Naks are a bargain these days when you compare what they originally sold for - approx 10 times the price of the Yamaha and the like, with significantly better reproduction capabilities. CR-3A (3 Head) are changing hands for about $150-200 or a CR-2A

Stuff like Studer, Tandberg and Revox are all great but still bring bog money and are harder to find.

I've still got my old Denon cassette deck which always sounded great but not as good as cd. i've not plugged it in for a few years now. I've still got most of my old cassettes from the 80's and 90's but most of them are knackered now - it is not a durable medium imho

• Like 1

i'm still having fun with cassettes. i've got a Denon DRM595 now. i never really stopped listening to cassettes, i had a Technics midi system which was my main hifi for years, till i upgraded then it found its way into my bedroom, and was used a lot up until we moved house.

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Still enjoying my BX-300E. The 'Mini Dragon' as it's known is quite the overacheiver compared to a lot of other decks, including lower tier Naks :)

I’ve got the Pioneer one with digital noise reduction, auto tape tuning and their FLEX treble restoration system. Don’t use it much, but all that tech works very well, especially for older tapes

Super Wammer

I gave my Nak a quick run this afternoon. It doesn’t get much use these days. The right channel wasn’t working at first but a quick tweak of the monitor switch and it burst into life. 

Here a pic I snatched. 

Nopiano’s Nakamichi ZX-7
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Yours was looking a bit lonely in this thread, Nopiano, so I thought I'd send a hello from it's cousin!

20190227_103055.thumb.jpg.f2a4ea826d53d217fe62fa03734a2912.jpg

• Like 1

Have a Technics RSBX 501 in storage that hasn't been touched for a few years.

It's mainly kept for the stacks of cassettes recorded in the 90's that I might need to revisit in the future when cassettes are a curio for kids to marvel over.

Last time I listened to it through my ATC-based amplification and active-speakers, I was shocked by the low dynamic range and limited bandwidth but charmed by the warm, easy-going analogue warmth.  Kind of how some older sports cars, however raw and crude, still deliver a driving experience unparalleled by modern 'fast transport'.

Reminded me that Dolby C can't have been approved by a panel of music lovers!

I had an Aiwa adf770, which tuned the bias, etc, for each tape brand. I used dolby c on it and it was the most transparent i'd ever heard it implemented. Having said that, the digital NR on my aforementioned Pioneer is pretty amazing. Dolby chips were only as good as the supporting engineering and varied hugely

4 hours ago, hairyderriere said:

Yours was looking a bit lonely in this thread, Nopiano, so I thought I'd send a hello from it's cousin!

20190227_103055.thumb.jpg.f2a4ea826d53d217fe62fa03734a2912.jpg

You are holding out on us. I can see a Sony Walkman Pro on the next shelf. (Great little machine, I had mine for years.)

• Like 1

Not sure I would have the stomach to go back to cassettes... along with vinyl, cassettes was a constant up until I purchased the CD player in 1997. When they work they are really good, but my cassettes used twist and tangle, especially the 120s.

No, I wouldn’t go back to it, but I’ve got a lot of cassette only stuff, limited editions etc, plus my own demos and live gigs from the past few decades. I’m in the process of copying them to cd on a Tascam CD-R. The thing about 120swas that the tape was much thinner. I remember buying a lot of C-100s, made by That’s tapes among others. Thicker tape and room for an album on each side, as a lot of albums were getting to be over the 40 minute mark. The advantage of decks with tape tuning was that you could get half decent results with almost any old brand.