Sgt Pepper

Cassette Deck Thread

1 hour ago, Nopiano said:

I thought this looked familiar...

Clean forgot about that. :whistle:

• Haha 1

I've got a good one and I've got two crap ones in need of electronic resto. My good one is a Nakamichi DR-1, dating from circa 1994:

image.thumb.png.a090405fd549f4ade4e60c9305b22c68.png

My two crap ones needing electric resto are more or less the same unit, bar plinth and branding. One is a Philips N2506 circa 1972:
image.png.897a2374aeb3f557ada1e2da02ae6b06.png

...and the other is a Dynatron CP-1, essentially the same chassis in a different case and branding:

image.png.91597a1a489108fc0df2f552c87ccdbe.png

In terms of 'serious listening' I'm a digital guy through and through, but I still get lots of enjoyment out of tinkering with ancient tech, far more than I would by buying anything I can afford new today.

• Like 3

I have been watching with interest, the cost of cassette decks are slowly rising due to the novelty factor and re release of cassette tapes but at around £18 for a tape, I’d rather have vinyl any day. 

I do own a cassette deck but it’s purely for nostalgia and playing recorded singing of my kids which I will eventually record onto CD or a hard drive..

personally, I have also kept my old JVC ‘Hifi Stereo’ VCR.. was so much better than most cassette decks of around 1989 etc and it was the closest thing to the original recording. I have always kept my decks in a warm environment to protect the innards such as the belts... 

Super Wammer
20 minutes ago, radiant red said:

I have been watching with interest, the cost of cassette decks are slowly rising due to the novelty factor and re release of cassette tapes but at around £18 for a tape, I’d rather have vinyl any day. 

I do own a cassette deck but it’s purely for nostalgia and playing recorded singing of my kids which I will eventually record onto CD or a hard drive..

personally, I have also kept my old JVC ‘Hifi Stereo’ VCR.. was so much better than most cassette decks of around 1989 etc and it was the closest thing to the original recording. I have always kept my decks in a warm environment to protect the innards such as the belts... 

I've bought a good number of cassettes brand new for £6 to £10 and plenty used one for a few pounds but some cassettes are slowly reaching silly prices.

Gone are the days where I live that you could buy vinyl or cassettes for a pound, damn hipster's

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Southeast said:

I've bought a good number of cassettes brand new for £6 to £10 and plenty used one for a few pounds but some cassettes are slowly reaching silly prices.

Gone are the days where I live that you could buy vinyl or cassettes for a pound, damn hipster's

I picked up the Clapton Crossroads (chrome) box set from Discogs for £4.00 last week. So bargains can be had, maybe not so much from eBay though.

It's blank tapes that are going stupid prices, £100 for a TDK metal MA-R I saw not too long ago. Presumably only going to collectors, cos who the hell is going to spend £100 on a 40 year old blank cassette then use it. But equally, what sad b-stard collects blank cassettes...o.O

Edited by BillShatnersToupee
correction
  • Like 1

Super Wammer
17 minutes ago, BillShatnersToupee said:

It's blank tapes that are going stupid prices, £100 for a TDK metal MA-R I saw not too long ago. Presumably only going to collectors, cos who the hell is going to spend £100 on a 40 year old blank cassette then use it. But equally, what sad b-stard collects blank cassettes...o.O

There's a guy who sells blank cassettes for very cheap prices plus metal cassettes at audiojumble

I believe his metal cassettes are £2.50 each.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, BillShatnersToupee said:

I think it's a case of there are collectors of everything under the Sun (from stamps to barbed wire) each to his or her own. 

Edited by Sgt Pepper

12 hours ago, orbscure said:

Out of idle curiosity, apart from the Dragon decks, which of the cheaper Nak decks come recommended or would be better than my Yamaha KX480?

Pretty much any of them, my 303 RX eats my KX530 for breakfast

• Upvote 2

Lots of love in this house. Decks: Nakamichi, Tandberg, Yamaha. Walkmans/-men: Sony, Aiwa, Panasonic. 

Finding new and interesting music and sounds available on cassette through Bandcamp re-ignited my interest. As did coming across a small cache of NOS pre-recorded tapes a few years ago.

Can't tell how far down the rabbit hole I am now - that's how far I am. Loving it, and working against the constraints and limitations is engaging, artful and fun.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, EddieRUKidding said:

Pretty much any of them, my 303 RX eats my KX530 for breakfast

Agreed. If you're mainly looking to replay not record (which I imagine is most people these days) a two header from the early 1990s like Cassette Deck 2 or a DR-3 will still lay most other machines from the same era to waste.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Super Wammer
30 minutes ago, BillShatnersToupee said:

Agreed. If you're mainly looking to replay not record (which I imagine is most people these days) a two header from the early 1990s like Cassette Deck 2 or a DR-3 will still lay most other machines from the same era to waste.

Seconded!  

IIRC, Nakamichi used to equalise replay in a non-standard fashion.  The design was that they under-equalised on recordings but over-equalised the playback (or the other way around, my recollection of cassette technicality is poor!).  The result was that it replayed brighter than any other deck - and as we all remember, cassettes rarely sounded bright enough - hence on other many decks Dolby B encoded tapes were deliberately played back with Dolby off, which brightened the quieter sounds. 

My ZX-7 needs a workout after reading this!  I think I need to treat it to a service too.  

If in the UK, it’s worth noting that some models can no longer be serviced.  See here:- https://www.bowerswilkinsworthingshop.co.uk/pages/service-info

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

Seconded!  

IIRC, Nakamichi used to equalise replay in a non-standard fashion.  The design was that they under-equalised on recordings but over-equalised the playback (or the other way around, my recollection of cassette technicality is poor!).  The result was that it replayed brighter than any other deck - and as we all remember, cassettes rarely sounded bright enough - hence on other many decks Dolby B encoded tapes were deliberately played back with Dolby off, which brightened the quieter sounds. 

The only side affect was that recordings made on some Nakamichi machines could sound a bit dull and lifeless on other brands of deck. Though I think by the time the Cassette Deck range was launched in 1990, they had smartened up their act with regards to the slightly non-standard EQ.

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Thanks chaps... it'd be replay only so I have a DR-3 on the radar :) 

• Like 2

On 28/01/2019 at 09:19, orbscure said:

Out of idle curiosity, apart from the Dragon decks, which of the cheaper Nak decks come recommended or would be better than my Yamaha KX480?

The BX-300E is highly rated and you can pick them up for a couple £hundred'ish.

• Like 1