Sgt Pepper

Cassette Deck Thread

Just wondering if anyone is still using theirs or have maybe dusted the cobwebs off and restoring their once pride and joy to it's former glory.  I am quite shocked at just how good they can sound.

Super Wammer

Fairly recently I bought myself a Sony TC-FX150, after coming across the owners manual for the one I used to have (bought late 80s). On initial play the sound was a bit slurred, so I've bought a service kit and manual and passed it to a wammer friend wizmax to fiddle with. Hopefully with new belt and a clean all should be good as this was a well rated budget deck at the time. Will hopefully have it back here in a few weeks and then start scouring the bootsales to replace some of the tapes I used to own. 

Edited by Lurch
  • Like 1

I’ve got.......um.....a few. Seven actually! I have a bit of a fascination with them and some of them perform very well.

• Like 2

Super Wammer

Yamaha KX480 for me... currently relegated to the spare bedroom so that I can digitise some old mix tapes, but may move it to the main system at some point during 2019 :) 

• Like 1

Super Wammer

... and Yamaha KX-580 for me. Cassette player is in my third system which is a bit of a sandpit, changing faster than most stuff I own). I had a fab CT-91 when I had my vintage Urushi Pioneer rig last year but can't compare directly as my amps have also changed.

My challenge is the quality of pre-recorded cassette tapes but this might be to do with where I get most of them which is in charity shops. I've had the odd tape which has made me worry my player has a fault but have then been relieved to find that the cassette tape in question is not so much pre-loved as pre-f&cked... usually stretched. The best cassettes though are fabulous, a great analogue source and I have to say I love the experience of inserting a cassette, rewinding or forwarding as required, playing, ejecting; it feels like something from centuries ago rather than only 3 decades ago.

Great thread idea.

Edited by TheFlash
  • Like 1

Bought a Nak BX-300E very recently. It has a couple of issues but sounds lovely.

• Like 1

Super Wammer

I have two, one with vu meters ( I have a thing for vu meters and one without. Will post pictures tomorrow. a decent cassette deck can sound bloody good.

Back in the day I would buy cassettes as they were cheaper then vinyls and I tend to now as well for the same reason. There are a few cassettes YouTube channels, one being cassettes comeback.

There are a number of cassette record labels and a number of artist release on cassettes,some big ones too but not of cause like in its heyday.

• Like 1

This seems like a repeat thread to me but oh well (no Peter Green Pun intended lol). I gotta couple of decks but use a Nak 303RX in my main system these days, is easy to use, sounds nice and still flips tapes. Also have a Teac V700 and a Yamaha KX530. Could only find a RX202 on Youtube, looks almost identical to a RX 303, as seen in the movie 9 1/2 weeks :D

Edited by EddieRUKidding
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, EddieRUKidding said:

Maybe we should have a tape thread for weird auto reversing mechs :D

I remember this very well. A friend had one. I could not see the point of waiting through six albums to hear side two. IIRC Philips also had a top loading mechanism which dropped the next cassette, and pushing the already played one to the side.O.o

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Out of idle curiosity, apart from the Dragon decks, which of the cheaper Nak decks come recommended or would be better than my Yamaha KX480?

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, orbscure said:

Out of idle curiosity, apart from the Dragon decks, which of the cheaper Nak decks come recommended or would be better than my Yamaha KX480?

That's how it starts... I'm taking bets now on how long it will be before you start a post with "Well I wasn't actually looking to buy a Nakamichi cassette deck but..."

Edited by TheFlash
  • Haha 1

Super Wammer

A severe lack of funds knocks that notion straight on the head Nigel... as well as more pressing HiFi needs... but never say never :) 

• Like 1

Super Wammer

I thought this looked familiar...

Super Wammer

Perhaps a nice fluffy mod can merge the two thread together :)

• Like 2