curry49

GUIDE TO THE BEST HI-FI STEREO SYSTEM - AT THE LEAST COST

Well, I'm glad this was free.

While I have some sympathy for the authors diatribe against modern speaker design, I'm 30% through the book and all I have read is the same argument 10 or 12 times.  Is there anything else?  I'm starting not to care.  It's badly written, in poor English, and reads more like an extended forum post than a book.

With structure, discipline and a professional editor this could have been great.  With none of the above, it's a sloppy mess.

Sorry. :(

Believe me when I say I thank you very much for the feedback.

I'm sure you'd have seen in the introduction that this was not written at the outset as a book. It's a compilation of pieces I'd written at different times, and this I'm sure accounts for some of what you'd found - repetition and all.

As to the 'English' issue, I'm sure there'll be several instances where I might have been saved by a proof-reader or an editor (I'm human and I do make mistakes). But I'm also confident enough to regard your biting remark with the level of concern it obviously warrants.  :nerves:[Edit: Look again there at the book (though it's not perfect) then look at all my posts here, and decide whether such an attack on my use of English is really warranted or whether some vexing issue might have caused this vehement outburst.  Again, I make mistakes sometimes,  but English is not one of my weak-points. I know hifi is a polarizing topic and that some take it more seriously than normal, so I apologize for anything found in the book that was so upsetting that such an attack would be launched regarding something that was kindly presented free of cost.]

They say less is more, sometimes. And I'd put this very point to one or two of my acquaintances who refused to say anything bad about the book, even when I asked them to be brutally blunt. And this is why I sincerely thank you for the brutal honesty my friends refused to afford me. I'd long had a feeling that the book would be better if I'd dumped or shortened several of the chapters which refer to issues which are covered elsewhere (sort of what a good editor would do) and this is another point you've confirmed.

This was nice, though, in a twisted way, "With structure, discipline and a professional editor this could have been great."  :^ How magnanimous of you to say that.

Careful there now - mind my swollen head.

But, by your general tone, I can see where you may have been seeking to be insulting and obnoxious regarding something presented to you for free as a gift, literally. It's a pity. You could have said all of what you said without seeking to be so insulting about something you were given. I appreciate your feedback - just not how it was delivered. But I guess it's just your nature to be as you are.

However, despite your n@$#y attitude, you have been very helpful. You've proven me right in all the niggling doubts I'd had. Thanks to you, there'll definitely be a shorter and better version of this book in a few weeks.

And I thank you again in all sincerity..

Cheers. ;-)

PS

Edit; 21/2/19:

Apparently, George 47 is ‘Wig-Wam’s main reviewer. In response to his expressed interest, I’d sent him a copy of the book. But, rather than waiting for red-tape to be addressed and for his busy schedule to be cleared, weeks from now, I'd opted for the prospect of a short and less formal 'write-up', here and now and inside this thread (for obvious reasons). And I couldn’t be happier with his findings expressed in his mini-review posted near the end of page 4.

He tells us of the book, “It is much reduced and five chapters have gone. It has also undergone revision to make it more focused and easier to read....   

The post is there to see, so I won’t quote the body of it here. But as to whether this book is worth anyone’s time, or whether this book might actually save the reader un-necessary expenses in system-building, he remarks at the end of this mini-review, “Give it a go, it ain't that expensive and might save you a bob or two. Provocative....yes.    

Yeah – controversial too!!!

Incidentally, even before this revision, a favourable review was also more formally done by a writer at a popular hifi webzine.

Edited by curry49

Just a minor point. Fixing your book won’t matter if you don’t come across as someone who is able to handle some criticism. Because in this game 50% of everyone you come across will be critical of some aspect of your opinion or style. Try to remember that the alternative is to be ignored which I can assure you is many times worse.

Point taken, Cable Monkey. However, my point is also that criticisms can be made without being insulting. For instance, you've just done it in a very tactful manner. Truth is that I agree with much of what was said, and I've already cut all of five of the twenty-nine chapters from the book, as I'd always felt that they overlapped too much and might have contributed to a sense of repetition. These are the chapters from "Balance" to "Why Small-Coned Speakers Can... etc." These changes will register in the 'Look Inside' feature in perhaps about 12 hours time. Further changes will see the cutting of large segments of some remaining chapters, especially on TTs and speakers, near the end of the book (as I think they're really too long) but this will take a bit longer to implement - perhaps as much a few weeks.

So it's not that I don't respect and appreciate the criticism - it's what I'd sought from my friends, and what I'd sought from this free-giveaway exercise - I just don't appreciate being insulted in the process. The changes I've already made constitute evidence of the fact that these changes had long been considered, and also evidence of the fact that I agree with much of what was said (if not all).

So, yes, I'm really sincere in my thanks to meninblack, and I'm hoping he will later confirm that the chapters I've removed were the main ones that irked him, as I suspect.

Any other feedback from elsewhere will also be appreciated. It's my reason for this exercise, after all.

Thanks

Edited by curry49

2 hours ago, curry49 said:

So it's not that I don't respect and appreciate the criticism - it's what I'd sought from my friends, and what I'd sought from this free-giveaway exercise - I just don't appreciate being insulted in the process.

Unfortunately, insults are in the eye of the beholder. I didn't read Meninblack's post as insulting. Don't ask for feedback if you can't take it with good grace.

For what it's worth, I got through the intro and to the start of Location 261 and lost interest - lots of arm waving but precious little content. I may get around to reading the rest at some point, but what I have read so far gives me little appetite to wade through the rest.

Edited by Tony_J

Whilst agree with MiB's main points that the book needs polishing I have to say I agree with the general idea of it that modern speakers produce thin, bright and bland sounding audio. 

I, therefore, welcome what is being said and have to say I sympathise with what he is driving at. For me, the empitomy of this approach was reached when I had the Krell 600 monoblock and Wilson speakers.  Yes, super detailed and ultra powerful but.....where were the dynamics of the music etc. And I could not agree more on the BC1 and LS3/5s.

Not got through it yet but like what is being said even if it is said more than thrice.

I would encourage you to polish the book and continue with the theme. Pity I missed the freeby.

2 hours ago, George 47 said:

Whilst agree with MiB's main points that the book needs polishing I have to say I agree with the general idea of it that modern speakers produce thin, bright and bland sounding audio. 

I, therefore, welcome what is being said and have to say I sympathise with what he is driving at. For me, the empitomy of this approach was reached when I had the Krell 600 monoblock and Wilson speakers.  Yes, super detailed and ultra powerful but.....where were the dynamics of the music etc. And I could not agree more on the BC1 and LS3/5s.

Not got through it yet but like what is being said even if it is said more than thrice.

I would encourage you to polish the book and continue with the theme. Pity I missed the freeby.

Despite the fact that I've quoted just one post here, I thank everyone for their input, including MIB (again). And as proof of my appreciation for all comments (including MIB's negative but mostly truthful remarks), I'm happy to report that my elimination of the five chapters previously mentioned is now apparent at the Amazon site (using the 'Look-Inside' feature).

Just like MIB, I believe there's a "great" book in there somewhere beneath all the excess "slop" and, though I don't have the luxury of professional editing, as he rightly suggests (a feature which makes good books 'great') I'm determined to cut the excesses to bring this book as close to 'great' as my own 'make-do' editing can.

The other changes indicated will also be implemented, beginning as soon as this is posted, but these will take a bit longer, as mentioned. At some point during this process, I could send a 'Word' copy to anyone interested in assisting with the improvements. And, as strange as this may seem, I'd be happy if MIB turned out to be the one to do this, as I actually like his honesty (if delivered in a less abrasive manner) but I doubt he'd be interested in such a waste of his time, so perhaps I'll just shelve this idea, after all. It was just a thought that sprung up while I wrote this. Nevertheless, I'm open to suggestions on this or any other issue.

Still, despite appearances of late, I'd be remiss if I didn't say I'm very encouraged by the comments I've received here, and, again, I thank all who've made the effort to offer their views.

However, I'm especially encouraged by these remarks, in particular, "Whilst agree with MiB's main points that the book needs polishing I have to say I agree with the general idea of it that modern speakers produce thin, bright and bland sounding audio...... I would encourage you to polish the book and continue with the theme...."

Thanks for that, George 47.

And thanks, again, to everyone.

Cheers    :)

Edited by curry49

Hi all,

I'm very happy to report that a very kind individual from here has just offered (by PM) to assist with the editing of the book, as he's encouraged by what the book has to say. (As is commonly known, the greatest 'sin' is for a writer to self-edit. But many do it out of necessity, and some of us then get to hear of all the issues an editor would have addressed, as with here). So then, the book's one great disadvantage, on which its faults are blamed (the lack of an editor) is now being addressed. Yaaaaaay!!!  :D

And, as I'd mentioned in my reply; Together, I'm sure we'll be able to trim it down to that "great" book that lies under the "sloppy' surface - assuming I'm reading MIB's allusion correctly.

Considering the fact that this book has already attracted a very favourable review from one popular hifi magazine, even in its initial state, I'm confident that the trimmed and improved version will be even more beneficial to anyone on a quest for better hifi, with info conveyed by a more concise book soon-to-be devoid of the distracting excesses which turned-off at least two important readers. Less is more?

But that review, contrasted with MIB's views, illustrate how diverse people's opinions can be. Nevertheless, I think the latter is also right in some of the views he expressed, and this is the reason for the book's revision, despite a 'nice' previous review..

I've given myself a couple of weeks for the revision, but I'm actually aiming to complete this in a couple of days, really, as several chapters have already been cut.

Thanks for all the interest shown.

Cheers  :)

PS

A review of the book is here;  https://www.tnt-audio.com/books/guide_best_hifi_e.html

Millennium, if you were searching for the book under discussion here, that's not it. Not sure it's OK to paste the URL outside of a free offer, but you can go to your country's Amazon site and paste the title in their search-box: "Guide to the Best HiFi Stereo System - At the Least Cost." 

Here's a pic:

GUIDE TO THE BEST HI-FI STEREO SYSTEM - AT THE LEAST COST fullsize.jpg

Edited by curry49

Result! 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cable Monkey said:

Result! 

Not clear on that. [The editing offer?]

Edited by curry49

Yes, you have the help to polish the product.

13 hours ago, curry49 said:

Hi all,

I'm very happy to report that a very kind individual from here has just offered (by PM) to assist with the editing of the book, as he's encouraged by what the book has to say. (As is commonly known, the greatest 'sin' is for a writer to self-edit. But many do it out of necessity, and some of us then get to hear of all the issues an editor would have addressed, as with here). So then, the book's one great disadvantage, on which its faults are blamed (the lack of an editor) is now being addressed. Yaaaaaay!!!  :D

And, as I'd mentioned in my reply; Together, I'm sure we'll be able to trim it down to that "great" book that lies under the "sloppy' surface - assuming I'm reading MIB's allusion correctly.

Considering the fact that this book has already attracted a very favourable review from one popular hifi magazine, even in its initial state, I'm confident that the trimmed and improved version will be even more beneficial to anyone on a quest for better hifi, with info conveyed by a more concise book soon-to-be devoid of the distracting excesses which turned-off at least two important readers. Less is more?

But that review, contrasted with MIB's views, illustrate how diverse people's opinions can be. Nevertheless, I think the latter is also right in some of the views he expressed, and this is the reason for the book's revision, despite a 'nice' previous review..

I've given myself a couple of weeks for the revision, but I'm actually aiming to complete this in a couple of days, really, as several chapters have already been cut.

Thanks for all the interest shown.

Cheers  :)

PS

A review of the book is here;  https://www.tnt-audio.com/books/guide_best_hifi_e.html

Millennium, if you were searching for the book under discussion here, that's not it. Not sure it's OK to paste the URL outside of a free offer, but you can go to your country's Amazon site and paste the title in their search-box: "Guide to the Best HiFi Stereo System - At the Least Cost." 

Here's a pic:

GUIDE TO THE BEST HI-FI STEREO SYSTEM - AT THE LEAST COST fullsize.jpg

For me, this post illustrates very well the fundamental problem I have with your writing style - you've taken 6 long paragraphs to say "I've got an offer of help and will be revising the book - watch this space". 

A valid point. But the problem is that one style might please some (especially those with very little interest in a particular matter) while the other style might please others; informing the interested reader on all relevant aspects surrounding the issue, instead of leaving the reader wondering about; who, what, when, where, and why. I've read several reviews that left me frustrated, with many unanswered questions which caused me to have to look for other reviews to garner the missing info. [For instance, how does the reviewed unit really compare with others like the writer's own reference gear?]

Look at your example, then look at mine, and consider how much more relevant info is conveyed in the latter - leaving no unanswered questions. I agree that your suggested style is relevant, at times - and I do use it too. But wouldn't you also agree that the more infotmative style is relevant even to some readers at other times? The trouble is that some may have issues with either style, obviously, depending especially on their level of interest in a particular subject. But you cannot please everyone all the time. Can you?

Cheers

• Like 1