emale

Stupid question!

Hello,

I’ve got a rather silly question for the Wam!

It’s regarding my amp, which is a rather old but stunning sounding Bel Canto Evo 2i.

The volume control on said amp goes from 0 all the way up to 99. Now I’ve never, ever gone louder than 83. And the reason for that is in my dim and distant past, I remember the amp’s manual saying that if I ever used the amp in home theatre bypass mode, that 83 was reference volume!

So I’ve always assumed I should never go above 83 on the volume!

Now the question, have I always been an idiot and is it safe to take the volume by 83 or will I blow my speakers?

Said speakers are Wilson Benesch Arcs.

many thanks in advance folks.

D

2 hours ago, emale said:

Hello,

I’ve got a rather silly question for the Wam!

It’s regarding my amp, which is a rather old but stunning sounding Bel Canto Evo 2i.

The volume control on said amp goes from 0 all the way up to 99. Now I’ve never, ever gone louder than 83. And the reason for that is in my dim and distant past, I remember the amp’s manual saying that if I ever used the amp in home theatre bypass mode, that 83 was reference volume!

So I’ve always assumed I should never go above 83 on the volume!

Now the question, have I always been an idiot and is it safe to take the volume by 83 or will I blow my speakers?

Said speakers are Wilson Benesch Arcs.

many thanks in advance folks.

D

I understand from a review that the Bel Canto has a maximum voltage gain of 16dB (unity gain corresponds to a display readout of 84) each input's initial output level is factory-preset at 65 - a 19dB attenuation from a source's input voltage. This programmed value can be customized for each input. So can the -20dB auto soft setting. And: Each input can be named with up to eight upper or lower characters for some cheap or impressive thrills (see right).   That suggests to me (but I could be wrong) that beyond 84 it will not increase the gain anymore because it has achieved its maximum.  

I think for you to get a definitive answer you need to talk to Bel Canto (or their distributors or dealers) .. 

• Upvote 2

padood is new distributor or tony at coherant would advise 

Edited by hifinutt

5 hours ago, emale said:

Thanks Uzzy, wonderful answer.

Glad I was of help - an upvote would be nice to help my ratings :bouncey:

Super Wammer
12 minutes ago, uzzy said:

Glad I was of help - an upvote would be nice to help my ratings :bouncey:

As my mum used to say. 

If you ask you don't get............ And if you don't ask, you don't want. 

• Haha 2

Looking at gain in isolation is not very fruitful.

Some recordings are louder than others and require more attenuation; some speakers are more sensitive than others and require more attenuation; some speakers present a more difficult load and require more current; etc.

• Upvote 1