insider9

Chasing system accuracy... Is there a point?

Recommended Posts

Well, it was partly traditional HiFi-itis.

I've had my speakers quite a while and some money burning a hole in my pocket... buying some more expensive ones seemed like a good idea! :D;)

But my room is not very big and a bit asymmetrical, and to really get a good home demo means buying brand new, which gets really expensive.

So maybe DSP is the way to go... the Hi-Fi upgrade for the 21st century!? :geek:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, mattykyuss said:

Agree with you.Spot on.Never have i been to gig ,and thought,.This sounds amazing in all truth.Sabbath was pretty good.Tool was pretty good.But on my little system at home ,it sounds much better to me.

It would depend on your choice of gig.  I have been to jazz, chamber music and choral where the sound WAS amazing.  Try Vivaldi in a little church in Venice, or Eberhard Weber at the Band on the Wall in Manchester.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, BeeRay said:

Yes there was some posts a while ago about it, people who tried had pretty mixed results. DSP will not correct everything, it's probably worth trying but maybe not as easy as some make out. What is the problem with your system?

My Antimode 8033 was simple, used on my sub. You position a microphone where you sit and run a test, or several if you have more than one favourite listening position and want a compromise. The cats run away from the very loud bass tones and then you find you have the best bass you ever had.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, awkwardbydesign said:

It would depend on your choice of gig.  I have been to jazz, chamber music and choral where the sound WAS amazing.  Try Vivaldi in a little church in Venice, or Eberhard Weber at the Band on the Wall in Manchester.  

Not realy my type of music.But yes .im sure some jazz venues etc sound good.But in general ,clarity at home at lower volume sounds better than just loud and ear scrapping live to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Muckplaster said:

My Antimode 8033 was simple, used on my sub. You position a microphone where you sit and run a test, or several if you have more than one favourite listening position and want a compromise. The cats run away from the very loud bass tones and then you find you have the best bass you ever had.

I meant not easy to get the sound right rather than to actually do the test, I was talking about overall sound not just for subs. Some said it sounded awful after the adjustments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, v1nn1e said:

Well, it was partly traditional HiFi-itis.

I've had my speakers quite a while and some money burning a hole in my pocket... buying some more expensive ones seemed like a good idea! :D;)

But my room is not very big and a bit asymmetrical, and to really get a good home demo means buying brand new, which gets really expensive.

So maybe DSP is the way to go... the Hi-Fi upgrade for the 21st century!? :geek:

Maybe, I have read MA and Cyrus are generally not a good combination.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, BeeRay said:

I meant not easy to get the sound right rather than to actually do the test, I was talking about overall sound not just for subs. Some said it sounded awful after the adjustments.

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood. The antimode 8033 has received widespread acclaim for its performance. 

Edited by Muckplaster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Muckplaster said:

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood. The antimode 8033 has received widespread acclaim for its performance. 

Is this just for bass? I looked on google and they are mention sub woofers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, BeeRay said:

Is this just for bass? I looked on google and they are mention sub woofers.

Yes, it is just for bass via a sub. There are more expensive models that work over the entire frequency range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BeeRay said:

Maybe, I have read MA and Cyrus are generally not a good combination.

Yes, so I have.

I don't know where the rumour started.

No doubt there's someone who doesn't like the combo but it's then got repeated ad nauseam and become a bit of an Interweb myth.

The impression you get is that everyone who's ever heard a pair of MA speakers driven by Cyrus amplification has run screaming from the room! 9_9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mattykyuss said:

Not realy my type of music.But yes .im sure some jazz venues etc sound good.But in general ,clarity at home at lower volume sounds better than just loud and ear scrapping live to me.

That's why it's hard to make generalisations. I don't much like the type of music that you do.  Although I will go loud, big venue gigs are not my thing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
17 minutes ago, awkwardbydesign said:

That's why it's hard to make generalisations. I don't much like the type of music that you do.  Although I will go loud, big venue gigs are not my thing.

Well big venue gigs are not my preferred choice (I am surprised if they are anybody's preferred choice).  I love small venues such as the Hammersmith Apollo (it will always be the Odeon in my head), our local theater (the Derngate .. saw John Martyn there and Jethro Tull on two occasions and loved it) and the Stables at Wavendon.  There is a magical closeness in those venues which makes the whole experience so much more magical.    

I realise now how lucky I was growing up in the 60s and 70s where we got to see biggish named bands for not a lot of money.  Our local Art and Tech College in Maidstone used to put on gigs regularly (where I saw Lindisfarne, Focus, Barclay James Harvest, Hawkwind, Head Hands & Feet, Manfred Mann's Earth Band and a host of others, I saw King Crimson at Chatham Central Hall .. I could go on (Giltrap and Brand  X at Guildford Civic Hall in the 70s) .  In those days the bands toured to promote record sales and hardly made any money - now they make all their money touring.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, awkwardbydesign said:

Do we have any input from blind listeners?  I would be curious.  At some, admittedly chamber, concerts I have shut my eyes and still been able to place the performers.  But of course I saw where they were beforehand.

I am sure Whiteheart ( Mac ) of this parish will be able to help with this sort of input, he has also heard my system and it's imaging / soundstage capabilities.

His own system isn't too shabby either. :D

https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/profile/58302-whitehart/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, uzzy said:

Well big venue gigs are not my preferred choice (I am surprised if they are anybody's preferred choice).  I love small venues such as the Hammersmith Apollo 

That is NOT a small venue!  It has over 3000 seats. I'm talking about somewhere like The Band On The Wall, 340 capacity, or Dartmouth Arts Centre,  173 seats.  Places where the artist can look you in the eye, and you can hear the direct sound despite any amplification.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, PuritéAudio said:

What do the lucky classical listeners have at home then?

Keith

Whatever suits them! On rehearing a concert heard live some might want to recreate the experience whilst others might want to study the details of the performers technique in a way that they couldn’t at the concert, unless they were ideally seated.

There is no single solution. Not even the speakers that you sell and are promoting in a discussion forum, turning threads into an advertorial. Dealers can make useful contributions to the forum but surely their bias for the products they sell should be restricted to the Trade area of the forum.

IIRC the conductor Bernard Haitink had Quad 63s at one time, and he is certainly someone who knows what the original sounds like.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.