insider9

Chasing system accuracy... Is there a point?

3 hours ago, awkwardbydesign said:

That is NOT a small venue!  It has over 3000 seats. I'm talking about somewhere like The Band On The Wall, 340 capacity, or Dartmouth Arts Centre,  173 seats.  Places where the artist can look you in the eye, and you can hear the direct sound despite any amplification.

It is a small venue in atmosphere  - it is built in such a way that there is an intimacy for all the attendees - unlike those small venues where you cannot see cos of the person in front etc.  As for an artist looking you in the eye - all you can see when you are performing on stage are the spotlights shining in your face :  :)   I have attended the few hundred seater venues (like the Stables) and have to say the atmosphere was totally wonderful - mind you the same is true of the Hammersmith Apollo.   I enjoyed watching Camel more at the Apollo than I did at Guildford Civic Hall due to the way the seating allows everyone a much better view of the performer.   We could compromise - it is very small compared to the NEC where I almost needed binoculars to see Pollice playing  :) 

FWIW I'm not sure what accuracy is in the strictest sense. There's no way of reproducing a live sound in your own house, unless you lob out all the furniture, TV, kids etc etc and buy yourself a 1000 watt amp.

In terms of neutrality, yes, that's audible. That said, to have all your equipment neutral can sound a little sterile, and that's why I like to mix 'n' match tonal qualities of each component. It adds, IMHO, a little bit of character to the presentation.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, uzzy said:

As for an artist looking you in the eye - all you can see when you are performing on stage are the spotlights shining in your face :)   

Not at the venues I mentioned.  They can see you shake your head if they play a bum note.  And look embarrassed!  I always say, if you're not close enough to lean on (or put your feet up on, if seated) the stage, then the venue is too big! :D

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Camverton said:

There is no single solution. Not even the speakers that you sell and are promoting in a discussion forum, turning threads into an advertorial. Dealers can make useful contributions to the forum but surely their bias for the products they sell should be restricted to the Trade area of the forum.

The WigWam (NOT the Wam!) wouldn't have allowed this.  Dealers were kept in their place.

• Upvote 3