insider9

Chasing system accuracy... Is there a point?

1 hour ago, savvypaul said:

At bake-offs I like to pee in a plastic glass and then throw it over other attendees heads towards the turntable...just for that 'live' feeling (if you go to the same sort of gigs that I do).

Not the sort of behaviour seen in the Wigmore Hall!

Come to think of it, never saw that at rock concerts over 50 years ago. Mind you, most of the audience were so stoned they couldn’t even remember where their willy was.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Camverton said:

Come to think of it, never saw that at rock concerts over 50 years ago. Mind you, most of the audience were so stoned they couldn’t even remember where their willy was.

I managed to control myself at the Northern Sinfonia Baroque Christmas concert...just flicked a few 'V's at the old boy on the opposite pew.

Regarding the throwing of liquids, as my mate says,

If it's cold, it's beer - if it's warm, it's not.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, savvypaul said:

Regarding the throwing of liquids, as my mate says,

If it's cold, it's beer - if it's warm, it's not.

You and your mate obviously avoided most of the sort of gigs I used to go to in 70's London. Everything there was warm, especially the beer.

• Like 1

Just now, rabski said:

You and your mate obviously avoided most of the sort of gigs I used to go to in 70's London. Everything there was warm, especially the beer.

Sounds like the early 70s, when me mum & dad had orange and brown velvet wallpaper...by the early 80s everything was cold (and grey), thanks to 'Thatch'.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Camverton said:

Once at a rock gig a guy near me injected himself and then threw the seringe over his back... Ouch.

1 minute ago, BeeRay said:

What has this got to do with the subject? 

About as much as many of the other posts frankly.

Super Dealer
1 hour ago, Camverton said:

Exactly. Arguably better than including it built into the speaker from the point of view of future proofing and if the manufacturer goes out of business. To be fair not all the 8Cs attributes can be fully replicated in software but careful, perhaps, over use of Dirac can get close.

This business about all we have is the recording so that is our only reference is simply not true for some lucky classical listeners. Attend one of the concerts the BBC broadcasts from the Wigmore Hall, record or listen to the Saturday repeat and then decide which approach to reproduction best evokes the emotion and experience of being at the concert; job done!

i am fairly certain that there won’t be agreement on which type of speaker works best, as we all listen in a different way to a live concert, but the original performance is a valid reference. Of course we are still at the mercy of the recording engineer, but choice of speaker system is all about working with the whole process to get the best recreation of the original performance.

What do the lucky classical listeners have at home then?

Keith

Having been considering a 'speaker upgrade but not sure what direction to go in, I've been intrigued by the room correction ideas that I've stumbled across and had a surf around and came across this...

https://www.minidsp.com/

Maybe its had an airing before? Seems like with a PC, the right software and a MIC, one can measure room problems and generate the data to correct it, up to a point, which can then be fed into a DSP that sits in your Hi-Fi chain, I'm thinking maybe between the pre-outs and power amp.

Not super cheap, but probably cheaper than an a speaker upgrade.

Has anyone tried something like this? I'm aware of the Dutch and Dutch and Kii solutions but they look like another order of magnitude in price.

Super Dealer

EQ is available in software such as JRiver and Roon, you would still need a microphone and then download REW software.

A MiniDSP processor works well too.

Keith

There's a thread in Tech Corner that I've responded to.

There's the REW software that can do the measurements with a connected microphone, but I think the Dirac Live system comes with its own measurement software and UI for the DDRC-24 DSP box.

They also sell the minDSP 2x4, which may be the same hardware but has no software with it, so I think that is more a roll your own solution.

All very intriguing!

• Upvote 1

I gave up trying to reproduce live sounds at home years ago, first problem is live what, second problem is live where, third problem is live volume. It seemed to make much more sense to me to go for enjoyable music. I stopped worrying about the hifi palaver and decided to buy a music replay system. In the main I am happy with my music at home. Is it hifi, possibly, but probably not, is it enjoyable, yes, and easy to use. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, v1nn1e said:

Having been considering a 'speaker upgrade but not sure what direction to go in, I've been intrigued by the room correction ideas that I've stumbled across and had a surf around and came across this...

https://www.minidsp.com/

Maybe its had an airing before? Seems like with a PC, the right software and a MIC, one can measure room problems and generate the data to correct it, up to a point, which can then be fed into a DSP that sits in your Hi-Fi chain, I'm thinking maybe between the pre-outs and power amp.

Not super cheap, but probably cheaper than an a speaker upgrade.

Has anyone tried something like this? I'm aware of the Dutch and Dutch and Kii solutions but they look like another order of magnitude in price.

Yes there was some posts a while ago about it, people who tried had pretty mixed results. DSP will not correct everything, it's probably worth trying but maybe not as easy as some make out. What is the problem with your system?

Edited by BeeRay

13 minutes ago, dudywoxer said:

I gave up trying to reproduce live sounds at home years ago, first problem is live what, second problem is live where, third problem is live volume. It seemed to make much more sense to me to go for enjoyable music. I stopped worrying about the hifi palaver and decided to buy a music replay system. In the main I am happy with my music at home. Is it hifi, possibly, but probably not, is it enjoyable, yes, and easy to use. 

Agree with you.Spot on.Never have i been to gig ,and thought,.This sounds amazing in all truth.Sabbath was pretty good.Tool was pretty good.But on my little system at home ,it sounds much better to me.

Edited by mattykyuss
WORD CHANGE