insider9

Chasing system accuracy... Is there a point?

Doesn't appear to be much anymore? I mean, it's about vibrato. That's insanity

I think digital was meant to fix this. 

Anyway I bought a power amp today I'm just not sure about the room?

Super Dealer
7 hours ago, Camverton said:

I found such fabricated recordings worked best with the high precision Dutch & Dutch speakers. It was when they were reproducing an acoustic event that they didn’t work so well for me. 

That’s because they are not reproducing an acoustic event but the recording of the event, quite different.

Ulitimately you choose the sound quality after all you have to listen to it.

Keith

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PuritéAudio said:

That’s because they are not reproducing an acoustic event but the recording of the event, quite different.

Ulitimately you choose the sound quality after all you have to listen to it.

Keith

A rather pedantic point you continue make!

I would suggest that it makes more sense to want the speakers to recreate in front of us an impression of the original live event, via the recording and equipment in our home, than a critical analysis of the recording. Slavish fidelity to the recording is for recording engineers and those who sell monitor speakers to the public.

"Ulitimately you choose the sound quality after all you have to listen to it."

How kind of you! but what you don't seem to grasp is that to my ears my approach is far superior to your narrow obsession to the recording rather than what it attempts to recreate. The recording is but an intermediary step, as is the microphone, the whim of the recording engineer not to mention all the equipment in the replay chain and our own room and ultimately ears and brain. IMO we need to consider the whole process and not get fixated on one part. That way we can, in our individual way, achieve greatest fidelity to the event.

Ultimately you choose to analyse the recording, after all you have to listen to it ;).

Super Dealer

Not pedantic but fundamental, if you want a live sound in your room hire a band, if we are interested in high-fidelity, rather than creating an enjoyable ‘effect’ then you can only hope to reproduce the file/record as accurately as possible.

Keith

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

Not pedantic but fundamental, if you want a live sound in your room hire a band, if we are interested in high-fidelity, rather than creating an enjoyable ‘effect’ then you can only hope to reproduce the file/record as accurately as possible.

Keith

Which you can't do with the current levels of science and technology available, so don't bother and just enjoy your tunes. That is of course unless you are trying to sell something to hoodwink people into believing it is possible.

• Like 2

My wife plays several musical instruments. I'm quite happy to listen to her playing the guitar in the living room but tend to vacate the room when she plays the saxophone. Not because she plays it badly (honest) but because it's too much in a relatively small room. On that basis is it reasonable to expect an orchestral piece or rock group to sound absolutely realistic in a domestic environment whereas a guitar piece or accoustic female vocal can sound superb. 

Super Dealer
1 hour ago, The Chronicals said:

Which you can't do with the current levels of science and technology available, so don't bother and just enjoy your tunes. That is of course unless you are trying to sell something to hoodwink people into believing it is possible.

Of course you can you just need a linear system, in a benign room.

Keith

2 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

Of course you can you just need a linear system, in a benign room.

Keith

Wrong. How many instruments do you play Keith? How many albums have you personally recorded, how many live gigs played? How many hours and hours in rehearsals have you done? Curious.

31 minutes ago, The Chronicals said:

Wrong. How many instruments do you play Keith? How many albums have you personally recorded, how many live gigs played? How many hours and hours in rehearsals have you done? Curious.

Keith is correct. A benign room free of resonances is surely the best way of getting the very best from any hifi system. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Muckplaster said:

Keith is correct. A benign room free of resonances is surely the best way of getting the very best from any hifi system. 

'Getting the best from', my point supported,thanks.

15 minutes ago, Muckplaster said:

Is it? Some speakers rely on boundaries to increase the bass. Some speakers are designed to be use in normal living rooms. It is also almost impossible in most living rooms to achieve and would be very expensive. How would you deal with windows, tables, tvs etc.? 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, BeeRay said:

Is it? Some speakers rely on boundaries to increase the bass. Some speakers are designed to be use in normal living rooms. It is also almost impossible in most living rooms to achieve and would be very expensive. How would you deal with windows, tables, tvs etc.? 

He is confused, and being hypocritical to his previous comments, which he does on a daily basis, hoping people don't notice, and laughing at the ones that don't and end up buying stuff from him.

twitter_01.jpg

1 minute ago, BeeRay said:

Obviously you can't go crazy in a search for perfection, but if you have a room that you want to use for music you maximise the sound absorption in the room with thick curtains and carpets for example. If you have a sub and  a bass boom caused by room resonances you can use an antimode to tame it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Chronicals said:

He is confused, and being hypocritical to his previous comments, which he does on a daily basis, hoping people don't notice, and laughing at the ones that don't and end up buying stuff from him.

twitter_01.jpg

How childish you are.

3 minutes ago, Muckplaster said:

How childish you are.

I AM! Staying young forever. Woot. 

• Haha 2