insider9

Chasing system accuracy... Is there a point?

20 hours ago, Camverton said:

I recently auditioned the very accurate Dutch & Dutch 8C speakers. They were superb at reproducing the sound on the recording, but in the end I couldn’t get away from the feeling that I was listening to a very good hifi playing sounds rather than performers playing music. Having said that they worked very well with manufactured recordings such as much pop and rock.

I struggle a bit with your example.

You seem to imply that listening to less of what's on the recording sounds more like performers playing music. How is that possible? A distorted sound cannot sound more real.

Aren't you perhaps making up for the deficiencies of stereo by subverting the rules?

I know that you are because you're using omni speakers which rely on the room's boundaries to compensate for stereo's inability to sound like the real thing... This increases the sense of involvement or immersion at the expense of other aspects, which probably aren't as important to you.

For me good documental-style recordings create a reasonable illusion but the magic happens only above a certain degree of fidelity, when the level of clarity, smoothness, dynamics and tonal accuracy are such that the speakers no longer appear to be the sound source and the acoustics of the original event become more defined.

For this you need a good room, the right positioning of both speakers and listener and a higher-fidelity system. And because stereo is a representation of reality we must be able to interpret what's on offer...

Edited by tuga

Measure how often you want to turn your system on and how long you listen for.

Because, unless you are a designer (or a wannabe designer) that IS 'the point'.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, savvypaul said:

Measure how often you want to turn your system on and how long you listen for.

Because, unless you are a designer (or a wannabe designer) that IS 'the point'.

IME. It is really no more complicated than that.....unless you make it that way.

Some of those  interested in this thread may also be interested in a free book download posted by curry49 in the 'Private HiFI Classifieds'. I think you will need to go the UK Amazon site and search for - “GUIDE TO THE BEST HI-FI STEREO SYSTEM - AT THE LEAST COST” as you may not be able to download it from the US site.  Note it is only available free for a limited period (today I think). Not had a chance to read much as yet but what I have read seems quite interesting. 

Excerpt from post - 

Book offer:

“GUIDE TO THE BEST HI-FI STEREO SYSTEM - AT THE LEAST COST”

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07J5TVS7Z

There's a new book available on Amazon. Normally sold for $9.99, it’s FREE for one day from midnight to midnight (Pacific Time) on Sunday the 27th of January, 2019.

Edited by wHIZZY
  • Like 1

Super Wammer
7 hours ago, PuritéAudio said:

It means that the speakers on and off axis response are the same, of course the off-axis is greatly diminished , colouration is due to the off-axis response notmatching the ‘on’ axis.

I believe what constitutes a good measuring loudspeaker is pretty much understood, read any of John Atkinson’s loudspeaker measurements for Stereophile if you are unclear.

Keith

You said wide dispersion and then completely ignore my question about that increasing reflections.  Now you're saying on and off axis is the same but off axis is different.

I don't require clarity as I've read lots and I'm very clear that there are many different opinions.  I'm also very clear that you have a one track view of things.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, insider9 said:

I went to see a band I've not known on Thursday.  Only put on a few tracks prior to the gig and though I'd like them. Band is called Birds of Chicago. Must say they were outstanding! Trio playing acoustic guitars, banjo, etc. and singing. Small venue packed max 100 people. They sounded excellent! As part of encore they came down and sang unamplified so you had a point of reference to how vocals sound. I spoke to them after the gig as well. 

Been listening to all their recordings since and must say that the vocals sounded so much better live. It's not just the atmosphere and I've only had two pints (0.5%). But some of their recordings sound too clean compared to live performance. Don't get me wrong SQ is good but there was marked difference. 

Considering room acoustics (both) concert venue and studio, different mics used, guitar strings or even picks... Is there a point sweating over playback accuracy? When there's so much variation during recording process.......

The recording is probably fairly compressed but the live performance will not be, so there will by far more dynamic range when live. I don't know this band, just playing Love In Wartime on Deezer and it does sound pretty flat. Their Live from Space is considerably better. 

Super Dealer

The important part is that the off-axis response should be smooth and even and mirror the on axis, this is the 8Cs designer Martijn Mensink discussing that very point.

Keith

1 hour ago, wHIZZY said:

Some of those  interested in this thread may also be interested in a free book download posted by curry49 in the 'Private HiFI Classifieds'. I think you will need to go the UK Amazon site and search for - “GUIDE TO THE BEST HI-FI STEREO SYSTEM - AT THE LEAST COST” as you may not be able to download it from the US site.  Note it is only available free for a very limited period (today I think). Not had a chance to read much as yet but what I have read seems quite interesting. 

Excerpt from post - 

Book offer:

“GUIDE TO THE BEST HI-FI STEREO SYSTEM - AT THE LEAST COST”

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07J5TVS7Z

There's a new book available on Amazon. Normally sold for $9.99, it’s FREE for one day from midnight to midnight (Pacific Time) on Sunday the 27th of January, 2019.

Not keen on the BBC sound is he! 

And it's pretty plain to see why the book is being given away free.

Edited by JTW

1 hour ago, PuritéAudio said:

The important part is that the off-axis response should be smooth and even and mirror the on axis, this is the 8Cs designer Martijn Mensink discussing that very point.

Keith

Keith, Do you know where I might be able to buy one of these excellent speakers and would it go well with an RME DAC?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, PuritéAudio said:

I think that you have missed @sunbeamgls's point...

What about dispersion? Surely wide dispersion in a domestic environment is not a good thing.

Edited by tuga

Super Dealer

I don’t think so, look at the video.

Keith

3 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

I don’t think so, look at the video.

Keith

Think about it, wide dispersion and bare walls in small rooms.

Super Dealer

Wide even dispersion,it is all explained in Toole’s ‘Sound Reproduction’.

Keith

3 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

Wide even dispersion,it is all explained in Toole’s ‘Sound Reproduction’.

Keith

Yes, if you want to listen to the room.

The room, as you may well know produces "interference".

Even dispersion, yes, but not wide.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JTW said:

Not keen on the BBC sound is he! 

And it's pretty plain to see why the book is being given away free.

Now I've read a little more I tend to agree and think he possibly may have shares in Klipschs speakers. However, although massively over wordy, I think there may be a few truths buried in the mass of padding, problem is it's such hard work to wade through.

Edited by wHIZZY