bumpy

DSP low pass filters

3 minutes ago, bumpy said:

Nice idea, but its very much old school so 'no'

Psvane.jpg

Ah well...

Last time I checked Minidsp didn't have any products that offered high level signal. If that was me with the direction you've gone I'd do one of the two things

- measure bass driver response and mid and design a passive crossover. Guys at duyaudio would help with that 

- I'd buy two used subwoofers that accept high level signal and take them apart using only amp section for each driver

8 minutes ago, Tony_J said:

Pretty sure from a brief scan of the product details that the pwr-ice 125 is low level inputs only. Of course you could create a low level signal from your speaker outputs with a potential divider...

As a novice in electronics, can you recommend a site that discusses this.

8 minutes ago, insider9 said:

Last time I checked Minidsp didn't have any products that offered high level signal. If that was me with the direction you've gone I'd do one of the two things

- measure bass driver response and mid and design a passive crossover. Guys at duyaudio would help with that 

- I'd buy two used subwoofers that accept high level signal and take them apart using only amp section for each driver

Thanks Insider 9.

Two good recommendations. My initial reaction.

- measure bass driver response and mid and design a passive crossover. Guys at duyaudio would help with that   - Considering this with purchase of Mini DSP microphone

- I'd buy two used subwoofers that accept high level signal and take them apart using only amp section for each driver - unfortunately most offer fixed order crossovers.

6 minutes ago, bumpy said:

As a novice in electronics, can you recommend a site that discusses this.

It is a technique often used for easily adding extra amplification to car radio systems - basically you use a twin ganged potentiometer, connect the tracks across the speaker terminals and take the low level signals from the sliders. You have to adjust the pot so the signal is at an appropriate level of course. Discussion here: 

https://www.termpro.com/asp/pubs.asp?ID=119

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, bumpy said:

Thanks Insider 9.

Two good recommendations. My initial reaction.

- measure bass driver response and mid and design a passive crossover. Guys at duyaudio would help with that   - Considering this with purchase of Mini DSP microphone

- I'd buy two used subwoofers that accept high level signal and take them apart using only amp section for each driver - unfortunately most offer fixed order crossovers.

My Rel Subs have built in amps and  low or high level connection and allow you to switch the internal EQ off, which allows external DSP then feeding into low level input on the sub. 

Edited by Gizza
Typos.

On 26/01/2019 at 14:57, Tony_J said:

It is a technique often used for easily adding extra amplification to car radio systems - basically you use a twin ganged potentiometer, connect the tracks across the speaker terminals and take the low level signals from the sliders. You have to adjust the pot so the signal is at an appropriate level of course. Discussion here: 

https://www.termpro.com/asp/pubs.asp?ID=119

Bare in mind I am no expert at this, but my reading suggests the use of 2 resistors if you know the attenuation required. Lets assume line level is 2 V, do we know what speaker level is?

Edited by bumpy
  • Upvote 1