bumpy

DSP low pass filters

I need to control my bass driver separately from the mid and tweeter which are working perfectly.

So I need a low pass filter probably with DSP that is capable of accepting a high level signal from my amp (like most powered subs can). If it has amplification as well that's fine.

For the low pass filter I need to adjust at least the position of crossover and slope.

Any recommendations

seas in location small.jpg

Super Wammer
17 minutes ago, bumpy said:

I need to control my bass driver separately from the mid and tweeter which are working perfectly.

So I need a low pass filter probably with DSP that is capable of accepting a high level signal from my amp (like most powered subs can). If it has amplification as well that's fine.

For the low pass filter I need to adjust at least the position of crossover and slope.

Any recommendations

seas in location small.jpg

Are these used with an active crossover?

Nope they use quality passive crossovers and silver wires. I have upgraded the mid range driver to an SEAS Exotic W8 driver which is capable of playing beautifully to lower frequencies than the previous Saba Greencone.

But, the 15" vintage Altec drivers now overlap too much and 'dull down' the lower frequencies. To determine appropriate inductors and capacitors seems a very expensive experiment, so I am looking at making the crossover to the bass units active with DSP (a little bit like a separate sub).

Edited by bumpy

Super Wammer

I would imagine one of the mini DSP units would fit the bill nicely, but taking the whole speaker active, would probably improve things even more :)

• Upvote 1

My whole system is designed and built around the concept of minimal messing with the signal (NOS DAC etc).

For the bass, I look at DSP grudgingly as a means to an end. Rightly or wrongly I think the bass drivers are less susceptible to transmitting any 'digital' distortion to the listener. I would not let digital processing anywhere near the midrange or tweeter.

I have a simple question about the MiniDSP PWR ICE125 which looks good, but can it accept a high signal (speaker level) rather than line level?

Super Wammer

@Tony_J can you help this gentleman out as you use the DSP.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
3 minutes ago, bumpy said:

I have a simple question about the MiniDSP PWR ICE125 which looks good, but can it accept a high signal (speaker level) rather than line level?

Looking at its spec, it would appear not. Do you have a way of feeding it a digital signal? I feed out of my Squeezebox Touch via Toslink into my Minidsp 2x4HD and it sounds superior to me to feeding into the analogue inputs. 

8 minutes ago, bumpy said:

You will find technical details on the miniDSP site - you can download manuals etc from there. However, the miniDSP devices I have knowledge of (2x4, 2x4HD, DDRC-24) all use low level signals.

Edited by Tony_J
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gizza said:

Looking at its spec, it would appear not. Do you have a way of feeding it a digital signal? I feed out of my Squeezebox Touch via Toslink into my Minidsp 2x4HD and it sounds superior to me to feeding into the analogue inputs. 

My main reason for going my way is that the main power amp will control all the driver volumes in one go.

12 minutes ago, Tony_J said:

You will find technical details on the miniDSP site - you can download manuals etc from there. However, the miniDSP devices I have knowledge of (2x4, 2x4HD, DDRC-24) all use low level signals.

Thanks Tony. I have been registered there for a couple of days but as yet they have not allowed my posting to appear. - Don't they want to sell anything ¬¬

Edited by bumpy

1 minute ago, bumpy said:

My main reason for going my way is that the main power amp will control all the driver volumes in one go.

Does the power amp have a pre-out? If so, you could use that into a miniDSP 2x4. That would give you the control you need of crossover frequency and slope, and still give you a single volume control.

2 minutes ago, bumpy said:

Thanks Tony. I have been registered there for a couple of days but as yet they have not allowed my posting to appear. - Don't they want to sell anything ¬¬

They do tend to be a tad slow responding on the forum. However, if you go to the individual product sections on the website you will find links to the product's documentation in PDF. Look under product downloads on this page, for example:

https://www.minidsp.com/products/plate-amplifiers/pwr-ice125

2 minutes ago, Tony_J said:

Does the power amp have a pre-out? If so, you could use that into a miniDSP 2x4. That would give you the control you need of crossover frequency and slope, and still give you a single volume control.

Nice idea, but its very much old school so 'no'

Psvane.jpg

Pretty sure from a brief scan of the product details that the pwr-ice 125 is low level inputs only. Of course you could create a low level signal from your speaker outputs with a potential divider...