The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

zee9

Looking for Linn parts

Hey everybody,

I know this is a long shot but I thought i’d give it a try. I’m looking for some spare parts and was hoping someone who was not using them would be happy to get rid of them or sell them

Tweeters for keilidhs & kabers

Looking for 15/2 to 15/5 or 38/2

Drivers for kaber

007/2

Also if anyone has the basic bases for keilidhs i’d be interested in those too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super Wammer

You might catch the eyes of more Linnies here:-

https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/forum/144-hi-fi-separates-and-components/

Are your tweeters the three point fixing ones, such as here?  

https://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/drive-units-1.html?cat=277

Super Wammer

Maybe I should elaborate.
Part1:
I have a pair of mint keilidhs and just blew two drivers from the left speaker due to a mistake of plugging the RCA to power amp in remote instead of line out. I had it wired from my unidisc SC to a fully restored and repaired Kinos to my C3200 amplifier in passive mode.

The keilidhs have 15/2 tweeters both seem to be working fine. The plan was to sell them once I found a nice pair of ninkas but after blowing the woofers I can’t call them mint anymore. I’ve found replacements for the drivers and was thinking to make them aktiv since I have aktiv cards for my other chakra C5100 amplifier.

Part2:

Between blowing the drivers on one of my keilidhs and finding some replacement used drivers, I found a pair of used Kabers for peanuts. They didn’t have the kustone stands and even though they sound ok. One of the drivers is ripped at the rubber part that bubbles out when you look at the speaker from the front. Photo below

60064ec4c32203b0cbb2a5f404e488b7.jpg

I removed the damaged (lower)driver to try and see if I can fix that tear and found the driver to be spkr007/2 which surprised me since the Kabers are a very very old pair. Model numbers are 5813/14. Would the (upper)driver be the same model no.

The tweeters are d20-lp-2. I really don’t like how shrill these tweeters are.

My ideas:
Was thinking of buying a pair of new matched hiquophon ow2-92 as those would be an upgrade for the keilidhs and moving the 15/2 tweeters from the keilidhs to the Kabers. I’d run the keilidhs aktiv on my c5100 and keep the Kabers passive with the 15/2 tweeters on my c3200. Still looking for a replacement driver for the kaber.

My concerns:
I removed the Kinos and realized that I prefer the sound with the unidisk as my pre while testing out the Kabers. I heard them on the kinos too but prefer the sound without it. Is that weird? It was also easier using my universal remote so that not both devices (unidisk and kinos) would react to it simultaneously.

My thoughts:
I haven’t heard the keilidhs in 2 months but find even my c3200 not enough to drive the Kabers passively. Is that a real possibility? Or do I just feel the sound from the Kabers is so different. The Kabers do sound more refined but lack bass and I don’t like the tweeter for some odd reason. I thought my keilidhs has perfect bass 13” from the wall but after hearing the Kabers maybe I mistook loose base for enough bass.

My questions:

If running the keilidhs aktiv what tweeter do you suggest for them? 15/2 or the hiquophons?

For the passiv kabers? Do I need a stronger amp? Would the 15/2 tweeters suffice for the Kabers in passiv Mode?

Lastly. The Kabers didn’t come with kustone stands but it did have smaller 2 x “U” shaped bases that were really heavy too. Are those enough for the Kabers? Since I do have one pair of kustone stands should I save those for the aktiv keilidhs or for the passive Kabers.

All interconnects are Linn black interconnects.

I know it’s a long confusing story but with my present situation I feel restoring the Kabers and my keilidhs is better than spending money on used ninkas.

Its all a bit hit and miss to be honest Zee [....even if it might   also be a lot of fun.

The problem is that 100% correctly spec'd  drive units for the speakers are no longer available .

Yes, various Hiquphon tweeters that are sort of compatible may be sourced...and you can find mid/bass units  that fit physically...but the results  are variable and often leave the speakers without the musicality that endeared them to folks  the first  place.

[I tried some Hiquphon HF units in my Kabers not so long ago, after I'd allowed a couple of folks to convince this old Luddite that they might be an "upgrade" .

Suffice is to say they weren't ...and thank goodness I still had the fully working original units to pop back in. 

Other folks may have liked them of course...but to me effect was to make the speakers sound like ...errm...speakers...and they distracted me from the music itself]  ]

Edited by Smokestack
  • Like 1

Super Wammer

One of the issues when using non standard replacement units in any speaker design is that while the may physically fit and the may have similar measurements they are unlikely to to be exactly the same and the passive crossover may well need some items replaced and changed in order to get the speakers working back to the original model . This of course does not apply to actives but you may well need to adjust the active cards to suit the paramaters of the new drivers in order to get them to sound the same . Whichever you do it is not a simple fit and forget process.

• Like 1

Hi,

I have at least 1 Linn tweeter available and maybe some bass units. Not sure which ones they are but can check if you are interested. Somewhere in the house there must be some basic stands as well. Let me know

Andy

Correction... I have at least 2 treble drivers! 

I’ve sent you few messages. Pls feel free to email me at zee4nyc@gmail.com