Southeast

leaving a cd player on

Super Wammer

What are people's thoughts on leaving a cd player on always. Do you think it improves the sound as i know some people believe in leaving an amp on all the time improves the sound so wondering if it is the same with cd players.

I haven't a clue so I thought I would ask you expert's. :)

2 hours ago, Southeast said:

What are people's thoughts on leaving a cd player on always. Do you think it improves the sound as i know some people believe in leaving an amp on all the time improves the sound so wondering if it is the same with cd players.

No. 

Super Wammer

I leave all my source gear and my non class A amps on 24/7 on the basis that it is the switch on surge that often kills circuits. Many of my hifi items have been switched on continuously for about 15 years and I would rather that than switching it on and off 365 times per year. 

I don’t do it for sound quality reasons, rather to preserve my gear. 

Edited by Fourlegs
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

Switch all my gear off when not listening, including my all valve output stage CDP.

Oddly though, it all sounds better when switched on 🙃

Edited by Idlewithnodrive
  • Haha 1

Super Wammer
3 hours ago, EddieRUKidding said:

Call me a nay sayer but unless its a valve powered jobbie I would not bother ;-)

I thought I read somewhere that valve jobbies reached peak performance quicker than solid state after switch on. A valve very quickly comes up to temperature.

• Haha 1

Super Wammer

You need to take the manufacturers advice. The company I used to work for supplied cd players for 24/7 use and we used to fit upgraded transformers in the power supplies compared to the consumer product as the transformer used to run quite warm.

It all comes down to good or poor circuit design. 

Alan

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mines been switched on 9 years 😂 can't say whether it makes a difference to the sound though can't be bothered to reach around the back of the Roksan to turn it off.

• Haha 1

No, you don’t need to leave your CD player switched on. I’m not sure where this theory about stuff failing on startup comes from, but it doesn’t tally with my experience.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer
26 minutes ago, Beobloke said:

No, you don’t need to leave your CD player switched on. I’m not sure where this theory about stuff failing on startup comes from, but it doesn’t tally with my experience.

To be fair it is probably more an issue with valve stuff where the heater switch on current can be quite (very) high until the heater comes up to temperature and increases the resistance, thereby dropping the current.

Like Andywilliams, leaving stuff switched on is possibly more to do with laziness with me as well!

• Like 1

I switch all my gear off when not playing, with the cost of electric these days it saves over £100 per annum, so over 20 years that will cost of my my hifi. I've had cdps over 25 years, still work if switched on and off. 

• Like 1

Super Wammer

I think that's a thing of days gone by when it took a while for early transistors to "warm up" in amps, related to crap like slew rate etc I would guess (dont quote me on that).

As long as the kit is fairly modern I'd say leave everything off when not listening as there's not much change in sound quality and we should all try to save the planet!

With all that said I do leave my phono stage on all the time, simply because it was designed and the manufacturer recommends it to be left on all the time. They also put the power switch on the back:grrr: (PS Audio GCPH).

Super Wammer

I used to leave my Krell CD player on standby more or less permanently, only turning off for holidays etc.  There was no power switch on the machine, just standby or On. 

My Marantz, by contrast, not only has an on/off switch on the front panel, but after thirty minutes flips automatically to standby if left on but unused. I guess that’s a EU thing?

Super Wammer

Interesting replies, I turn my player off night as I do my amp. Glad in doing so I will causing it to die sooner. :)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Southeast said:

Well IMO it makes sod all difference .. but I am sure others will say differently.  If you google warm up times there are notable arguments on how long it takes for electronics to achieve optimum to work.  The acid test for you is to play your favourite track after turning on from cold .. then play it again half hour later and see if it sounds any better (good luck with that one) :sofa: