timster

Surround Pass-through for Exaxtboxes?

Super Wammer
3 hours ago, timster said:

Of course, that's what makes it interesting. And difficult at the same time!

I am asking really because hopefully I'll be able to change my 140s for Kudos one day and then I'd be better able to go fully Linn surround. As the Kudos (all of them I believe?) only require 4 channels in total, I was wondering whether to get a AkuKat6/KlimaxKat and A4200 for stereo duties and keep the AkuKat10 and M6100 for surround duties. Your view sounds like the Aku would be the way to go in that scenario - and save a lot of moolah in the process. New prices = 11K v 18K. I doubt I'd get much for my now pretty ancient M2100.

Super 10, Super 20, Titan 505, Titan 606 and Titan 707 require 4 channels.

Titan 808 requires 6 channels.

I can tame the treble in a specific Exakt filter design just for you Timster, if you find them a little too much in the longer term, after they've run-in.  A nice -2.5dB shelf from 3.5kHz upwards does a good job on them.

The 707 and 808 are WAYYYY out of my league ;)

Would be Super 20, 606 at a push. Or 505 if I can handle stand mounts. I'd have to listen of course.

I'll keep the treble tweaks in mind - too bright without?

Posted (edited)
On 24/01/2019 at 15:00, sunbeamgls said:

When using the newly available surround sound processor board (that goes inside any DSM with an Exaktlink and HDMI2 board), you can use an Exaktbox to output a full range signal from each channel.  Normally, an Exaktbox output channel is for one driver, with this option, each output channel is full range for one whole speaker.  So you'll be able to drive your centre, rears and sub from one Exaktbox6 or one Exaktbox-i.

Actually,  according to Linn Docs, you don't even need the newly available SS processor board to take advantage of the full range pass through Ebox option - just Davaar68 - excellent !!

Of course without the SSPB you'll need to feed your DSM with LPCM (decoded multichannel) available from BluRay players etc but the fact that existing DSMs can support surround capability is, well, great news for movie fans like me  ; - )

Edited by Sound Hound
additional narrative

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, timster said:

The 707 and 808 are WAYYYY out of my league ;)

Would be Super 20, 606 at a push. Or 505 if I can handle stand mounts. I'd have to listen of course.

I'll keep the treble tweaks in mind - too bright without?

Hi Timster, it's been over 12 months since I bought my ex-demo Super 20As so they have been well run in.  When I first had them I found them a bit too bright for my ears so used Sumbeam's suggestion of a negative treble shelf to tame the highs.  Over time either my ears have acclimatised to the treble or my advancing years (and ears) have had the same effect or the tweeter has mellowed with use - Ive been gradually reducing the negative treble shelf until now it's been completely removed.  They sound fantastic :x

Edited by ae111sr
spelling

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, ae111sr said:

Hi Timster, it's been over 12 months since I bought my ex-demo Super 20As so they have been well run in.  When I first had them I found them a bit too bright for my ears so used Sumbeam's suggestion of a negative treble shelf to tame the highs.  Over time either my ears have acclimatised to the treble or my advancing years (and ears) have had the same effect or the tweeter has mellowed with use - Ive been gradually reducing the negative treble shelf until now it's been completely removed.  They sound fantastic :x

:) an Exakt designed in shelf does a better job than an SO tweak and will still work with SO v2 when it arrives.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ae111sr said:

I can't say I noticed when I demo'd them at Ceritech (and they were well run-in as you know).

One day soon I hope... Audience have the same pair (in that finish) last I went there.

One thing I've been wondering about on this front (if you'll excuse the pun) is whether you can set it to pass-through full range on the L-R stereo channels?

This would allow someone with an *EDSM and Exaktbox (e.g. me), to run a passive stereo set-up if need be? e.g. for testing speakers, coping with an amp problem, money problems!

It's obviously not listed as an example (as it defeats the purpose of Exakt), but would increase the flexibility and use-case of an Exakt only system like mine.

10 minutes ago, Solanum said:

One thing I've been wondering about on this front (if you'll excuse the pun) is whether you can set it to pass-through full range on the L-R stereo channels?

Don't see why not. The Ebox, if set up to pass-through full-range, will do so... so you could add any passive speakers you like. If the incoming signal is stereo L+R then that is what it will do...

Posted (edited)

Hi Everybody, I finally took the effort to register myself on this forum since the Linn forum was shutdown (which is the biggest mistake ever, if you ask me).

I just learned of the new possibility regarding the surround mode for exaktboxes and I am leaning towards buying a Majik Exaktbox-I (for my surround channels, center and sub). I was just wondering if the surround module upgrade would be necessary in my setup (OPPO UDP-203 -> AEDSM without the HDMI 2.0 board -> Akurate Exaktbox/10 -> Majik 4100's -> Majik 140's), as the Oppo can already decode the audio to Multichannel LPCM. I should then be able to use a Majik Exaktbox-I to add the surround channels, center channel and sub to my setup, without the need of the surround module upgrade. That being said, would the surround module upgrade be of any benefit (sound quality wise), over the Oppo?

Edited by HarmHeusinkveld

2 minutes ago, HarmHeusinkveld said:

Hi Everybody, I finally took the effort to register myself on this forum since the Linn forum was shutdown (which is the biggest mistake ever, if you ask me).

I just learned of the new possibility regarding the surround mode for exaktboxes and I am leaning towards buying a Majik Exaktbox-I (for my surround channels, center and sub). I was just wondering if the surround module upgrade would be necessary in my setup (OPPO UDP-203 -> AEDSM without the HDMI 2.0 board -> Akurate Exaktbox/10 -> Majik 4100's -> Majik 140's), as the Oppo can already decode the audio to Multichannel LPCM. I should then be able to use a Majik Exaktbox-I to add the surround channels, center channel and sub to my setup, without the need of the surround module upgrade. That being said, would the surround module upgrade be of any benefit (sound quality wise), over the Oppo?

Hi Harm

The surround module is actually for DSMs (ie your AEDSM) which needs the HDMI2.0 board upgrade as well. Then the Majik (Akurate as is now) Ebox-i would be used (with the surround pass-through firmware) to drive your surrounds and centre (not sure about the sub) while your existing (very nice - see sig) system handles the front L&R as usual. Then your OPPO can pass encoded data to the DSM which will then handle the decoding and get the timing right. That's the theory anyway.

Looky here https://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Surround_Sound_Variations

44 minutes ago, timster said:

Hi Harm

The surround module is actually for DSMs (ie your AEDSM) which needs the HDMI2.0 board upgrade as well. Then the Majik (Akurate as is now) Ebox-i would be used (with the surround pass-through firmware) to drive your surrounds and centre (not sure about the sub) while your existing (very nice - see sig) system handles the front L&R as usual. Then your OPPO can pass encoded data to the DSM which will then handle the decoding and get the timing right. That's the theory anyway.

Looky here https://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Surround_Sound_Variations

Hi Timster, 

Thanks for your reply. What I meant to ask was, if the surround module upgrade (and HDMI 2.0 upgrade) is necessary to use the Majik Exaktbox-I to drive the surrounds/centre/sub. Or could I just use the Oppo to do the decoding?

1 hour ago, HarmHeusinkveld said:

Hi Timster, 

Thanks for your reply. What I meant to ask was, if the surround module upgrade (and HDMI 2.0 upgrade) is necessary to use the Majik Exaktbox-I to drive the surrounds/centre/sub. Or could I just use the Oppo to do the decoding?

It is necessary to drive the Exaktbox-i in surround pass-through mode yes.