Kegworth Show Information

The information for this year's show is now live at www.thehifishow.com or by clicking on the show banner below.

NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS NOW OPEN - Special Offer....Stay Saturday, join in all the build up excitement on Sat night and then gain FREE access to the show on Sunday

ONLY 4 EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT - BIG SYSTEM SPACES SOLD OUT - ONLY 2 NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT

Thetiminator

Splitting main pre-amp output

Hi guys

I’ve only one volume controlled output from my pre which runs a pair of Transcendent 300B monoblocks via balanced cables into the RCA inputs of the amps using a XLR-RCA connector. I’m looking to add a subwoofer using the preamp outputs. Is it possible to use an XLR splitter to run a second set of XLR’s to the sub and do you foresee any probs? 

One thing - the preamp needs to be cranked up about 10db higher than other power amps I’ve used, they’re maybe hard to drive...

Preamp specs:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/boulder-1012-da-preamplifier-specifications

Power amp specs:

https://www.transcendentsound.com/pinnacle.html

Cheers

Are you running one sub or two? Just watch out for the sub's input impedance which can be 10kOhm. I have found that although on paper it should make no difference,  in my setup it made a serious and negative difference to the sound staging and tonal balance using one sub. I added a buffer to the sub to help with this and that worked. Surprised the Boulder doesn't have a second buffered output TBH. Lovely thing 😀

• Upvote 1

Hi Jazid

Yes I love it, it’ll be buried with me. I’ve tried everry dac under the sun right up to silly Billy money and none were noticeably better. The big MSB and the TotalDac were as good sound wise but neither had the analogue preamp and phono stage which I don’t use but I’ve been told it’s as good as a £10k outboard stage. 

Im just planning to run one sub, but only if I can split the output from the pre without any issues. If I can’t ill just skip the sub altogether...

Super Wammer

if its any use , i have a xlr female to 2 male xlr interconnect 1m x2  long sitting in a drawer doing nothing , probably too short though for a sub connection 

Super Wammer

Hi 

Does the sub have a Stereo or Mono input ? If it has only one input, then you will need to split the preamp output but then combine the left and right channels through a buffer or resistive splitter so that the sub gets a mono feed, but the power amp feed remains in stereo. Two subs would be easier.

Alan

• Upvote 1

Cheers HFN that’s very kind. I’ll give you a shout if that’ll do the job but I’m probably looking c.3m ish...

RH it’ll just be one sub, I only need it for the tiniest touch and I could live without it so I don’t want to get into a whole pile of money and more boxes. 

I’m having a horn sub made for me probably using something like this if the link is any help...

https://www.soundimports.eu/en/spa500dsp.html

Whatever he uses it’ll need to have stereo inputs and a bit of DSP....

Cheers

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Looking at the picture of the plate, you could feed the preamp direct to the sub and then the hf out to the poweramp. No splitter required, it would also stop your existing speakers try to compete with the sub.

Alan

Hi Alan

Thats another one of my problems...there’s no more room to connect anything else to my power amps, there’s already two runs of stupidly thick cables going to each one....and they’re 8ft apart which is also a problem. 

Does the sub have to be connected to the power amps or can I just use the XLR’s from the pre? 

Thanks for all your help....

Super Wammer

The subs would just use the xlr or rca from the pre.

I note from your details that your speakers are Revel Salon 2 .. so can you explain why you feel the need to add a bass sub or is the review in Sterephile misleading?  They said of the Revel Salon 2

Sound 
I expect good deep bass from a floorstanding, full-range loudspeaker, and the Salon2 did not disappoint. It reached down to 17Hz with no more than ±3dB variation from its output at 100Hz, with no sign of doubling (ie, no second-harmonic distortion). This was the deepest bass I've ever gotten in my listening room from a full-range floorstander. (See fig.8 in JA's "Measurements" sidebar.)

I confirmed the Salon2's deep-bass extension by listening to the low-frequency warble tones on Editor's Choice, which were clearly audible and pitch-perfect down to the 25Hz 1/3-octave band. I felt some useful output as low as 20Hz, and so did my house—the baseboard radiator panels at the other end of the room began to dance and rattle. The chromatic-scale half-step sinewaves on track 19 were reproduced cleanly and evenly, particularly the 130.8Hz note, which falls near the crossover of the Salon2's midbass and woofers.

To confirm this superb low-bass extension, I turned to music. Organ recordings were enhanced and clarified by the Salon2's deep-bass extension. The speaker's three woofers produced a solid 32Hz tone that reproduced the low pedal C that ends Herbert Howell's Master Tallis's Testament, from the Pipes Rhode Island collection (CD, Riago 101 (footnote 2)). Additionally, the Salon2 made it easier than ever before to follow bass lines. Whether it was Tal Wilkenfeld's intricate and tuneful electric-bass line on "Truth Be Told," from her Transformation (CD, Goldelux Productions TAL001-2), downloaded from iTunes and played via WiFi from my Slim Devices Squeezebox; or Jerome Harris's careful bass work weaving in and out of his quintet's performance of "The Mooche," from Rendezvous (CD, Stereophile STPH013-2), I heard none of the tendency to blur bass notes that I've heard from other speakers. The Ultima Salon2 played percussion and/or piano and/or brass with full impact while retaining complete clarity of the softer bass lines.

Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/revel-ultima-salon2-loudspeaker-page-2#7qPUSkjGV1GexUJg.99

If this review is accurate one has to question what a bass sub would add in terms of realism.  

Super Wammer

Good point Uzzy, it could also be the seating position and you might find the bass is stronger in the corner of the room, in which case a bass trap maybe useful.

No it’s not for the Salons, they definitely don’t need a sub! I have a pair of large Living Voice horns in my other system which roll off quickly from c.50hz. SpeedySteve is building me a horn loaded sub, I just need to check whether I can split the output from my pre before I give him the final go ahead....it’s a no go if I can’t run 2 sets of cables from the one vol controlled output on my pre....

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Thetiminator said:

No it’s not for the Salons, they definitely don’t need a sub! I have a pair of large Living Voice horns in my other system which roll off quickly from c.50hz. SpeedySteve is building me a horn loaded sub, I just need to check whether I can split the output from my pre before I give him the final go ahead....it’s a no go if I can’t run 2 sets of cables from the one vol controlled output on my pre....

There are all sorts of splitter cables on the market that may do the trick.  I hope you find the answer.