BillShatnersToupee

So, if you could go back in time...

Suddenly realised there's actually something on that list that my dad bought new which I still own in the loft: a Dynatron HFC101. It was a radiogram with a GL75 turntable on top. He bought it with some matching Dynatron LS4038 speakers and an Akai 1721L tape recorder, which is also on the list. Sadly both the tape recorder and the speakers were sold. The speakers were in fact made by Dynatron using Wharedale Unit 5 kits, themselves also on the list at £27.50 each (kits = drivers and x-over, no cabinets)

25 minutes ago, bencat said:

Does anyone know who made the Wharfdale Linton Turntable advertised ? I do not remember that at all .

It was a re-badged BSR MP60.

I have to say, there are a number of things I'd pack into the time machine to bring back if we're talking purely to re-sell for profit, but there's nothing I can see there that I'd desperately want now.

Edited by Beobloke

Super Wammer

I have the Akai 4000DS which was a 21st birthday present. It's sitting in a cupboard, and I keep meaning to digitize the tapes and sell it, as I won't use it again otherwise.

B&O kit from back then still looks very tasty & a Beosystem would look good & sound ok too.:^

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Beobloke said:

I have to say, there are a number of things I'd pack into the time machine to bring back if we're talking purely to re-sell for profit, but there's nothing I can see there that I'd desperately want now.

I enjoyed listening to the system you exhibited a few years back at Scalford that featured a Garrard 401.

But then I also enjoyed the system you exhibited with the big Japanese professional direct drive.

On 24/01/2019 at 09:36, jkbmusic said:

Great find by the OP. Wow!.:o That list really has taken me back in time. The system I had put together around that time was as follows, give or take*..

Turntable Garrard 401                         £39.04

SME Plinth &cover.                               £46.20

shure V15/3*                                          £39.50

Akai 4000ds. Tape R2R.                       £99.50

Wharfedale headphones                      £19.95

Beomaster 3000-2* Tuner/Amp.        £157.50

Wharfedale Dovedales                        £47.50

Total..£449.19 (about £5525 today’s prices):o

I’m surprised how little it cost then, compared to what they go for these days. Such as the Garrard 401. Now if I could only find a Tardis, so I could travel back in time, and ship a load back today. Better still, just live my life over again from 1973 :whistle:.

An arm, presumably SME, to bolt the V15 to might have been useful. 

1 hour ago, wizmax said:

An arm, presumably SME, to bolt the V15 to might have been useful. 

Correct, I missed that, SME 3009/II £36.75.:)

Edited by jkbmusic

Super Wammer
On 24/01/2019 at 12:26, BillShatnersToupee said:

Suddenly realised there's actually something on that list that my dad bought new which I still own in the loft: a Dynatron HFC101. It was a radiogram with a GL75 turntable on top. He bought it with some matching Dynatron LS4038 speakers and an Akai 1721L tape recorder, which is also on the list. Sadly both the tape recorder and the speakers were sold. The speakers were in fact made by Dynatron using Wharedale Unit 5 kits, themselves also on the list at £27.50 each (kits = drivers and x-over, no cabinets)

I remember that Dynatron. I used to look at it in Maxwells record shop in Woking during my lunch hours from school!  

• Like 1

Super Wammer
On 24/01/2019 at 12:39, Beobloke said:

I remember it now I think. It had teak side panels on the lid, didn’t it?

Maybe 10 sets of Rodgers BBC monitors, wouldnt be too hard to store. Then today Id flog 9 and keep one :)

Anyone actually still own any gear off that list they can show us some photos of?

Edited by eddie-baby

Super Wammer

If I could go back in time... first pressings :) 

On 24/01/2019 at 07:41, Nopiano said:

I always fancied those B&W with the curved electrostatic bit on top.  If the Revox amp would power it I’d be very tempted by that.  

Source, Revox tuner and records from an SME plinth with the electronic Thorens TD125, SME arm and Shure V15.  And a Watts Dust Bug to sweep the records!

Ah, the B&W DM70's yes I'd get those to replace the ones I chucked in a skip about 30 years ago because I couldn't afford to get them repaired and apparently they were "clutter":(

• Sad 1

I'd be too young to buy anything off that list in '73 but if I could it would be big speakers, so Tannoy & Celestion's...

However, I wish I'd listened to my Mum a couple of years later when she told me to turn down the volume as the multi stack I listened to Slade through headphones was blasting Nuclear. I wouldn't probably have hearing all fubar'd...

:dunno:

18 hours ago, Nopiano said:

I remember that Dynatron. I used to look at it in Maxwells record shop in Woking during my lunch hours from school!  

:-) It cost him about £400 all-in for the HFC101, the LS4038 speakers and the Akai 1721L. I haven't checked but I bet that's about five grand in today's money. Scary. 

Edited by BillShatnersToupee
I quoted the wrong quote