Kegworth Show Information

The information for this year's show is now live at www.thehifishow.com or by clicking on the show banner below.

NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS NOW OPEN - Special Offer....Stay Saturday, join in all the build up excitement on Sat night and then gain FREE access to the show on Sunday

ONLY 4 EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT - BIG SYSTEM SPACES SOLD OUT - ONLY 2 NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT

BillShatnersToupee

So, if you could go back in time...

...what would you buy from this lot? Advert from 'Gramophone' April 1973:

1810204338_Gramophone0473.thumb.jpg.e984a5958266ba60b333354120ed7640.jpg

What fascinates me is how the prices of some things have skyrocketed disproportionately, presumably due to collectors, while others haven't. For example a Garrard 401 was less than £40, quite bit cheaper than a TD160 or GL75. Fair enough the £40 would have only bought you the chassis not a plinth and arm...but still, common sold-price on eBay is £600+ these days, even without plinth or arm, way more than a GL75 or TD160.

I also wonder how many people bought a Leak Delta turntable for £69.50, which was a badge-engineered GL75 in a custom plinth, considering that a GL75 with plinth and cover was £56.85. The £12.65 difference was probably half a week's wage in '73.

Edited by BillShatnersToupee

Definitely Garrard SP25 MKIII with the Shure M55E, Wharfedale Denton. There are no amps I really fancy on the list, so I would buy Pioneer SA 706 from elsewhere. 

Owned the Garrard SP25 MKV with the Shure (and a Goldring G800) and Wharfedale Linton. I'm a creature of habit.

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Sansui AU 666 amp, Thorens 125, with a shure V15, and a pair Celestion Ditton 66.

• Like 3

Had the offer of a pair of EAR 509s for £350 in 1979 ish - the money I could make now selling these lol.

Also all the Garrard 401s you could have bought for about £50 in the late 70s and the price they fetch now.

Easy with hindsight innit ..

• Like 1

Yes, i’d travel  back with a few 1973 banknotes bought from a present-day numismatist and - equipped with all the necessary 1973 horse race results - hit the bookies with some very lucrative bets! 

After buying some Intel shares (they went public in 1971) i’d fill the time machine with Tannoy 15” dual concentrics at £43 each. The current prices for these are thousands especially MNIB.

• Haha 1

I always fancied those B&W with the curved electrostatic bit on top.  If the Revox amp would power it I’d be very tempted by that.  

Source, Revox tuner and records from an SME plinth with the electronic Thorens TD125, SME arm and Shure V15.  And a Watts Dust Bug to sweep the records!

• Like 1

From that list, I'd be happy with a Garrard 401, Akai AA8500, Goodmans Magisters, Quad Electrostatics, Decca Mk5.

From kit that was selling new in 1973, I own an EMT 930 and a pair of EV Sentry III's, both of which I'd take over any kit on that advert, as long as I wasn't paying the new price for the EMT.

And yes, it is fair to say that the price of new hi-fi has generally risen by more than the rate of inflation.

To adjust for inflation, multiply the prices in that advert by 12.3 to get to today's equivalent prices.

• Like 1

Great find by the OP. Wow!.:o That list really has taken me back in time. The system I had put together around that time was as follows, give or take*..

Turntable Garrard 401                         £39.04

SME Plinth &cover.                               £46.20

shure V15/3*                                          £39.50

Akai 4000ds. Tape R2R.                       £99.50

Wharfedale headphones                      £19.95

Beomaster 3000-2* Tuner/Amp.        £157.50

Wharfedale Dovedales                        £47.50

Total..£449.19 (about £5525 today’s prices):o

I’m surprised how little it cost then, compared to what they go for these days. Such as the Garrard 401. Now if I could only find a Tardis, so I could travel back in time, and ship a load back today. Better still, just live my life over again from 1973 :whistle:.

Edited by jkbmusic
Today’s price
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jkbmusic said:

Akai 4000ds. Tape R2R.                       £99.50

Just bought one :) , £350  :(

Actually it was a revised model but very close , Akai GX4000D

Edited by Bazzer

4 minutes ago, Bazzer said:

Just bought one :) , £350  :(

Actually it was a revised model but very close , Akai GX4000D

Of all the items on my list, that was the one item I thought it appeared overpriced compared to the rest of the system.

I did buy a Rogers Ravensbourne amp. Think I had a Garrard SP25 and Wharfedale Denton speakers as well, both were upgraded within about 1 year. Money was tight then as only 15 years old. What would be equivalent speakers to the Dovedales?

So gone up about x10, beer has gone far more, think I paid 12p a pint in 1974, now it over £4. 

Edited by BeeRay

Super Wammer

Pair of Tannoy 12" Dual Concentric Drivers Please . Does anyone know who made the Wharfdale Linton Turntable advertised ? I do not remember that at all .