alphatoner

Goldring 1042 Vs 2500

37 minutes ago, Colinjg said:

Could you do a review of the ML please.

Happy to once it's here and been running a while

26 minutes ago, triumph said:

Goldring 2500 have you  tried a Nagoaka  as they supply the ,2500 generator/gubbins  & golding re-body

MP300/500 are  lovely sounding cartridges used them for years & went for another MI wood grado reference

Yes I have and no plans to try another one.

16 minutes ago, Sotosound said:

To reply as Alphatoner has indicated, then, “No.” :) 

Nuff said. 

:D

20 hours ago, Beobloke said:

I’ve had extensive experience of the 1042 and own a 2500 and I would say they’re.....different!

I love the 1042 and always have done and it’s a very amenable cartridge that seems to give of its best in many arms. The 2500, however, is easy to get sounding ‘nice’ but needs the right arm to really sing - I’ve had best results in a Jelco SA-750D, personally.

Ultimately when you get it right, I think it just has the edge on the 1042 but if you have the 1042 and are looking for a big step up, I’m not sure the 2500 is really it. The Ortofon 2M Black, on the other hand...

That's interesting, I echo all the thoughts on the 1042, It's amazing value for money IMO. I've heard the 2m Black, it was good but not great, but it was in someone else's system.

Hello, I actually have both and whilst the 1042 is always on a turntable the 2500 has never spent more than a few hours at a time in use. It seems to have that very modern digital sound to it and is most unlike the 1042. It is much easier to fit and align than the 1042 but to me nowhere near as satisfying.

• Upvote 2

By the sounds of it the 1042 seems like a ruddy good cartridge. Perhaps I might try one later this year... still love the 2500 with the Pro-ject though.

I have a 2500 on a Transcriptors Hydraulic Reference and the AN IQ2 on a Gyrodec.

I would say the best Moving Magnet ever made by Goldring is the up-specced IQ series for AudioNote. I prefer them to the Ortofon 2M Black.

Love the 1042... also had it on a Rega RB300 and definitely a cartridge of choice.. it took at the time, a Dynavector Dv20x to oust it.

Well, I managed to pick up a hopefully good condition 2500 for a decent price so I will be able to do a comparrison. If it doesn't stand muster I can just move it on without hopefully losing too much.

The Audio Note IQ range of moving magnet cartridges feature a rigid yet lightweight body made from Pocon, which is equipped with integral threaded inserts for easy installation in the tonearm head-shell. The Goldring 1000 series don't have integral threads. Goldring do make the IQ range for Audio Note, the internal coils in the IQ cartridge are made from extremely fine copper wire (thinner than the Goldring version), and the Audio Note cantilever is formed from a specific grade of hardened aluminium tube. The suspension is more stiff than the 1000 series and than is usually seen in Moving Magnet cartridges. (The cantilever on the IQ3 stylus has been said to me to be titanium, but I haven't had that confirmed by Audio Note yet.)

The stylus section is the main difference between the three models, the IQ-1 has a Gyger Type II stylus tip, the IQ-2 uses a Gyger 1 diamond, while the IQ-3 uses a Gyper 1 diamond. The complete stylus assembly is removable, making replacement or upgrade a very simple and cost effective process. In fact, all of the IQ stylus assemblies are interchangeable, meaning that you could start with an IQ-1, and eventually replace the stylus assembly with the vastly superior version used in the IQ-3.

The Goldring 2000 series are Moving Iron type carts that will get close to the performance of the IQ range, they have more air and space in the sound than the Audio Note range, but the Audio Note's have a more dynamic, powerful sound.

The 1000 series carts are excellent for the money, I have a 1022 at home (I prefer the punchier bass on the 1022 to the 1042) and I'll be upgrading to a IQ3 when funds allow/stylus calamity dictates.

The Audio Note Stylus will fit a Goldring 1000 series cart, but the full benefits can only be enjoyed with the AN cart as it has the finer copper windings. I hope this helps.

IQ1 Cartridge RRP £380.50
Stylus RRP £240.93
IQ2 Cartridge RRP £540.00
Stylus RRP £332.30
IQ3 Cartridge RRP £789.23
Stylus RRP £581.53

TL:DR The 2000 series is worth it over the 1000 series especially for small scale productions, budget permitting head up to the Audio Note UK range though. 

G

Edit: coil to magnet. Thanks nopiano, I took most of my comment from what I was writing for our audio note page on our website update so pointing out my was a big help! Cheers

Edited by Gary FineTune
Edit: coil to magnet. Thanks nopiano, I took most of my comment from what I was writing for our audio note page on our website update so pointing out my was a big help! Cheers
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer

GFT, did you mean to say ‘moving magnet’ for the IQ range?  They’re surely not MCs?

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Nopiano said:

GFT, did you mean to say ‘moving magnet’ for the IQ range?  They’re surely not MCs?

Yes indeed. G

Super Wammer

Types of Cartridge:

Moving Magnet

Moving Iron (same level of output as an MM. Soundsmith do these as did B&O)

Moving Coil

Ceramic (cough)

Strain Gauge (only Soundsmith do these as far as I know)

Optical (in development for archiving rare damaged recordings)

others there may be, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.