Kegworth Show Information

The information for this year's show is now live at www.thehifishow.com or by clicking on the show banner below.

NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS NOW OPEN - Special Offer....Stay Saturday, join in all the build up excitement on Sat night and then gain FREE access to the show on Sunday

ONLY 4 EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT - BIG SYSTEM SPACES SOLD OUT - ONLY 2 NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT

alphatoner

Goldring 1042 Vs 2500

Hi all,

I currently have a 1042 and am wondering if the 2500 would give any improvement. Does anyone have any direct experience comparing these two?

I'm not interested in an MC cart (I have two already) nor any other MM, I've tried loads in the past and am happy with the 1042. So I'm ONLY interested in a comparison with the 2500. 

If nobody had any direct experience I may just buy one on spec and return id I don't hear a good difference.

Thanks in advance

Ian

No idea about the 1042. Almost purchased one and decided to spend the extra on the 2500. It really is a very, very good cart.

I've had the 1042 and thats a fabulous cartridge. It would be an astonishing feat if the 2500 could equal it in VFM.
Interested to hear more...

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Super Wammer
18 minutes ago, Jazid said:

I've had the 1042 and thats a fabulous cartridge. It would be an astonishing feat if the 2500 could equal it in VFM.
Interested to hear more...

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Likewise.

I’ve had extensive experience of the 1042 and own a 2500 and I would say they’re.....different!

I love the 1042 and always have done and it’s a very amenable cartridge that seems to give of its best in many arms. The 2500, however, is easy to get sounding ‘nice’ but needs the right arm to really sing - I’ve had best results in a Jelco SA-750D, personally.

Ultimately when you get it right, I think it just has the edge on the 1042 but if you have the 1042 and are looking for a big step up, I’m not sure the 2500 is really it. The Ortofon 2M Black, on the other hand...

The first thing to consider is - do you dislike the sound you are getting and what do you feel is missing or is "wrong" with your current arm and 1042 that you need to upgrade?

I have a hunch that the only difference in the 2500 is the stylus is reduced to 4microns from 6 in the 1042,  ..it also says the 2500 can trace quadraphonic records which indicates that the profile is a shibita.

Now one of the best cartridges I ever heard was the Audio Note Japan moving coil (which had an eliptical stylus) so I guess the only way you will ever know which of these sounds best to you is to try them and make your own judgement.  

Advice give above that if you are looking for a step up then the 2500 is probably not it is a logical conclusion .. (of course your ears must be the judge).  The thing is you need to then assess what represents a major step up and what sounds best to you.   The Ortofon 2m Black is mentioned above but I think to be satisfied with your final choice you ought to audition the Hana Moving coils (I know you said you were not interested in Moving Coils but they do a high output one if you do not have a moving coil input or head amp).   

You do not state what arm you are using and this will have an affect on your choice.  If you tell us the arm (and if the deck is still the Gyro) then wammers with your turntable and arm will be able to relate their experiences to you which may be helpful.

Most important is to get your ears around them before making your decision (even better if you can get a home demo).

Have you considered trying out the Audio Note IQ2 or IQ3?

I see that you're not that far from Aylesbury, where my local dealer, Deco Audio is located. They just happen to sell these two cartridges along with the Goldring 1000 and 2000 series. :)

Might be worth checking out their website. They describe each but have very little to say about the 2000 series other than a flat description. (You could ring them up and ask them why that is.)

I enjoy the 1042 (I'm on my second one) but if I ever chose to upgrade I'd probably look at the two AN cartridges rather than the Goldring 2500.

Shocked to say that I've never knowingly heard a Goldring cart! :$

Note to self - get to the next 'Wam show and search out someone with a Goldring!

My very first system back in the 70s had a Goldring G850 cartridge. That was one bright sounding b*gger and a far cry from the superb 1000 series.

5 hours ago, Sotosound said:

Have you considered trying out the Audio Note IQ2 or IQ3?

I see that you're not that far from Aylesbury, where my local dealer, Deco Audio is located. They just happen to sell these two cartridges along with the Goldring 1000 and 2000 series. :)

Might be worth checking out their website. They describe each but have very little to say about the 2000 series other than a flat description. (You could ring them up and ask them why that is.)

I enjoy the 1042 (I'm on my second one) but if I ever chose to upgrade I'd probably look at the two AN cartridges rather than the Goldring 2500.

Will the AN stylus fit the body? I cannot believe that there is owt different between the two bodies and it is the stylus end that is different (but I could be wrong)

I know that both ANs are made by Goldring but where the technical differences lie is unknown to me.

16 hours ago, uzzy said:

The first thing to consider is - do you dislike the sound you are getting and what do you feel is missing or is "wrong" with your current arm and 1042 that you need to upgrade?

I have a hunch that the only difference in the 2500 is the stylus is reduced to 4microns from 6 in the 1042,  ..it also says the 2500 can trace quadraphonic records which indicates that the profile is a shibita.

Now one of the best cartridges I ever heard was the Audio Note Japan moving coil (which had an eliptical stylus) so I guess the only way you will ever know which of these sounds best to you is to try them and make your own judgement.  

Advice give above that if you are looking for a step up then the 2500 is probably not it is a logical conclusion .. (of course your ears must be the judge).  The thing is you need to then assess what represents a major step up and what sounds best to you.   The Ortofon 2m Black is mentioned above but I think to be satisfied with your final choice you ought to audition the Hana Moving coils (I know you said you were not interested in Moving Coils but they do a high output one if you do not have a moving coil input or head amp).   

You do not state what arm you are using and this will have an affect on your choice.  If you tell us the arm (and if the deck is still the Gyro) then wammers with your turntable and arm will be able to relate their experiences to you which may be helpful.

Most important is to get your ears around them before making your decision (even better if you can get a home demo).

Thanks for the input, but

I already have a Hana SL and have just pulled the trigger on the new £1k ML, to be clear the possible change to 2500 is NOT to find my dream cartridge. I just want a good all-round MM for everyday use that won't break the bank and also won't break my heart if I trash it. I'm most definitely NOT interested in lengthy searches or home demo's to find one that beats the 1042. Yes of course there are plenty that will beat it, but I don't care to do the searching. This is no big deal I just wanted to know if anyone had ever heard both and had an opinion. So as I said in the original post I'm simply not interested in looking at other options

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, alphatoner said:

Thanks for the input, but

I already have a Hana SL and have just pulled the trigger on the new £1k ML, to be clear the possible change to 2500 is NOT to find my dream cartridge. I just want a good all-round MM for everyday use that won't break the bank and also won't break my heart if I trash it. I'm most definitely NOT interested in lengthy searches or home demo's to find one that beats the 1042. Yes of course there are plenty that will beat it, but I don't care to do the searching. This is no big deal I just wanted to know if anyone had ever heard both and had an opinion. So as I said in the original post I'm simply not interested in looking at other options

Could you do a review of the ML please.

Goldring 2500 have you  tried a Nagoaka  as they supply the ,2500 generator/gubbins  & golding re-body

MP300/500 are  lovely sounding cartridges used them for years & went for another MI wood grado reference

To reply as Alphatoner has indicated, then, “No.” :) 

Nuff said.