jas0_0

Proac 1SC - dead tweeter or crossover problem?

Hi all, 

Can anyone help?  I’m getting no sound at all from one tweeter of my Proac 1 SCs.  The mid/bass driver works normally.  Is there a way to tell if this is a blown tweeter or a crossover problem?  

If it’s the tweeter, can I just replace with a new scanspeak, and is this right one?

https://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/scanspeak-d2010-851300-tweeter-classic-range.html

Many thanks,

J

Super Wammer

You can test the tweeter by connecting a 9v battery to its terminals, if it is ok it will emit a noise, no noise, it is blown. You can also test with a multimeter.

Have you been playing music excessively loudly, it is usually caused by the amp clipping. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, greybeard said:

You can test the tweeter by connecting a 9v battery to its terminals, if it is ok it will emit a noise, no noise, it is blown. You can also test with a multimeter.

Have you been playing music excessively loudly, it is usually caused by the amp clipping. 

Great, thanks greybeard, i'll give that a go.  

I may have turned the volume up a bit on Saturday while my girlfriend was out... though nothing too crazy.  I guess the speakers are also quite old now too.  Will be more careful in future!

If it is the tweeter that's gone, do you happen to know if the Scanspeak in my link above will be a drop-in replacement?

• Like 1

Give Proac a call, they are normally helpful with parts etc.

• Upvote 1

The proac ones are slightly different.  Not sure if you would hear any difference apart from considerable cost. They are a soldering job to change.

The other (sorry) point is that if you're going to replace it with the one shown, then you ought to replace both, assuming they are slightly different.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Thanks everyone for your help.  I reckon I’ll go for the Proac tweeter in that case, as even if I can’t actaully hear a difference, it will probably niggle me...  

• Upvote 1

I had one of those die once on my Spendors. Apparently it's the ferrofluid.

I'd get a new pair of the ScanSpeaks, measure the impedance and compare with the old one which is still working. If there's a considerable mismatch you may need to add a resistor because they are already too "bright" in the original speakers.

Having changed the tweeters in my Tabletts last year, the other tweeter was so far out of spec (20+ years old) that changing both to current of the shelf items would reap large improvements.  The ProAc units run extra doping IIRC and are still available from ProAc.

On ‎22‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 15:40, rabski said:

The other (sorry) point is that if you're going to replace it with the one shown, then you ought to replace both, assuming they are slightly different.

This.... that said l have always found ProAc helpful good luck.:)

Please don't use the one you have linked to, yes its the same tweeter but the sound is different to the ones made for Proac they are modified. I did that and soon changed to the ones supplied by Proac. The ones you have linked to killed the sound in my Response 2.5. Pay the premium you wont regret it. The mid bass in the 2.5's are also modified. Talk to Proac they will explain the mods to you.  

Edited by mountain biker
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, mountain biker said:

Please don't use the one you have linked to, yes its the same tweeter but the sound is different to the ones made for Proac they are modified. I did that and soon changed to the ones supplied by Proac. The ones you have linked to killed the sound in my Response 2.5. Pay the premium you wont regret it. The mid bass in the 2.5's are also modified. Talk to Proac they will explain the mods to you.  

Thanks @mountain biker, I did @greybeard’s 9v battery trick and got no sound (checked with the other tweeter too as I wasn’t sure I was doing it right) so will be putting in a call to Proac tomorrow.  

Edited by jas0_0
  • Upvote 3

Hi all, thanks to your advice I am now back up and running with two working speakers.  My soldering skills are a little basic, so I opted for a whole new Proac tweeter rather than trying to repair the existing one.  Great customer service from Proac - arrived next day.  Now wired in and system sounding superb again. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2