The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

Southeast

Help on renewal of turntable platter.

Super Wammer

I have a Rotel rb830 turntable with a metal type platter. It is not that shinny anymore and was wondering how I can get it looking like new again. I have looked on eBay and Amazon but have no idea the type of paint or spray i need or the process. I did look for any sellers of platters that are ok to use with my turntable but I can not find any. Would really appreciate any guidance. :)

I have used Autosol metal polish on an Ariston RD40 and it came up a treat. Beware though that this method may make things worse with some alloys/metals (early Linn LP12 LINK: https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/6182-refinishing-a-linn-lp12-platter/ and http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-clean-lp-12-platter.121903/ )

It would be good to see a before and after shot. Good luck.

Edited by Faithless
added 2nd hyperlink

Super Wammer

Thanks mate, yes will do some before and after pictures, I am also doing a wood veneer job on it too.

• Like 1

Jason, I can second the Autosol.  They make at least two types; one is Aluminium and that works a treat.  The other is just for 'metal' and that works a treat too.  They are not especially expensive IIRC.  You may be familiar with the Technics 1200 series turntables and the platter side has dots to be read by a strobe.  I had a particularly shabby looking platter so I used an abrasive brush and acetone to strip off the paint.  Then I polished it with autosol and it now looks really good.

• Haha 1

Super Wammer
13 hours ago, Andrei said:

Jason, I can second the Autosol.  They make at least two types; one is Aluminium and that works a treat.  The other is just for 'metal' and that works a treat too.  They are not especially expensive IIRC.  You may be familiar with the Technics 1200 series turntables and the platter side has dots to be read by a strobe.  I had a particularly shabby looking platter so I used an abrasive brush and acetone to strip off the paint.  Then I polished it with autosol and it now looks really good.

Thanks for that. Looking forward to trying it.

Can we see your T/T when finished?:)

very fine sanding and then t cut, worked on my Kuzma