The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

plasticpenguin

What would you ditch...

2 minutes ago, uzzy said:

Lurch wigwam info  .. but you were probably referring to Timbo though who had already decided he needed to change his loudspeakers.  That is how I guess things get all jumbled up when we do not quote who we are replying to which means we are all talking bollox to the wrong people :rofl:

I am discombobulated... o.O

2 minutes ago, tuga said:

I am discombobulated... o.O

aren't we all - as we have no idea who you are replying to in "change the loudspeakers" and can only guess .. but it does make it all kinda fun at times 

3 minutes ago, uzzy said:

aren't we all - as we have no idea who you are replying to in "change the loudspeakers" and can only guess .. but it does make it all kinda fun at times 

Timbo said in regards to PlasticPenguin's system

1 hour ago, Timbo21 said:

Ideally I would want to be going floor standers in the price range of the Tucana. I find the scale of floor standers so much more satisfying, but obviously may not be possible.

I agree(d) with this, although I'd replace floorstanders with large speakers, preferably with largish woofers.

Then you brought up the Pioneers...

12 minutes ago, uzzy said:

Lurch wigwam info  .. but you were probably referring to Timbo though who had already decided he needed to change his loudspeakers.  That is how I guess things get all jumbled up when we do not quote who we are replying to which means we are all talking bollox to the wrong people :rofl:

The rest of us were trying to refer to the OP, but carry on. I must say this takes thread drift to a whole new level.

In that vein, I'd suggest increasing the tyre pressures.

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, tuga said:

Nothing, really?

I understand your lack of enthusiasm for trying new stuff but if you buy used it is possible to sell without much loss.

I don't know the Leema but specs suggest geeting bigger speakers would probably be a good idea. But the easiest option is to try a new digital source, perhaps a DAC (if this is the support you listen to the most).

In isolation, no. I haven't used 4k (figure just plucked) sources or speakers to see if it is seriously lacking or not.

I've tried the Arcam Dac and it's alright - it improves on the CD73 alone, but still not at the level of the TT.

7 minutes ago, plasticpenguin said:

In isolation, no. I haven't used 4k (figure just plucked) sources or speakers to see if it is seriously lacking or not.

I've tried the Arcam Dac and it's alright - it improves on the CD73 alone, but still not at the level of the TT.

In what way isn't the Digital source to the level of the record playing system?

Maybe that could be a starting point for choosing a DAC, although I think that new speakers would probably bring more significant improvements. But if you've followed @ChemMan 's speaker saga you'll know how painful it can be...

Edited by tuga

16 minutes ago, tuga said:

Timbo said in regards to PlasticPenguin's system

I agree(d) with this, although I'd replace floorstanders with large speakers, preferably with largish woofers.

Then you brought up the Pioneers...

aye I realise this now - but as the guy had reached the right conclusion I thought you had to be referring to someone else :D   

Are we heading towards...

...looking forward to another 40 odd pages in this thread!xD

• Haha 1

Going back to the original post I am not sure what I would do but I certainly know what I would not do. Keep your beautiful Tucana II, you will regret it for the rest of your life if you ditch that.

I bought a brand new Antilla for well under 2k so it can be done if you are lucky. Mine was in a sale. Even that superb bit of kit can be improved by running it's coax output into a really good DAC which suggests a DAC would be a viable move to consider. However I would first vote for better speakers by looking at upmarket 2nd hand/exdemo ones if you can face using the required petrol/shoeleather. Childrens exams don't last for ever, they will soon be off to Uni or whatever then you can get back into enjoying your hifi properly again.

Keep your Tucana!

12 minutes ago, Bit Perfect said:

Going back to the original post I am not sure what I would do but I certainly know what I would not do. Keep your beautiful Tucana II, you will regret it for the rest of your life if you ditch that.

I bought a brand new Antilla for well under 2k so it can be done if you are lucky. Mine was in a sale. Even that superb bit of kit can be improved by running it's coax output into a really good DAC which suggests a DAC would be a viable move to consider. However I would first vote for better speakers by looking at upmarket 2nd hand/exdemo ones if you can face using the required petrol/shoeleather. Childrens exams don't last for ever, they will soon be off to Uni or whatever then you can get back into enjoying your hifi properly again.

Keep your Tucana!

I'm reluctant to part with the Tucana - hi-fi isn't be all it used to be with me. I still love it but I'm more nonchalant.

At the mo my digital sources comprise of a Arcam CD73 and a Panny Blu-ray The Arcam is starting to play up (reading disks). Sometimes it works other times it holds the red flag up.

I know my daughter's mocks won't last: In fact they have finished until May, but it still means I can't play music late at night - the only real time I can with the family wanting to watch TV, play films etc etc.

I quite fancy the new Pulse - assuming it's still being made..

Richard, I'd suggest looking at source first of all. Go to extremes with what you can borrow/home dem looking at all aspects of presentation. Try an older CD player like Philips with their famous TDA chips if you can get one and perhaps a new Chord or Naim DAC. If changes you're experiencing are not significant enough for you then and only then I'd look at speakers. Whatever you do don't get rid of Tucana. It's a special amp. 

Edited by insider9

49 minutes ago, insider9 said:

Richard, I'd suggest looking at source first of all. Go to extremes with what you can borrow/home dem looking at all aspects of presentation. Try an older CD player like Philips with their famous TDA chips if you can get one and perhaps a new Chord or Naim DAC. If changes you're experiencing are not significant enough for you then and only then I'd look at speakers. Whatever you do don't get rid of Tucana. It's a special amp. 

Really old CDPs give me the willies. They are an accident waiting to happen - lasers and transports do go t#ts up.

Better digital sources seems to be the most logical direction.

With my new business venture coming closer, the money I could get for the Tucana would be appropriate.

Cheers.  

2 hours ago, tuga said:

In what way isn't the Digital source to the level of the record playing system?

Maybe that could be a starting point for choosing a DAC, although I think that new speakers would probably bring more significant improvements. But if you've followed @ChemMan 's speaker saga you'll know how painful it can be...

Vinyl sounds more 3D - more realistic, whereas the digital stuff sounds - relatively speaking - flat and less involving..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, plasticpenguin said:

Vinyl sounds more 3D - more realistic, whereas the digital stuff sounds - relatively speaking - flat and less involving..

@Blackmetalboon was right. :P

51 minutes ago, tuga said:

@Blackmetalboon was right. :P

No, not rich sound... I've never associated vinyl with a rich presentation. Slightly smoother perhaps....