Kegworth Show Information

The information for this year's show is now live at www.thehifishow.com or by clicking on the show banner below.

NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS NOW OPEN - Special Offer....Stay Saturday, join in all the build up excitement on Sat night and then gain FREE access to the show on Sunday

LAST MINUTE WAM HIFI SHOW AVAILABILITY - ONLY A FEW EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 5 SLEEP ONLY ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 3 BIG SYSTEM SPACES LEFT

plasticpenguin

What would you ditch...

Richard it sounds like your Arcam is heading for the great scrapheap in the sky so you will need some sort of digital source replacement and that looks like the logical priority.The rest could realistically go on the back burner until your daughter has finished her exams (not just the mocks) which is not really that long in the overall scheme of things. In the meantime you could buy some headphones for late night listening. Personally I do not like headphones but as an interim measure it would be better than nothing.

As far as the Tucana goes I suspect you would not make that much profit by downgrading and you would limit future options for very little financial advantage.

I recently exchanged my Tucana II against a more expensive amp and got about 2.5k for it (which is more than I paid new for it). The new amp is better but what strikes me is just how much you have to spend to better the Tucana, you would be losing a lot.

IMHO, I've always felt it was harder to get a good sound out of vinyl, so I would be spending my big bucks there.

Unless you're really strapped for cash I wouldn't have thought selling your amp would be VfM, unless you would be totally confident in a much cheaper item. Sounds like (excuse the pun!) it means a lot to you so would you struggle to find something else with which you can gel?

Not strapped for cash, but could free up some money. If I sold the Tucana still have the old Pulse, which works perfectly and sounds really good for the money. Alternative option open to me.

On 21/01/2019 at 19:53, plasticpenguin said:

What would you do?

Speakers, always speakers.  If you read any of my nonsense back in the summer and early fall, it is beyond clear to me that speakers make the most difference. Then the amp and then the source.  At least in all of my testing. others will surely disagree, but unless you are talking about getting rid of the Leema and going to magic valves,(and your are not) I don't think you can get a bigger jump in sound than speakers.  Your PMCs are standmounters, when I swapped my LS50s for the floorstanding selection it was night and day.  I really like my LS50s but they simply are not in the same conversation as the Spendor or the ATC, ProAc etc.  Those guys had greater scale, impact, soundstage, air and blah blah.  I'm not trying to be cavalier about it either.  If I was living in the UK and had access to your used equipment market, I'd be having the bloody time of my life.  You can get fabulous second hand speakers for 2, 2.5k.  LIve it up!  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, plasticpenguin said:

Vinyl sounds more 3D - more realistic, whereas the digital stuff sounds - relatively speaking - flat and less involving..

Are we comparing “apples to apples” here? Could it be different mastering of the music that is the problem?

Have you heard any digital sources that compare to your vinyl set-up?

IMO if you are not using your system as much as you were and not pushing it to it's potential then you need to ask yourself is it worth it? I had the Tucana 2 for a couple of years and ended up with the same dilemma you are facing, i decided to reign it in a bit, i was never going to use my amp to its full potential in my 17x15 room and hardly ever had the volume past 10 o clock, my dealer was a great help and guided me towards my current system. 

I love this place. So far, we've suggested changing the DAC, transport, amp, speakers and vinyl front end (the one bit the OP is perfectly happy with).

Obviously, the next suggestion is to put it all in a different room. Better yet, why not move house. Or see if you can upgrade your daughter to one who's finished all her exams.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, rabski said:

I love this place. So far, we've suggested changing the DAC, transport, amp, speakers and vinyl front end (the one bit the OP is perfectly happy with).

Obviously, the next suggestion is to put it all in a different room. Better yet, why not move house. Or see if you can upgrade your daughter to one who's finished all her exams.

Has nobody suggested room correction yet ...? :pop:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tony_J said:

You are a very bad man.

• Haha 3

58 minutes ago, Tony_J said:

Nope. Can you buy a room correction pen, such as Roompex?

57 minutes ago, Blackmetalboon said:

Sell it all and buy a motorbike.

I struggle with a pushbike.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tony_J said:

I think acoustic panels first. Some 40cm x 40cm x 1.8m soffits in each corner. Booyah!

2 hours ago, rabski said:

Cables, anyone? 

:Tumble:

I think you need to sort out the rest of your life first, and work out why you're so obsessed with hi fi and can't make your mind up. Most people are happy with basic systems.

Hang on, I think i'm talking about me. The search for hi fi treasure...

• Haha 2