Kegworth Show Information

The information for this year's show is now live at www.thehifishow.com or by clicking on the show banner below.

NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS NOW OPEN - Special Offer....Stay Saturday, join in all the build up excitement on Sat night and then gain FREE access to the show on Sunday

ONLY 4 EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT - BIG SYSTEM SPACES SOLD OUT - ONLY 2 NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT

plasticpenguin

What would you ditch...

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, rabski said:

More info from PP would help here. The 'what do you think could be better' and things like room size...

Exactly.

14 minutes ago, rabski said:

I've yet to hear a pair that do what I like. That's just me. I don't find them to image well or do the 'disappearing' trick. Quite possibly I've not heard them at their best.

Are they any good at music, though?

Anyways, if OP can't say what is wrong...then no-one else can. He only has to please himself. His room, his ears.

He should borrow some kit off his dealer(s), visit nearby Wammers, get to a bake-off if possible. Find out what is possible. Try some vintage gear, too, if he is up for that. Talk to people about what is the best value. Take his time. Try lots of options. Educate himself...

Edited by savvypaul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, tuga said:

I've been looking at the system and I would also change the speakers.

They may not be the weakest link but the system's performance is being limited by the speakers' topology.

I am not so sure - I think you need to identify what exactly is the shortcomings you feel need sorting.  I do not disagree the speakers do not exploit the system fully but it is what the owner thinks.  I would take your time and try and visit some local wammers and bake offs etc. to see if a sound really floats your boat and then at least have an idea in mind of what to do to achieve your nirvana.

I say this as the original posting mentioned nothing about analogue sound (and I see you have a turntable) .. so go get your ears working on other peoples systems with your favourite music and see what develops.  It might be just the speakers but it may also be your cd player and trying some stand alone DACs (if you have a digital out) might be beneficial as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would follow Lurch's suggestion. 

If you are not happy with the overall sound then changing the speakers will probably make the biggest difference. Only heard PMCs once and their were not to my taste.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
12 minutes ago, savvypaul said:

Are they any good at music, though?

Beyond any sensible definition, as that's a personal opinion. I can't relax and listen to anything unless there is a convincing sense of image, but that's me. Others seemingly aren't bothered, which doesn't make any of us right or wrong, it's simply what matters to each of us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, rabski said:

Beyond any sensible definition, as that's a personal opinion. I can't relax and listen to anything unless there is a convincing sense of image, but that's me. Others seemingly aren't bothered, which doesn't make any of us right or wrong, it's simply what matters to each of us.

Exactly.

He can only find out for himself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tuga said:

What in the sound do you think needs improvement?

In isolation, nothing really. As I previously stated am I utilising the most from the Leema? Without covering foot-sore miles backwards and forwards to dealers, there's no real way of telling. And I just don't have the time - and - the enthusiasm for it either. 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, uzzy said:

I am not so sure - I think you need to identify what exactly is the shortcomings you feel need sorting.  I do not disagree the speakers do not exploit the system fully but it is what the owner thinks.  I would take your time and try and visit some local wammers and bake offs etc. to see if a sound really floats your boat and then at least have an idea in mind of what to do to achieve your nirvana.

I say this as the original posting mentioned nothing about analogue sound (and I see you have a turntable) .. so go get your ears working on other peoples systems with your favourite music and see what develops.  It might be just the speakers but it may also be your cd player and trying some stand alone DACs (if you have a digital out) might be beneficial as well.

If I was presented with the OP's system I'd start with the speakers. This wasn't a reply to @plasticpenguin who hasn't yet commented on the problems he identifies in his system, but I was instead agreeing with @Timbo. It's what I would do.

The system I use as reference resides in a 14m2 room and the speakers are a pair of 801Fs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Room size is 17' x 12', but have to have the speakers firing across the narrow side. Compact floorstanders would be okay like Totem Arros. The living room is carpeted with curtains, soft furnishings and wallpaper.

Music: All genres but my go-to music is more soulful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, tuga said:

If I was presented with the OP's system I'd start with the speakers. This wasn't a reply to @plasticpenguin who hasn't yet commented on the problems he identifies in his system, but I was instead agreeing with @Timbo. It's what I would do.

The system I use as reference resides in a 14m2 room and the speakers are a pair of 801Fs.

Aye i thought that might be the case - and again I am not so sure - it says he has a Pioneer A400x which generally is far less well regarded than the original A400 and having got an A400 myself I find it fine for the conservatory (and the one also in my daughter's bedroom system), if it was me I think I would look to change the Pioneer to something better with a longer term view of changing the loudspeakers - but ya pays your money and makes ya choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, plasticpenguin said:

Room size is 17' x 12', but have to have the speakers firing across the narrow side. Compact floorstanders would be okay like Totem Arros. The living room is carpeted with curtains, soft furnishings and wallpaper.

Music: All genres but my go-to music is more soulful.

Have you heard a wider baffle speaker with a 12" or 15" driver?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, plasticpenguin said:

Room size is 17' x 12', but have to have the speakers firing across the narrow side. Compact floorstanders would be okay like Totem Arros. The living room is carpeted with curtains, soft furnishings and wallpaper.

Music: All genres but my go-to music is more soulful.

Some of the Proac floor standers (and PMCs) have a smallish footprint.   Also you need to look at front or down firing (if reflex or transmission line enclosure) as you won't want to pull them too far away from the wall.   it is a shame you are not close I have a pair of DMC timewindows in the garage at the mo - they are not imposing (quite compact as a floor stander) and have (I think) a wonderful sound quality.

As is usual I would recommend you get in touch with local wammers and see what you can get your ears around to formulate a plan :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, plasticpenguin said:

In isolation, nothing really. As I previously stated am I utilising the most from the Leema? Without covering foot-sore miles backwards and forwards to dealers, there's no real way of telling. And I just don't have the time - and - the enthusiasm for it either. 

Nothing, really?

I understand your lack of enthusiasm for trying new stuff but if you buy used it is possible to sell without much loss.

.

I don't know the Leema but specs suggest geeting bigger speakers would probably be a good idea. But the easiest option is to try a new digital source, perhaps a DAC (if this is the support you listen to the most).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, uzzy said:

Aye i thought that might be the case - and again I am not so sure - it says he has a Pioneer A400x which generally is far less well regarded than the original A400 and having got an A400 myself I find it fine for the conservatory (and the one also in my daughter's bedroom system), if it was me I think I would look to change the Pioneer to something better with a longer term view of changing the loudspeakers - but ya pays your money and makes ya choice.

I missed the Pioneer bit. Where was this mentioned?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
3 minutes ago, tuga said:

I missed the Pioneer bit. Where was this mentioned?

Nowhere I can see :D

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, tuga said:

I missed the Pioneer bit. Where was this mentioned?

Lurch wigwam info  .. but you were probably referring to Timbo though who had already decided he needed to change his loudspeakers.  That is how I guess things get all jumbled up when we do not quote who we are replying to which means we are all talking bollox to the wrong people :rofl:

Edited by uzzy
correction
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.