plasticpenguin

What would you ditch...

... from my set-up?

The only reason is because I love the Leema sound but I'm struggling to really find a viable upgrade for the digital source. Can't afford a Antila CDP brand new and don't really want to splash around 2k on a second hand version. Streamers are out of the equation.

Keep or ditch the Tucana? or ditch the speakers or turntable and look second hand higher end speakers and table?

Absolutely nothing to do with the Leema sound, but feel I'm just not making the most of the Tucana's talents.

Would getting hold of a good s/h Arcam CD37 be more beneficial as it's closer in price and quality to the Pulse MKI, or something like the CD37 with the Tucana?

I know many of you (well some) will always suggest better source, and up to a point I agree. However logic and bank balance would suggest otherwise.

What would you do?

What are you hoping to improve in the digital source? What don't you like about what it delivers now? That will help others to respond more usefully :)

Super Wammer

For digital, have you considered getting a loan of the dacs that have been discussed recently and using your current cdp as a transport? This should then help you define what if anything is missing from your digital replay. 

As your reasonably close I'd be happy to bring my Lector CDP over for you to see if moving up the cdp tree will give you what you want. 

From looking at your current kit list I would say that whilst the TT is good at its price point it is definitely not making the most of the Leemas capabilities so there is room for improvement there. 

For me the sound signature you are currently enjoying comes from the synergy between your amp and speakers so I would leave well alone for the time being. Moving up to a better source would then give you more of what your currently enjoying about your system. 

Edited by Lurch
Spelling
  • Upvote 2

I suppose really I'm not using the system as much as over the last couple of months: My daughter has had mock GCSEs so can't play it late at night like I used to - and I'm starting a new business venture and the money would come in handy but not essential.

So perhaps a downgrade, however, that sound signature is fantastic. Having the Tucana is like  owning a Ferrari when it's only driven to the local shops. It's a waste. 

1 hour ago, plasticpenguin said:

... from my set-up?

The only reason is because I love the Leema sound but I'm struggling to really find a viable upgrade for the digital source. Can't afford a Antila CDP brand new and don't really want to splash around 2k on a second hand version. Streamers are out of the equation.

Keep or ditch the Tucana? or ditch the speakers or turntable and look second hand higher end speakers and table?

Absolutely nothing to do with the Leema sound, but feel I'm just not making the most of the Tucana's talents.

Would getting hold of a good s/h Arcam CD37 be more beneficial as it's closer in price and quality to the Pulse MKI, or something like the CD37 with the Tucana?

I know many of you (well some) will always suggest better source, and up to a point I agree. However logic and bank balance would suggest otherwise.

What would you do?

What in the sound do you think needs improvement?

• Upvote 1

Ideally I would want to be going floor standers in the price range of the Tucana. I find the scale of floor standers so much more satisfying, but obviously may not be possible.

I used to have a CD37 and that is a nice player.

My daughter did her GCSE's last summer. That time will be over very soon, so I wouldn't make it a consideration.

• Upvote 1

I've been looking at the system and I would also change the speakers.

They may not be the weakest link but the system's performance is being limited by the speakers' topology.

5 minutes ago, tuga said:

I've been looking at the system and I would also change the speakers.

They may not be the weakest link but the system's performance is being limited by the speakers' topology.

You've asked him what he doesn't like about the current system...then told him what to do before he has even answered.

You don't even know the size of his room.

That's wannabe gurus for you...:roll:

Edited by savvypaul

My first choice, you have already rejected in your first post...so.....

I would change the speakers - as the Amp is just too good to let go.

Edited by CnoEvil
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, savvypaul said:

You've asked him what he doesn't like about the current system...then told him what to do before he has even answered.

You don't even know the size of his room.

That's wannabe gurus for you...:roll:

Are you stalking again?

1 minute ago, tuga said:

Are you stalking again?

Are you making it up as you go along, again?

If it was me, I'm afraid I'd also be in the camp suggesting looking long and hard at the speakers.

The issue about digital source and turntable also depends on how much of your listening is concentrated on one or the other.

4 minutes ago, rabski said:

If it was me, I'm afraid I'd also be in the camp suggesting looking long and hard at the speakers.

Why?

I've yet to hear a pair that do what I like. That's just me. I don't find them to image well or do the 'disappearing' trick. Quite possibly I've not heard them at their best.

More info from PP would help here. The 'what do you think could be better' and things like room size...