Kegworth Show Information

The information for this year's show is now live at www.thehifishow.com or by clicking on the show banner below.

NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS NOW OPEN - Special Offer....Stay Saturday, join in all the build up excitement on Sat night and then gain FREE access to the show on Sunday

LAST MINUTE WAM HIFI SHOW AVAILABILITY - ONLY A FEW EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 5 SLEEP ONLY ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 3 BIG SYSTEM SPACES LEFT

Snakybyrne

Amp for B&W 801d speakers

I would seriously consider a Hypex Ncore based class D amp, heard good things about them driving 801's.

Super Wammer

I would really echo the advice given regarding your Cyrus amplifiers . While i kinow on this forum they are greatly respected they are very well made units with good drive and control . All told they were probably very expensive as well .

In the first instance I would use the Cyrus set up and get the speakers settled and placed in the best place to drive the new room . Give your self a really good space to listen and get to grips with your new speakers . If they are new then be aware mechanical drivers need to be run in and you may well need to let them play continuosly (but quietly) to give them a stretch . If they are second hand this may not be needed.

Try and realx and listen to your music and if you enjoy then leave the upgrade to another time . If you start to get unhappy with the sound try and listen and identify what parts are making you dissapointed , bass , treble , mid , timing , imaging . The more closely you can identify this the more specific can be the advice that can be offered.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snakybyrne said:

My system is as follows gyro deck  with orbe platter origin live illustrious arm Lyra delos cartridge.

cyrus pre amp and 4 Cyrus mono blocks which would d give me 300 watts per speaker. They will power the B&W 801d speakers.

my room is in a converted chapel  which when complete will be 16 w x 25  L one side of the room is open to the rest of the chapel. 14 ft ceiling. I had some Gershman avant garde speakers but they did not fill the space well. I have not tried the speakers as yet as I  am waiting for delivery.

There is a Krell KSA 100 on ebay at the moment - that should drive them a treat.  If you can find one the Hafler DH200 or 220 or xl 280 will also drive them a treat.

Some guys from a major retailer and importer told me they actually use mosfet PA amps on their systems but I cannot for the life of me remember the name of the make they use.  However, it might be worth checking out Crown, Lab Grupen and other PA amps capable of delivering oodles of power but with refinement.  There are still a lot of people out there using Amcron DC300As out there which seem to be fairly unbustable.    The Lab Grupen make models giving the kind of power necessary for stadiums (they do 4 channel ones if you want an easy way of biamping) but sensible for HiFi I wish someone would give us a review of one of these in a hifi scenario,  stable into loads of 2ohms upwards and 100 watts a side and a 10 year warranty program https://www.labgruppen.com/Categories/Labgruppen/E-SERIES/E-2%3A2/p/P0CPJ#googtrans(en|en)   or how about 2x600 watts https://www.labgruppen.com/Categories/Labgruppen/E-SERIES/E-12%3A2/p/P0CP4#googtrans(en|en)

Shame the hifi mags and reviewers do not have a trawl through the professional performance market to see how the amps work in a conventional hifi set up .. I have to say I could live with an old Amcron DC300A - the sound is "laid back" and a touch softer than the Hafler I love but it does not have any obvious nasties that would have your urging to change the amp every second CD or LP.

When I visited B&W R&D many years ago, they were bi-amping their 801s with Mark Levinson No33s.  That is a LOT of amplification! Starts at 300W into 8 ohms and doubles all the way down to 2400 watts into 1 ohm.  I used to have Cyrus monos and my gut feeling is they wouldn't be enough.

I would consider the Icon Audio MB90's in the classifieds, or see if you can get a home demo. They fit the description of smooth and powerful and are definitely more powerful than the specs would suggest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 21/01/2019 at 12:52, Electro said:

An excellent recommendation !

It is said that the Electrocompaniet Nemo monoblocks were originally conceived to drive the B&W Nautilus speakers.

The Nemo's will drive and completely control any speaker on the planet with 150 amps of current delivery , 600 wpc 8 ohms , 1200 wpc 4 ohms, and 2400 wpc into 2 ohms and complete stability into loads down to 0.5 of an ohm.

This is an internal picture of one monoblock !

image.thumb.png.e45841bc98a8a9078b0937fc4194abf6.png

You'd have no trouble finding that son of a bitch.