Snakybyrne

Amp for B&W 801d speakers

What do people think the best amp for B&W 801d speaker is. I was thinking of using Musical Fidelity 750 watt superchargers. I my also consider bi amping them in the future any thoughts?

Edited by Snakybyrne
Mistake

Pick the make in which you feel most confident.

Personally,  I've been told that 801's go very well with quad amps. The pair I heard so driven certainly sounded great. 

Budget?

I'd try the Luxman M-900U and the Bryston Cubed range for power amplifiers and a Gryphon Diablo 300 for an integrated. Something powerful and smooth.

1 hour ago, Snakybyrne said:

What do people think the best amp for B&W 801d speaker is. I was thinking of using Musical Fidelity 750 watt superchargers. I my also consider bi amping them in the future any thoughts?

Any good amp 100 watts and over should do the trick - as to which - well your ears need to decide methinks .. Unless you have a wammer on here with a pair of 801s making a recommendation then I would tread carefully .. mind you if I had a wammer with some recommending an amp I would tread carefully .. come to think of it that applies to any recommendation :sofa:  I tend to find the comments of what not to put with something usually more beneficial :peace:

Once you've found yourself a good forklift driver (and reinforce the floors of your house), go and home dem as many amps as possible.

Seen these speakers at my localish dealers and they are the perfect demonstration of still life. Beautifully built and look gorgeous.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
11 hours ago, Snakybyrne said:

I’m not sure about the MF. They were designed to boost a lesser amplifier up to high power. They’re cheap for a reason!  Frankly I think you need a purer solution for your speakers.  That means either a traditional pre- and power-amp combination, or a decent integrated.  As mentioned above, smooth and powerful is surely the order of the day.  A bass tone control might be handy unless you’ve a huge room.  

It would help to complete your profile so we can understand the rest of your system, your location (in case other Wammers can loan you something) and an idea of your budget. 

Edited by Nopiano

Notoriously difficult to drive.

Bi-amping might be a good idea, perhaps a pair of Nemos?

A friend visited a mixing and mastering studio that used 5 801Ds powered by them and was very positively Impressed.

Edited by tuga
  • Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, tuga said:

A friend visited a mixing and mastering studio that used 5 801Ds powered by them and was very positively Impressed.

That's problem. Ordinarily B&W are a great match for Rotel but Rotel amps/receivers don't go over 2k IIRC and the amp needs to have gut busting power.

Gawd knows how you re-position the speakers to find its sweet spot. 

5 minutes ago, plasticpenguin said:

That's problem. Ordinarily B&W are a great match for Rotel but Rotel amps/receivers don't go over 2k IIRC and the amp needs to have gut busting power.

Gawd knows how you re-position the speakers to find its sweet spot. 

High-end castors? :mrgreen:

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, tuga said:

High-end castors? :mrgreen:

Not as silly as it’s sounds, they actually come with roller bearing feet for this reason!

@Snakybyrne what is your current amplification? Room size (if you can fit some 801’s in it I’m guessing it’s large)? How loud do you listen? 

In the past I have run my N802’s off a 50W and then a 140W power amp, although only at moderate volume level, without any problems.

11 minutes ago, Blackmetalboon said:

Not as silly as it’s sounds, they actually come with roller bearing feet for this reason!

@Snakybyrne what is your current amplification? Room size (if you can fit some 801’s in it I’m guessing it’s large)? How loud do you listen? 

In the past I have run my N802’s off a 50W and then a 140W power amp, although only at moderate volume level, without any problems.

The heaviest speakers I owned weighed in at 52kg. I stuck 4 felt pads next to the spike holes under each speaker and they slid easily over the wood flooring.

My system is as follows gyro deck  with orbe platter origin live illustrious arm Lyra delos cartridge.

cyrus pre amp and 4 Cyrus mono blocks which would d give me 300 watts per speaker. They will power the B&W 801d speakers.

my room is in a converted chapel  which when complete will be 16 w x 25  L one side of the room is open to the rest of the chapel. 14 ft ceiling. I had some Gershman avant garde speakers but they did not fill the space well. I have not tried the speakers as yet as I  am waiting for delivery.

Super Wammer

Ah, I remembered B&W and a chapel from before!  I’d definitely use the Cyrus amps for a while until you’ve fine tuned the position and got used to the sound.  You might never need more, but there are lots of big amps out there...!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, tuga said:

An excellent recommendation !

It is said that the Electrocompaniet Nemo monoblocks were originally conceived to drive the B&W Nautilus speakers.

The Nemo's will drive and completely control any speaker on the planet with 150 amps of current delivery , 600 wpc 8 ohms , 1200 wpc 4 ohms, and 2400 wpc into 2 ohms and complete stability into loads down to 0.5 of an ohm.

This is an internal picture of one monoblock !

image.thumb.png.e45841bc98a8a9078b0937fc4194abf6.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2