eddie-baby

Can anyone recommend a decent soldering iron (better than the throw away types)

I picked this up for £25 and it's surprisingly good.

Holife Soldering Iron Station, 60W 

Binned the weird spool attachment on the side and fitted a chisel tip, as it came with a tiny conical one.

Edited by brystonian

4 hours ago, brystonian said:

I picked this up for £25 and it's surprisingly good.

Holife Soldering Iron Station, 60W 

Binned the weird spool attachment on the side and fitted a chisel tip, as it came with a tiny conical one.

How long have you had it?  Reliability is always the worry with cheaper gear.

Two months and I've used it about 6-7 times, so can't comment as to its long term reliability.

I'm just getting into electronics, so didn't want to go nuts. 

Bought an Hakko FX-888D off Ebay a couple of years ago and its a joy to use.  After watching a few Youtube videos I am now satisfied that, as advertised, it is a genuine one.  I would have sent it back if it wasn't.

It is a great compliment of the model that they are being faked and that even some buyers of the faked ones are happy with their purchases.

On 09/12/2019 at 21:22, stylesound said:

Bought an Hakko FX-888D off Ebay a couple of years ago and its a joy to use.  After watching a few Youtube videos I am now satisfied that, as advertised, it is a genuine one.  I would have sent it back if it wasn't.

It is a great compliment of the model that they are being faked and that even some buyers of the faked ones are happy with their purchases.

The 10 cheap tips I ordered arrived today.  They are of a smaller diameter than the original, but the heavy duty tip still works OK.  At least I can now solder speaker terminals.

Been using a Solon iron for years, eventually the copper tip wore away.  Don't do as much soldering as I used to.  Bought a Merterk soldering iron kit from Amazon, to put me on for a while.  Had it for nearly two years and am more than happy with it.  A variety of tips, temperature adjustable and heats up quickly.  Comes with a solder sucker, stand, solder, all in a work box.  Great value at £15.79.

Edited by Ron Hilditch
Spelling

I've used basic Antex irons for years, and they've always worked well and reliably - I currently have a 25w one with a 2.3mm tip, and an 18w one with a 1mm tip. I rarely need high power for connecting cables and the like, but for occasions when I do I have a cheap (~£4) Chinese 60w iron that works just fine.

This is just the power unit....extremely rare to see a new one of these...I reckon you'll get it for £30.00...you'd then need a 24 volt iron...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Weller-PU-2D-Soldering-Iron-Power-Unit-Station-Stand/283701480155?epid=1123115415&hash=item420ded0adb:g:SMQAAOSw6IJd6j~t

• Like 1

At work I use a well used and well trusted Weller.
At home I use a https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/soldering-irons/2315332/ Antex which seems reliable enough, had to replace it recently, but had the same model before and that lasted about 10 years (until I stood on it....)
Can't go to far wrong with either.
A good solder works wonders as well - a nice general purpose one like https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/solders/0555235/ is a joy to work with. Obviously we use a few different ones here - finer stuff for IC rework - hotter stuff for sacrificial resistors in valve amps etc

2019-12-13%2009.37.36.jpg?raw=1

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1