marktjp

DAC is important, but does the digital source matter?

3 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

I suspect only because you have a certain point of view that is contrary to some of the views expressed in the thread. xD

Are you Mr Pot or Mr Kettle...?:dunno:

Super Wammer
15 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

Well you and Rob are making the assertion that more taps equals better sound quality, it is rather up to you to prove it.

Without proof it is just anecdote.

Keith

The difference between you and me is that I have bought my Chord kit for my own listening pleasure and so if I think it sounds better then that is all that matters to me. I have no need, requirement or indeed interest in convincing  you.

On the other hand you are a dealer who is making claims on behalf of kit that you are selling and you therefore have to tread a different path.

Super Wammer
50 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

Spot on Flash, without measurements it is just someone else's self delusion or marketing spiel; with measurements it is my self delusion or marketing spiel.

Keith

FTFY

There is more to proof than measurements.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
56 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

Well you and Rob are making the assertion that more taps equals better sound quality, it is rather up to you to prove it.

Without proof it is just anecdote.

Keith

And you are making the assertion that only measurable differences are real differences. Can you prove that?

I bet you've wowed some women in your time by calibrating them to a known baseline and scoring them an impressive 8.53.

I don't know if the original poster is still listening, but I missed where the actual source material is coming from?

Is it full bandwidth 'CD' audio or compressed MP3?

That will make far more difference than any intervening cable/DAC combination.

However, don't underestimate the psycho-acoustical effect. Whilst we want the sound pressure waves at our ears to be as good as they can, our actual experience of music occurs somewhere inside the brain. So a whole lot of other stuff, knowledge of the system, visual cues, memories etc. impact on that experience. :)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Ok, I am sure the peeps left on this tread are well into the diversion it's taken, but let me make another.

NVIDIA tech support say the Shield Android TV box doesn't output HD audio from the USB, only via USB and an optical adapter(???)

"The audio support is available through the USB port. However, the HD audio support works only with the optical output through the USB to optical adapters and may not work on the direct USB audio devices."

And he recommended an adapter like this cheapie
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Turtle-Advantage-Analog-Digital-Adapter/dp/B00K83BHZQ

I wonder how this could make sense, how would the output via USB suddenly support HD if one had this adapter attached, is that nonsense or possible?

tx

Mark 

Does anyone have an appetite for a thread discussing RFI?

It fascinates me that some peoples lives are ruined by what they say is RFI. To me it is one of the most nebulous concepts spoken about in relation to enjoying music. 

Super Wammer

Why don’t you start one? It will be cr4pped on by the naysayers and I will be accused of trying to sell cables but if you want an informative thread then why not have a go. 

22 hours ago, PuritéAudio said:

That is disappointing, not dissimilar to the Mytek designer stating that his DACs sounded better with an aftermarket linear power supply.

Keith

Why exactly is that 'disappointing?'

As far as I'm aware, Mytek themselves don't sell such a product, so with no dog in the race, if the designer's ears tell him a PSU can change/improve the sound of his product then from my perspective that's quite an interesting take on things. It's not a brand to which I pay much attention, but I believe Mytek products generally offer very high levels of measured performance?

Edited by notevenclose

I'd like to put forward a motion of no confidence in Keiht please.

Edited by bandit pilot
Language

Super Dealer
2 hours ago, marktjp said:

Ok, I am sure the peeps left on this tread are well into the diversion it's taken, but let me make another.

NVIDIA tech support say the Shield Android TV box doesn't output HD audio from the USB, only via USB and an optical adapter(???)

"The audio support is available through the USB port. However, the HD audio support works only with the optical output through the USB to optical adapters and may not work on the direct USB audio devices."

And he recommended an adapter like this cheapie
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Turtle-Advantage-Analog-Digital-Adapter/dp/B00K83BHZQ

I wonder how this could make sense, how would the output via USB suddenly support HD if one had this adapter attached, is that nonsense or possible?

tx

Mark 

That device looks like a USB t s/pdif over optical converter, I can’t seehow it would enable higher sample rates , usually optical/toslink is limited to 24/96?

@ Notevenclose , it just means that the dac’s own internal filtration and  regulation aren’t  up to snuff, which in my opinion is a little disappointing .

Keith

Perhaps that's just your personal opinion rather than a matter of fact, even though you generally like to present the two as being essentially the same thing.

Super Dealer

Not my opinion, that is what the designer of the dac stated.

Keith

10 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

@ Notevenclose , it just means that the dac’s own internal filtration and  regulation aren’t  up to snuff, which in my opinion is a little disappointing .

Keith

If measurements are the sole arbiter of everything, I assume you'll have been in touch with JA to explain where he's going wrong?

Writing from his test bench, JA praised the Brooklyn's "very low" noise, "superb" rejection of word-clock jitter, and "excellent" signal/noise ratio, among other things, from its phono stage, and concluded: "the Mytek Brooklyn's measured performance is superb . . . color me impressed."
Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/recommended-components-fall-2017-edition-digital-processors#SH8rSjBFHhStyb7P.99

Super Wammer
5 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

Keith

You might possibly be a little disappointed many times then with other DACs. You have no idea about other DACs and their performance in this area and instead are naively happy to take a manufacturers say so on a DAC which you sell as being conclusive evidence of the performance of that DAC (RME). Your presentation of your assumption as fact is misleading.