marktjp

DAC is important, but does the digital source matter?

Sorry Keith, I'm all for measurements and racionality but your approach is just too simplistic and honestly not very well supported. You believe in measurements just as others believe in their ears but your understanding of those measurements and the technicalities behind them is very limited. It wouldn't harm to open your mind a bit. Observation has always been an important part of science.

• Like 3

Super Dealer

Tuga, if something has changed then there will be measurements to support it, how often do we hear unsupported anecdote, I know how easy it is to ‘believe’ you hear an improvement when in fact nothing has changed.

I only ask for a little stringency.

Keith

3 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

Tuga, if something has changed then there will be measurements to support it, how often do we hear unsupported anecdote, I know how easy it is to ‘believe’ you hear an improvement when in fact nothing has changed.

I only ask for a little stringency.

Keith

You believe that the USB filters were amazing, now you believe that the RME is perfect and cannot be bettered or improved. Or so you say.

Learn how to listen, and you may be surprised.

Have you ever had a display with a dead pixel? My display has 1,296,000 pixels, yet a single dead pixel once spotted will always stand out...

Super Wammer

Keith, no, you repeat as gospel anything that RME say (for the benefit of others did we forget to say that Keith sells RME) and yet you happily disparage other manufacturers whose products I think I am right in saying are tested by Stereophile as measuring better than RME. 

Above all, have a little bit of faith in your ears. If you have no faith in your ears then I have no idea why you are in this game. 

Edited by Fourlegs

Super Dealer

Chord DACs, at least the ones I have seen measurements for are excellent , the ‘tap’ thing doesn’t improve SQ but is excellent marketing.

I listen all the time, but one’s ears ( and brain) are just not reliable, I just want to ensure that perceived differences are corroborated by measurement.

Keiht

Super Wammer
8 hours ago, PuritéAudio said:

Chord DACs, at least the ones I have seen measurements for are excellent , the ‘tap’ thing doesn’t improve SQ but is excellent marketing.

I listen all the time, but one’s ears ( and brain) are just not reliable, I just want to ensure that perceived differences are corroborated by measurement.

Keiht

Eikht

you missed off a required ‘IMO’ when you say that the tap length does not improve SQ. Unless of course you have your favoured measurements and graphs to back up your claim. I rather suspect though that it is just another of your wild statements which actually no factual basis. 

Can you provide a link to back up what you are saying?

• Upvote 1

Super Dealer

If you have any measurements that show increased tap length improves performance I would be interested to see them.

Keith

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-chord-mojo-dac-and-amp.5120/

Super Wammer

Keith,

If you wish to make a point then explaining in your own words why you think something is the case is a much better way rather than just dumping a random link with no explanation.

Edited by Tony_J
Childish behaviour
  • Upvote 1

Super Dealer

From Amir’s, review, cited above,

Quote,

‘ Convinced by his own experiments (sighted and unscientific unfortunately), he believes the more precision he puts in these filters, the better the sound gets. He has taken this to incredible extremes in his higher-end DACs but that formula also exists in this little unit.’

If Rob has posted some results of unsighted taps/sound  quality  comparisons, that are unknown to me  I would be interested to red them.

Keith

Super Wammer

K,

Thanks but you  said, "the ‘tap’ thing doesn’t improve SQ" and for the life of me I cannot see anything from you to back up your specific assertion and certainly nothing in your quote from Amir.

Super Wammer

It is disappointing and tiresome that Keith insists that nothing exists which is not measurable, that anything other than a statement backed up by numbers is self-delusion or marketing spiel. 

It is doubly disappointing that he insists on criticising others with a commercial interest by rather childishly implying “you would say that, wouldn’t you” while having an obvious commercial agenda of his own. 

The above two add up to “I only sell stuff which measures well, stuff I don’t sell doesn’t sound as good, so buy my stuff”. How compelling.

Edited by TheFlash

Indeed. These threads are incredibly dreary and repetitive. In the good old days of the ‘Wam they’d have been laughed, p*ss taken and insulted into a locked thread long before this, and rightly so!

• Upvote 3

Super Dealer
20 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

K,

Thanks but you  said, "the ‘tap’ thing doesn’t improve SQ" and for the life of me I cannot see anything from you to back up your specific assertion and certainly nothing in your quote from Amir.

Well you and Rob are making the assertion that more taps equals better sound quality, it is rather up to you to prove it.

Without proof it is just anecdote.

Keith

Super Dealer
22 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

It is disappointing and tiresome that Keith insists that nothing exists which is not measurable, that anything other than a statement backed up by numbers is self-delusion or marketing spiel. 

It is doubly disappointing that he insists on criticising others with a commercial interest by rather childishly implying “you would say that, wouldn’t you” while having an obvious commercial agenda of his own. 

The above two add up to “I only sell stuff which measures well, stuff I don’t sell doesn’t sound as good, so buy my stuff”. How compelling.

Spot on Flash, without proof  it is just self delusion or marketing spiel.

Keith

Super Wammer
8 minutes ago, Beobloke said:

These threads are incredibly dreary and repetitive.

I suspect only because you have a certain point of view that is contrary to some of the views expressed in the thread. xD